Teach me the art of looking at the front sight

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Negrin

Teach me the art of looking at the front sight

Post by Negrin »

Everybody kept telling me to look at the front sight. Focus on the front sight.

Do you look at it with your might, as if looking through a black hole, to the exclusion of everything else?

Stare at the front sight until nothing else seem to exist?
ColinC

Post by ColinC »

Just look at the front sight as if nothing else exists. Make it nice and clear and sharp.

Don't even worry about the target - you know what it looks like. If you have been shooting for a while, the grey-matter between your ears will factor in side issues like where the pistol is pointing and whether the front sight is positioned in the rear sight.

Slowly increase trigger pressure as you wobble in your area of aim and bang, another 10.9. So easy ;-)
2650 Plus

Focus on the front sight

Post by 2650 Plus »

First, begin to convince yourself that the only thing not moving is the target,so you dont have to look at it. Next not only focus your shooting eye on the front sight ,but focus your mind as well on what alligned sights are supposed to look like. Now there is another issue that you must consider. Both time of focus with the eye and concentration on the sights with the mind have limits. So, Let me sugest that you develope a fairly aggressive steadily incresing pressure straight to the rear so as to cause the pistol to fire before you approach those limits, and a pressure that does not cause misalignment of the sights. Shoot tens!! Good Shooting Bill Horton
seamaster

Post by seamaster »

ColinC wrote:Just look at the front sight as if nothing else exists. Make it nice and clear and sharp.

Don't even worry about the target - you know what it looks like. If you have been shooting for a while, the grey-matter between your ears will factor in side issues like where the pistol is pointing and whether the front sight is positioned in the rear sight.

Slowly increase trigger pressure as you wobble in your area of aim and bang, another 10.9. So easy ;-)

This is very, very said !!
Ernie Rodriguez

Front Sight Focus

Post by Ernie Rodriguez »

1)focus on front sight. 2)Sight alignment as good as you are capable. 3)MOST IMPORTANT-Once you start putting pressure on trigger-DO NOT STOP even though arm might quiver or sight alignment might slightly deteriorate. A SURPRISE SHOT,within your holding area,is usually much better than a shot produced by CHICKEN FINGERING or SNATCHING.
Philadelphia

Post by Philadelphia »

Try shooting at blank targets for a while.

One well said piece of advice I picked up on this board was when someone very succinctly said "nothing interesting happens at the target." Maybe try a few practice sessions where you repeat that important observation to youself.

If none of that works, try a few sessions where you rub a small amount of chalk on the part of the front sight you see and work to resolve each tiny bit of chalk dust in your vision as you apply your visual focus on it. If you aren't really focused on the front sight, you will know it right away.
PETE S

Post by PETE S »

no simple trick, focusing on the front sight. I struggle regularly with this and I am not sure that you truly learn it and be done with it. I think you have to keep training to do it all the time. In one sense, it is very simple, you have to decide to focus on the front sight. But...

Every shooter in the world thinks that they are focused on the front sight. After all, they see it and it looks aligned. If you hold the pistol up in front of the target, you sort of see the front sight. That does not mean you are seeing and focusing and paying attention the way you have to to be a high class shooter.

Rather than "focus," I like the term "attention" on the front sight to help distinguish between physical aspect of focusing the lens of eye and mental focus. You have to do both.

To learn, I would suggest you use the search function and read the contributions of Steve Swartz. He has suggested a series of drills and perspectives on this very subject that I find very helpful.
GaryN

Post by GaryN »

And unfortunately your age affects this as well.
When you have "middle-age-eyes" you can't focus on the front sight w/o optical help (glasses). I had to have a special pair of pistol glasses made, because I just could not focus on the front sight w my regular glasses. Read the "hitchikers guide" in the training section of the pilkguns site. There is an article on shooting glasses.
mikeschroeder

Post by mikeschroeder »

Philadelphia wrote:Try shooting at blank targets for a while.
Hi

I gotta try that again, I tried it last year, but it stunk. Now that I have glasses that allow me to focus on the front sight, I'll have more success. I could focus on the REAR sight though.

Mike
Wichita KS