Rika Home Trainer - Serial Port version

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
higginsdj

Rika Home Trainer - Serial Port version

Post by higginsdj »

Has anyone tried this system with a Serial to USB adapter to connect to a PC without a Serial Port? If so does it still function OK?

Cheers

David
Rutty

Post by Rutty »

Yes I have done, but it does some a bit picky about adapters.

Rutty
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

as Rutty says, not all USB>Serial adapters are created equal.

The easy way is to beg or borrow an old laptop with a serial port - there are lots of these in the back of cupboards.
The serial port version runs happily on Win 98 and I have a W98 laptop solely for running the Scatt program.

Spencer
Steve Swartz as Guest

Post by Steve Swartz as Guest »

Mine works great with a cheapo (Radio Shack generic) serial-USB port adapter. Took less than 10 minutes to install.

Steve
higginsdj

Post by higginsdj »

Yes - I understand the problem with these adapters - I have them for my Astronomical Observatory/Telescope setup for all the serial interface connections.

Good to know - thanks guys.
Guest Twenty

Post by Guest Twenty »

I could NEVER get my RIKA to work with any adapters. I spent hours and hours and returned the adapters. I have some old PCs with serial ports. I will not get rid of them while I have the RIKA.
paulo

Post by paulo »

Do they provide updates for their drivers?
Steve Swartz as Guest

Post by Steve Swartz as Guest »

Yes, but you need to go through your regional sales firm.

Here in North America Scott (well, Warren Potter working for Scott!) used to provide updated software (including drivers) for free . . .

Steve
Brian James

Post by Brian James »

I have used two different adaptors with good sucess. I'll post tomorrow the brand names, I think one in Dynex.
higginsdj

Post by higginsdj »

OK so does anyone have the RIKA running on a USB/Serial Adapter on Win XP or Vista?

Its looking more and more like paying more for the USB system is the best option. I would presume that Rika doesn't support the old system anymore as well.
bummer7

Post by bummer7 »

[quote="higginsdj"]OK so does anyone have the RIKA running on a USB/Serial Adapter on Win XP or Vista?

Its looking more and more like paying more for the USB system is the best option. I would presume that Rika doesn't support the old system anymore as well.[/quote]

I use a Keyspan USB adapter so I could use the RIKA with a laptop running Windows XP. The laptop doesn't have a serial port but it does have a built-in modem. Had to set the Modem default for Comm3 in the System BIOS in order for the USB adapter to be either comm1 or 2. Other than this, it works fine.

-s
higginsdj

Post by higginsdj »

Ah - OK, thats the same thing I had to do with my observatory Serial Port setups (I have a few USB - Serial Adapters to choose from, Belkin ones turned out to be the most expensive but least reliable). Re-allocating Comm ports isn't too hard and I still have a laptop that still has a Floppy Disk Drive to load the software in (cost me more than the laptop is worth to get a new battery for it)
wkev

Post by wkev »

David,
I've been using a serial Rika since 2003 with XP and Keyspan USB adapter with no problems. Even though I could read what Scott put on his website about it only working with the Keyspan adapters, I tried two other brands first, only to confirm that he was correct! I also was able to run it on an 1st gen iMac with Virtual PC/Win98.

Kevin Walker
higginsdj

Post by higginsdj »

Thanks all. I now have my Rika Home trainer and Keyspan serial adapter - now just need instructions in English to go along with it.......
Jack Milchanowski

Post by Jack Milchanowski »

higginsdj

Post by higginsdj »

Thanks Jack - that helps a great deal.

I now have my Rika home trainer Serial version running successfully on all my laptops and PC's c/- a Keyspan USB-Serial Interface - all works first time and flawlessly.
Guest Twenty

Post by Guest Twenty »

I have a RIKA. Can you tell me what is the latest version of the software?
higginsdj

Post by higginsdj »

V3.9 - downloadable from our host or Rika's web site.
John Marchant

Post by John Marchant »

I have just purchased an ABC Products USB to RS232 interface cable from Amazon.
Installed the provided drivers on to XP Pro machine and the Rika unit is recognised straight away.
I have also updated the software to the latest version 3.90 USB and the system appears to be working fine.
RobinC

Post by RobinC »

Hi John
Sorry to hijack this thread but we are just up the road to you at Norwich City TC, we are looking for a cheap Scatt (unlikely) or Rika for the club for air pistol/rifle, I think there was some one at Bedford who had one for sale but I lost his details, do you know of any?
Best regards
Robin