Sydney World Masters Games.

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Alex L

Sydney World Masters Games.

Post by Alex L »

I see that there are 4 Pistol shooters from USA coming to Sydney for the Games, (according to the competitor's list).
Are any of them from Seattle or Denver?
I met some shooters in Denver when I was there in 2005.

I look forward to meeting them all when we are in Sydney, and I will look out for them at the Games.

I hope to travel to USA next year - to Seattle -and it would be fun to meet up again with a Games competitor.

If anyone is coming to Melbourne, then contact me as I would be happy to show them my home Club.
Regards,
Alex L.
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

Alex, the games look like a lot of fun. When is the last day to sign up and how difficult is it to bring the guns into the country for the competition? I shoot with some of the Denver shooters. Who did you meet in 2005? Isabel
Nev C

Post by Nev C »

Hi Isabel1130, this link will take you to the NSW Police web site. Click on the Overseas Competitors link to see what is involved in bringing guns to Oz for competitions.
Good luck with the paperwork :)

http://www.police.nsw.gov.au/about_us/s ... s/firearms
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

Bringing firearms into AUS is no more difficult than for most other international transfers, and less difficult than some.

As a word of warning:
- ensure that the airlines you will be using will carry firearms (and ammunition) - get this in writing. One of the incoming teams for the Arafura Games found that their airline (bookings made by their National Federation) would not carry firearms when they tried to book-in!
- get (and carry) any airlines' permits for firearms/ammunition
- you will need to declare the firearms and ammunition at check-in
- ammunition (IATA max of 5kg) will need to be in a separate, locked container (most airlines' paperwork does not mention 'locked' - which makes life difficult if you find out at check-in.

See you at the Masters,
Spencer
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

Spencer wrote:Bringing firearms into AUS is no more difficult than for most other international transfers, and less difficult than some.

As a word of warning:
- ensure that the airlines you will be using will carry firearms (and ammunition) - get this in writing. One of the incoming teams for the Arafura Games found that their airline (bookings made by their National Federation) would not carry firearms when they tried to book-in!
- get (and carry) any airlines' permits for firearms/ammunition
- you will need to declare the firearms and ammunition at check-in
- ammunition (IATA max of 5kg) will need to be in a separate, locked container (most airlines' paperwork does not mention 'locked' - which makes life difficult if you find out at check-in.

See you at the Masters,
Spencer
I am pretty sure I am going to fly United. I know their regulations but I will be sure and lock the ammo in a seperate case. I only need 500 rounds but will bring 750 to make sure.
Mike M.

Post by Mike M. »

I've taken firearms to Australia twice, for the 2000 and 2008 World Muzzle-Loading Championships. Getting in isn't that much of a problem, but be warned - you need ANOTHER permit to leave, a third or fourth if you cross state lines within Australia. Painful.
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

Mike M. wrote:I've taken firearms to Australia twice, for the 2000 and 2008 World Muzzle-Loading Championships. Getting in isn't that much of a problem, but be warned - you need ANOTHER permit to leave, a third or fourth if you cross state lines within Australia. Painful.
Can you acquire that permit in conjunction with the one to get them in or is it a seperate process once you get there? Isabel
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

Isabel1130 wrote:
Mike M. wrote:I've taken firearms to Australia twice, for the 2000 and 2008 World Muzzle-Loading Championships. Getting in isn't that much of a problem, but be warned - you need ANOTHER permit to leave, a third or fourth if you cross state lines within Australia. Painful.
Can you acquire that permit in conjunction with the one to get them in or is it a seperate process once you get there? Isabel
from a local:
- we will arrange your export paperwork at the range
- never heard of the requirement for interstate permits (well; not in the last 20 years...). While our 'uniform licensing laws' across the AUS states might not be perfectly uniform, each state recognises permits issued in other states.

Spencer

Post by 220 »

Visting pistol shooters may be interested in knowing the NSW State ISSF Tittles are being held at SISC the weekend before the World Masters (3rd,4th&5th October).
A good chance for anyone in Sydney the week before to shoot a competition at the World Masters venue. I haven't seen entry forms yet but am sure someone can manage a link when they become available.
Nev C

Storage requirements

Post by Nev C »

Be aware that overseas competitors will not be allowed to store firearms in their hotel rooms, secure storage must be arranged before the permit application is made.
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

from a local:
- we will arrange your export paperwork at the range
- never heard of the requirement for interstate permits (well; not in the last 20 years...). While our 'uniform licensing laws' across the AUS states might not be perfectly uniform, each state recognises permits issued in other states. "

Spencer

I have reviewed the application and it seems pretty straight forward but I have a few questions. The first one is that they say this in the instructions for the form.

"if you are importing semi-automatic firearms, application
must be made to the Attorney General's Department for
permission to import - Phone 61-2-62506730 from overseas
or 02 62506730 from within Australia."

Does this mean that my single shot air pistol and my free pistol are fine because they are both single shot but there is a chance I will not be allowed to bring in my Feinwerkbau AW-93 which I would use for sport pistol and the standard pistol competition? Or does it just require more paperwork?
Here is the link to the instructions in question
http://www.police.nsw.gov.au/__data/ass ... permit.pdf

My other question is that they refer to getting the police to sign off on my application. Where I live the County Sheriff’s department is the one that issues concealed carry permits and handles background checks before issuing them. Can I get a Deputy Sheriff to sign the form? The city police here have nothing to do with it and probably would not sign as they are not the one running the background investigations. Thanks, Kate
Nev C

Post by Nev C »

Isabel1130 wrote:
"if you are importing semi-automatic firearms, application
must be made to the Attorney General's Department for
permission to import - Phone 61-2-62506730 from overseas
or 02 62506730 from within Australia."

Does this mean that my single shot air pistol and my free pistol are fine because they are both single shot but there is a chance I will not be allowed to bring in my Feinwerkbau AW-93 which I would use for sport pistol and the standard pistol competition? Or does it just require more paperwork?
Here is the link to the instructions in question
http://www.police.nsw.gov.au/__data/ass ... permit.pdf

My other question is that they refer to getting the police to sign off on my application. Where I live the County Sheriff’s department is the one that issues concealed carry permits and handles background checks before issuing them. Can I get a Deputy Sheriff to sign the form? The city police here have nothing to do with it and probably would not sign as they are not the one running the background investigations. Thanks, Kate
I would think that the reference to semi automatic firearms means semi automatic long arms which are prohibited in Australia. Semi auto handguns are legal here and you will be allowed to bring them in.
John Hadjichristou

Post by John Hadjichristou »

Isabel, (and others considering attending) don't let the paperwork overwhelm you too much.
I believe your Sherrif's department would suffice to being a substitute for Police. We Aussie's just don't use the word sherrif down under.
Storage is not a problem. State that you will store at the SISC facilities - which is what you will and can do. Incidentally, my personal advice is that you would not bother to bring any ammunition. Buy it from SISC. In fact, you can pre order what you want now by going to their web site. Even better, it's all in AUD $'s - so the prices should be acceptable. Over the counter ammunition sales will also be available at SISC during the competition.
Spencer has clarified that any paperowrk needed to return to your country would be done once you are here.
The instruction form (for which you provided a link to) for temporary overseas competitor permit is easy to follow. Tick the boxes as you go, make sure you haven't left anything out. A good description of your pistols (5 shot semi automatic, self load handgun, calibre .22, S/N xxxx) is important. Police/firearms branches here tend to call all pistols - handguns. Make sure any part of the form that asks for barrel length is quoted correctly. Aussie departments handling this are usually reknowned for being helpful.
Sure it's a lot of paperwork/pages, but nothing that's not too hard to lay your hands on. Ask as many questions as you can as we'd love to see as many competitors from overseas as possible.
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

John Hadjichristou wrote:Isabel, (and others considering attending) don't let the paperwork overwhelm you too much.
I believe your Sherrif's department would suffice to being a substitute for Police. We Aussie's just don't use the word sherrif down under.
Storage is not a problem. State that you will store at the SISC facilities - which is what you will and can do. Incidentally, my personal advice is that you would not bother to bring any ammunition. Buy it from SISC. In fact, you can pre order what you want now by going to their web site. Even better, it's all in AUD $'s - so the prices should be acceptable. Over the counter ammunition sales will also be available at SISC during the competition.
Spencer has clarified that any paperowrk needed to return to your country would be done once you are here.
The instruction form (for which you provided a link to) for temporary overseas competitor permit is easy to follow. Tick the boxes as you go, make sure you haven't left anything out. A good description of your pistols (5 shot semi automatic, self load handgun, calibre .22, S/N xxxx) is important. Police/firearms branches here tend to call all pistols - handguns. Make sure any part of the form that asks for barrel length is quoted correctly. Aussie departments handling this are usually reknowned for being helpful.
Sure it's a lot of paperwork/pages, but nothing that's not too hard to lay your hands on. Ask as many questions as you can as we'd love to see as many competitors from overseas as possible.
John I am going to be there, I just need to get my passport which should be here in another week so I can fill out the paperwork. The good news is that it looks like my husband is going to be able to fly in from Kuwait and join me so I will now plan on staying an extra week. I can hardly wait. The only thing I am looking forward to as much is Camp Perry again in July. Isabel.
Scott>T

Post by Scott>T »

Can someone please post a link to the competitiors list.

Cheers
Scott
Nev C

Post by Nev C »

Hi Scott, is this what you are after?
http://www.2009worldmasters.com/Shootin ... fault.aspx
Slo cat

Post by Slo cat »

Slo cat

Post by Slo cat »

The USA pistol count is now up to seven, including "Isabel".

I have been looking at the 2002 WMG winning scores. I'm glad that I'm not in the 50-59 age category. An Aussie, David Moore is in this group , is registered for the current WMG and he shot a 582 air pistol score in 2002, 584 in CF, 575 in RF, 576 in Std Pistol, and 557 in Free Pistol. Wow!

Who is the Aussie to beat in the 60-69 age category?

Best Regards,
Slo cat (60-69)
John Hadjichristou

Post by John Hadjichristou »

Who is the Aussie to beat in the 60-69 age category?
There's a heap of them. This age group will likely have the closest scores, so you'll need to shoot your very best Steve.
David Moore?
Common"!! You must know by now?
Three time Olympian, three time Commonwalth Games, a string of Australian records, represented his State at national level something like 19 years running. Shoots every discipline. Rumor says he had to build an extra room at home to house his medals, trophies, plaques and awards. To top it off, acutely astute, highly intelligent and his knowledge and insight into any aspect of shooting and firearm working invaluable. All up, a Great Guy.
Best of all - he contributes on this very forum.(David M)
Slo cat

Post by Slo cat »

Thanks for the update, John.

I must admit I don't usually follow Australian competitors like I do USA competitors.

If David had shot those scores in the USAS Nationals shot just this last week, he would have easily won three of the five men's events, and would be a close contender for first place before finals on the other two. He would be on our Olympic team as well.

Can you refer me to links to match results that show scores of S2 and S3 Aussie seniors?

Best Regards,
Slo cat