How accurate are the anschutz 146, 1903?

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Senator Vitaman

How accurate are the anschutz 146, 1903?

Post by Senator Vitaman »

Well, I'm still trying to decide if I should get a 1903, or save for a 1907 or the like. So, how accurate are these 2 rifles? Can they shoot 1 MOA or less, so I can reliably hit the 100 yard smallbore target 10 ring, with match ammo? Anyone actually measured this?
Soupy44

Post by Soupy44 »

It is generally accepted that the 54 action in the 1907 is superior to the 64 action of the 1903. This was supported in a discussion with 10 Ring at Perry. I also can't think of anyone other than juniors that use the 64 action.
Senator Vitaman

Post by Senator Vitaman »

I know they won't be as accurate as the 54s, but I'd like to know what the difference, especially since I'm already having trouble affording the 64.

Post by Guest »

If you're just starting out, you won't notice the difference for a while. I think it is better to buy a rifle you can afford (after all, it IS still an Anschutz) and shoot/learn to shoot with it, than wait & not shoot until you can afford a more expensive gun.
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

Sure ... the 1903's and 1907's will shoot sub-moa with even decent ammo
But so will Marlin 2000's and CM-2's and the like, again with decent ammo (such as the SK JAGD STD Plus that is our practice ammo)

Your'e looking for how well you can get the rifle to fit you, and I also happen to think the superior triggers in the high end match guns (Anschutz, Walther, etc) make a difference too.

I agree with "Guest" above ... all of these will outshoot the shooter for a while...
Soupy44

Post by Soupy44 »

The problem with getting the 64 is that you will almost certainly spend more in the end. While these guns do keep their value well, you're likely going to end up selling it for a 54.

And I agree with the above post, you've got to get a stock that fits. The 1903 was made as an intermediate junior gun. The trigger is also a pain to adjust on the 64 action. It only has 3 screws: weight, sear, and length. The 54 action trigger has 5, first stage weight, first stage length, second stage weight, second stage length, and sear. The 3 screw trigger is just a pain to work with when you're trying to get it just right.
ol coach

Post by ol coach »

I don't know that you'd want a beginner fiddling with triggers anyway. Based on his postings, he needs good training time with any rifle first, let alone worrying about minutiae. Some people spend too much time fiddling with the equipment rather than building their fundamentals.
2650 Plus

Model 64

Post by 2650 Plus »

The best target I ve seen with a 1903 was a 100 w 7 centers. My advice would still be a 1907 with alum stock. Thats what I bought for the 12 year old girl that shot the target I mentioned. The reason is that the 1907 and the 1912 will give you the accuracy to repeat the top scores if your technique is up to that level. Good Shooting Bill Horton