What gun boxes do you use

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Muffo

What gun boxes do you use

Post by Muffo »

Im trying to figure out what to buy for a new gun box. Most people here use pelican gun boxes but when I looked them up they seem very heavy which could incure a lot of excess baggage charges. Im currently using a toolbox but I have trouble fitting everything in.
ken4all

Post by ken4all »

For my freepistol, tools, and ammo I got a SW052 from www.berwall.de.
I use an extra sportsbag for my shoes, glasses, tripod, scope etc...
donyost

Post by donyost »

I have been very happy with Ameracase.
http://www.americase.com/
Don Yost
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

I've flown with a Standard Pistol, Center Fire Pistol, Free Pistol and two Air Pistols and have never incurred any over weight luggage charges (at least on the case with the guns). The ammo and other stuff goes in a small locked case in my second checked bag (this one I did get dinged for extra weight).
Muffo

Post by Muffo »

We have a 17-23 kilo weight limit and the gun box i was looking at nearly weighs that. I carry the ammo in the same box as the gus but there is a limit of 5 kilos of ammo. The other thing I want to avoid is anything that looks to flashy as Its more likely to get stolen
dazza

Post by dazza »

I purchased a Pelican case to transport my Centre Fire & Standard Pistol overseas last year. Yes it is a little on the heavy side, but I never incurred excess baggage fees.

My purpose in buying the case was to protect 2 expensive pistols, I think you need to consider which is the cheaper; having damaged pistols repaired or even replaced, or paying an excess baggage fee. I know travel insurance can possibly cover the situation but not the inconvenience.

As far as I'm concerned the Pelican case is one of the best decisions I've made.
muffo as guest

Post by muffo as guest »

What model did you get and what does it weigh empty. My problem is if it weighs around 17 kilos and I have a 17 kilo limit and i put 10 kilos of guns ammo and tools in plus cloths im going to be up for 2 or 300 on top of flights when I go somewhere. My current box is only about 2 kilos and it weighed 17kilos when i went to nationalls.
j-team

Post by j-team »

muffo as guest wrote:What model did you get and what does it weigh empty. My problem is if it weighs around 17 kilos and I have a 17 kilo limit and i put 10 kilos of guns ammo and tools in plus cloths im going to be up for 2 or 300 on top of flights when I go somewhere. My current box is only about 2 kilos and it weighed 17kilos when i went to nationalls.
What on earth are you carrying around with you to have a 17kg gunbox?

I used to fly to competitions and shoot all 5 matches (back when you needed a different pistol for RF) and my box (a Pelican 1520) would still only weigh about 10kgs!
dazza

Post by dazza »

muffo as guest wrote:What model did you get and what does it weigh empty. My problem is if it weighs around 17 kilos and I have a 17 kilo limit and i put 10 kilos of guns ammo and tools in plus cloths im going to be up for 2 or 300 on top of flights when I go somewhere. My current box is only about 2 kilos and it weighed 17kilos when i went to nationalls.
I purchased a Pelican 1510, weighs 6.17Kg empty. It is plenty big enough for my needs; I carry 2 pistols (In pistol pouches), combined weight 2.2kg, screwdrivers, timer, glasses, earmuffs. All up I doubt whether it would reach 10kg. Ammunition must be carried seperately in your luggage when flying: on the trip I did the ammunition - 100 .32 S&W long wadcutter and 200 .22 Long Rifle weighed approx. 2kg.
muffo as guest

Post by muffo as guest »

j-team wrote:
What on earth are you carrying around with you to have a 17kg gunbox?

I used to fly to competitions and shoot all 5 matches (back when you needed a different pistol for RF) and my box (a Pelican 1520) would still only weigh about 10kgs!
2 free pistols, an Air pistol, screw drivers allen keys, another tool set with different bits and peices, toz parts, morini parts, chisels, glasses, timer, score book, pellets, ammo, scope, earmuffs, spare cylindars, and ammo. Thats about all i can think of. I didnt take anything i didnt use but it all takes up space and adds weight. On our exemption to fly with firearms it state we can carry amunition in the same box as our guns but it must be packaged seperately and in original boxes.