Anschutz 1807 Olympic - need insight and advice

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

MochiMochi

Anschutz 1807 Olympic - need insight and advice

Post by MochiMochi »

Hi All,

(I'm an experienced shooter - but new to this forum and new to anschutz - your patience with my ignorance is appreciated.) unlike some of the makers I'm familiar with Anschutz seems to have a model line that is rather "thick" with variants and model numbers. I'm in the market for a small bore target rifle, and I came across a gent who has what sounds like a nice rifle for sale. but I know nothing about it and would really appreciate any insight into this gun and its market value.

the rifle in question is an 1807 (1984 Olympic Edition / Kit). I've seen only a few bits of info on the 1807, I know there there are versions with and without magazine etc. From the few images I've seen the gun has nice lines. the one I'm going to look at is supposed to be very low use and in pristine condition. Not more than a couple of hundred rounds fired.

Anyone know anything about this gun? or what a good market value would be for it?

Are there any problem areas I should be concerned with. Any things I should look for and avoid?

Thanks in advance.

Post by Guest »

The 1807 was manufactured from 1980-1987. It was intended for prone/3-P shooting under the UIT Standard rifle class. These were used by women in International and Olympic competition (men generally used the heavier Free Rifle), and also by ordinary shooters who wanted a lighter rifle.

It was built on Anschutz'z Match 54 target action, and had a two stage match trigger and a 66cm barrel. All 1807s that I've come across (along with all other prone/3-P Anschutz rifles) are single shot. If a magazine fed version was made, these are rare. Weight should be about 10.5-11lb.

The stock can be adjusted for fit; butt length and cheekpiece height can be altered by inserting spacers between the stock and the buttplate/cheekpiece (washers or nuts over the retaining bolts work well). The butt plate can be raised or lowered. The handstop/sling swivel (prone and kneeling) can be adjusted along the fore-end rail. The stock cannot be adjusted so easily or finely as some, but at the time UIT Standard Rifle rules mandated this.

Overall the 1807 is a nice rifle, certainly suitable for the beginner prone 3-P shooter.

I won't give prices, as values for used Anschutzes are rather lower here in Britain than in the US. Over here £300-400 ish???

Tim S

Exeter UK
MochiMochi

thanks!

Post by MochiMochi »

this information is much appreciated Tim - thank you.
Bert09

1807 vs match 54 and 1911???

Post by Bert09 »

Interesting feedback - many thanks for this.
I was looking for a 1911 (an old freind that always shot well for me) but 1911s seem very hard to find.
I've found loads of match 54s on the market and the occasional 1807.
Do you know if there are any real pros/ cons to compare these?
I'm mainly looking for prone equipment although 3P would be nice to keep as an option.
I don't suppose anyone knows of a tabular overview of the different Anschutz Offerings?

Post by Guest »

Match 54 vs 1807?

Match 54 is often used to describe models from the 1960s and 1970s, as Anschutz didn't mark the specific model number on all rifles (although the 1911 yopu used would have been marked 1913 Supermatch). This could cover 1407 UIT Standards, 1411 Prone, 1413 Supermatch. These have the same basic shape/features as their current counterpart, but have much less ergonomic adjustment to the stock - for example Anschutz only started fitting the 1411 and 1413 with an adjustable cheekpiece in the 1970s (all 1407s have a fixed cheekpiece). The older rifles also have a less sophisticated trigger. If you can live with this, a 14xx rifle could work well, although the barrel may have been used more.

I've described the 1807 above; it's not bad for prone, although it's not the perfect choice.

You may find 1911s hard to find as I believe Anschutz discontinued the model a few years ago.

Tim S

Exeter UK
Bert09

1911 etc

Post by Bert09 »

Hi Tim

umm tricky.... Clearly it would be too easy for them to make the naming easy:)

my understanding of the 1911 was that it was a prone only rifle with a supermatch barel so a bit lighter.
A quick Google turned up the following which made sense to me....

http://www.probertencyclopaedia.com/cgi ... 1&offset=0

I'm pretty sure the rifle we used to have was marked 1911 on the side.

Ok so now to ask you the BIG question...
If you could choose a second hand .22 for prone 25m and 50m shooting - what we you look for?

I'm sure loads of people have asked the same question - I did try searching on the forum and found loads of excellent info but not quite what I was looking for....