MG2 Rapid Fire and Hammer not locking up

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
A74BEDLM

MG2 Rapid Fire and Hammer not locking up

Post by A74BEDLM »

I having been using an MG2 for about 6 months now (its my first .22 target pistol). It has always been selective about which ammunition you could use but latley it is malfunctioning at an alarming rate - 4 malfunctions in last weeks Standard Pistol Competition and 2 malfunctions today in a Rapid Fire competition (I am getting malfunctions in my malfunction series).

The malfunction rate has increased considerably since the fitting of the Rapid Fire kit - before this with the right ammunition (Eley Pistol Xtra, Eley Sport, Lapua Pistol King or RWS Target Pistol) it would shoot consistently with often not a single malfunction for weeks and then they were normally fail to eject malfunctions. Since fitting the kit the above mentioned ammunition will not cycle the pistol correctly - hammer staying down.

I tried several brands of ammunition at the last training session including all of the above and RWS Target Pistol and RWS Pistol Match, Eley Tennex Gold, X-Zone Sport, RWS R50 and Eley Match Semi-Auto. In conclusion only RWS R50 and Eley Match Semi-Auto were the only 2 reliable ammunitions. Both of these are 330m/s and 305m/s muzzle velocity ammunitions - the others mostly being under 300m/s dont seem to have the power anymore to cycle the pistol - they used to work ok.

There was another post before regarding hammer lock probelms see below:

the MG2 was a different story, it worked fine for about 10 shots and after that i had to cock the hamer by pulling back te slide each shot.
"but after reading the manual it seams that the "release force travel" was just to fine tuned, i increased the travel and now it shoots like a dream"

So I am not sure wether something has gone out of adjustment - I have not adjusted anything on the pistol for a long time - well before fitting the RF Kit or wether the RF Kit requires a higher muzzle velocity ammunition to cycle it? I desperatly need help/advice as the last 2 weeks of club competitions have made me and my pistol something of a joke! I am contemplating removing the RF kit tonight as I have a Sport Pistol Competition tomorrow and I cannot risk more malfunctions.
Last edited by A74BEDLM on Sun May 31, 2009 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tycho

Post by Tycho »

Which version MG2 do you have? Who mounted the kit? If the hammer is not staying up, that usually has no direct connection to the RF kit. Are you sure that the kit is to be mounted in your series (snr?) MG2? Basically, the RF kit should work with slower velocity ammo, as the slide is lighter; but that kit is not really a drop in part, if the slide does not run smoothly or the springs are too long (V2 recoil springs are longer than those of the V1), or if you put a full kit into a pistol that didn't have a rubber buffer before, the buffer gets squeezed out to the sides and slows down the slide. Do you have a older version MG2, with a sear adjustment screw on top, between the two cover holding screws at the rear? If yes, try adjusting that. If no, the problem must be something to do with slide velocity.
A74BEDLM

Post by A74BEDLM »

My MG version is 11XX so very early but I bought it direct from Matchguns in December 2008 so was a reconditioned? unit.

It has the rubber buffer and no sear adjustment screw.

I mounted the kit.
Last edited by A74BEDLM on Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

Speak with Stefano Calzetti at Matchguns seeing you bought it directly from them. Any other action at this point will be time wasted. He is the most helpful and knowledgable person around to solve your problem.

But if I were to suggest a problem, it would be that you need the newer slide springs that are relevant to the RF kit working properly....and possibly the tiny nylon inserts that push into the spring holes in the frame of the pistol. good luck...the pistol is worth the effort.
A74BEDLM

Post by A74BEDLM »

Sear adjustments made no difference so I reset them back to original positions.

I was about to switch the RF Kit out for the original Standard Pistol fit when I decided to just change the slides. The original Slide worked perfectly (yes I know its heavier then the RF version).

So 100 rounds later with mixed ammo loads in Magazines - different brands and grades and all going through fine. Even the lower power stuff.

Think I need a new RF slide.
Tycho

Post by Tycho »

Nah, I'd take the relevant measurements first and compare them to the original slide. The MG2 has a lot of friction surfaces, and even a slightly thicker slide won't work. All works upgraded RF's I've seen so far show signs of somebody having worked on the slide. I still think that slide velocity is the issue, I can't see how the slide / hammer connection could be of any importance.