What do Olympians use

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Mike Peters

What do Olympians use

Post by Mike Peters »

This topic came up for discussion at our local club. I Googled the question in a variety of ways, got little back bar gun maker claims to fame with little detail. So now to the real source of information ;)

What air pistols do Olympians / World Cup shooters use? Specifically - brand, model (eg mechanical Vs electronic, long Vs short barrel)
Mike M.

Post by Mike M. »

The reports from the last few Olympic Games have indicated that it's a fight between the Steyr LP1/LP10 and Morini 162e. Each accounts for about 45%, all others for 10%.
Tycho

Post by Tycho »

You can check it out at www.issf.tv

Post by Guest »

Mike M. wrote:The reports from the last few Olympic Games have indicated that it's a fight between the Steyr LP1/LP10 and Morini 162e. Each accounts for about 45%, all others for 10%.
In the Beijing 10m final, the 8 finalist Women used Steyr technology (7 Steyr, one Anschutz LP@ = the Anschutz derivative of the LP10) pistol.

Five of the six 10m medals (2 gold, 2 silver, one bronze) went to shooters using an LP10.

The new 10m men world record (594) was shot by Jin Jong Oh at 2009 Korea WC using and LP10.
batty

Post by batty »

Anonymous wrote:
In the Beijing 10m final, the 8 finalist Women used Steyr technology (7 Steyr, one Anschutz LP@ = the Anschutz derivative of the LP10) pistol.
Bare in mind that Anschutz own 51% of Steyr!! so the working are likely to be very similar
Mike Peters

Post by Mike Peters »

Thanks for that.

Tried the recommended site but couldn't find the nitty gritty of:
- short Vs long barrels
- electronic Vs mechanical triggers (I know the LP10 is just coming out with one. But if the Morini is so popular, does anyone know the distribution of E Vs M triggers)?
nanozamora

top shooters technology

Post by nanozamora »

Top shooters use proved technology, I dont know wy, but many people in olympics use CO2 pistols.
Ok, are steyr pistols, but many are LP1.
I see a russian young shooter factory sponsored by FWB, using a p34(older tha p44 and p40).

The exception is that the Corean shooter Jong Oh JIN, he use LP10 pistol

Assume that this trend of using old guns is not good for marketing factories.

Post by Guest »

Steyr and Morini are most common at the absolute top level. Then some shooters have other favourites such as Walther, FWB, Pardini etc. The gun is the easiest part, lots of good high performance brands. Pellets are also easy lots of easy high perfomance brands.

Then the easy part is done, then it´s hard work for years that builds a top level shooter. And the shooter that develops and maintains a total skill set that allows him/her to perform good in every situation, becomes a true champion.
Patrick Haynes

Re: top shooters technology

Post by Patrick Haynes »

nanozamora wrote:Top shooters use proved technology, I dont know wy, but many people in olympics use CO2 pistols.
I would disagree with this statement. Going to a world cup, you will be hard pressed to find C02 onsite. The overwhelming majority of top shooters are using compressed air.

Steyr LP10s and Morini 162EIs hold the majority. There is a split between short vs long, but that is a personal preference, with strong arguments for and against. Same goes with the Morini electronic trigger. Its been proven safe and reliable. Steyr's new electronic trigger needs a couple of years on the market before I'd recommend it. Besides, in my experience, Steyr's service is very poor, even to international competitors at world cups. I'll stick with the excellent service provided by Morini. (Pardini service is also great, by the way.)

That being said, the best gun isn't the one that some medallist uses. The best gun is the one that you diligently train with.

Patrick
bryan

Post by bryan »

What air pistols do Olympians / World Cup shooters use? Specifically - brand, model (eg mechanical Vs electronic, long Vs short barrel)
most use the one offering the best contract!

till you are offered a contract, use the one you find most suitable for you, bearing in mind, what you may like now, may not be suitable in a years time.
so I decided to buy an LP10, may or maynot be the best, but it is proven more than suitable to the highest level.
bryan

Post by bryan »

doh
Last edited by bryan on Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Henry

what air pistol use by top shooters

Post by Henry »

What are the pellets tey use.
brands( R10 ,Final match, Vogel )
weight ( 50g ,53g )
cal (4.49 , 4.50 ,4.51) ..?

rgds
henry
gandalfpc

Post by gandalfpc »

pellet choice will depend upon two things - the exact barrel diameter, which will vary even on two guns of the same model - and on the shooters preference - but the choices will pretty much always be one of the high quality match pellets - H&N Finale, R10, Meisterkugeln, Vogel - any pellet that has production and inspection procedures to assure that each pellet is exactly the same diameter and weight, with a consistent finish on each

best to lock your gun into a vise - grab a variety of high quality pellets and test groups of 5 shots

I have found that all high quality pellets, even of various diameters, will shoot "very well" and through a single hole - but the best pellet fit will shoot a single round hole nearly the size of a single pellet - R10 .50 diameter for me - other quality pellets form a single larger hole up to 2 pellet diameters

poor quality pellets (which includes gamo match for me) can easily shoot groups that do not fall within a single hole - up to 4 or 5 pellets widths for lesser quality daisy pellets

note that it takes a good clamping in the vise, a gentle trigger pull, and a good match quality gun to shoot a single hole approx the size of a single pellet...
Thinkqob

Post by Thinkqob »

they use STEYR LP10 a lot
http://archerfish.org/
JamesH

Post by JamesH »

What do Olympians use?

They use whatever works for them to acheive their highest possible performance.