Olympic Results, weapons used?

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

keithwwalker

Olympic Results, weapons used?

Post by keithwwalker »

Is there a listing of the olympic results and the weapons used for each medal? Rifle, pistol, air, I wanna know them all!
1813benny

Post by 1813benny »

No weapons were used, but there were pleanty of rifles, pistols and shotguns.
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

Freepistol

Post by Freepistol »

1813benny wrote:No weapons were used, but there were pleanty of rifles, pistols and shotguns.
I hate that "weapon" term, too!
Ben
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

Freepistol wrote:
1813benny wrote:No weapons were used, but there were pleanty of rifles, pistols and shotguns.
I hate that "weapon" term, too!
Ben
They are all weapons whether or not you like the name. My airgun club specifically calls itself an airweapons club, because we don't shy away from the term. We prefer to educate people on how to use them safely for target shooting purposes.

Rob.
will4h

Political?

Post by will4h »

Yes we are living in a political world! I agree the term weapon must be used correctly and carefully. I have lots of different guns, but only a few weapons and those are only the guns in which I term self defense guns, the rest, well the ducks I kill would call them weapons but other than that it is a shotgun. I have trap guns, sporting clay guns, target guns and so forth.

LEST WE NOT FORGET WE ARE A MINORITY IN THE USA. Sorry but statisticaly it is true and people conjur up image's that weapons are for killing, while true any item capable of taking a life is classed as a weapon, we will never convice the masses that a weapon is safe to own, but a firearm or gun or pistol or any of a number or other names are safe to own and use and in this day and time we cant afford to alienate anyone to that thought. Political yes but they play games with words and so must we.
keithwwalker

Post by keithwwalker »

As far as I can tell, it doesn't list what kind of pistols or rifles they used....
so back to the original question, does anyone have a link to the equipment used by contestants?

Please don't turn this into a semantic swordfight....
Fred Mannis

Re: Olympic Results, weapons used?

Post by Fred Mannis »

keithwwalker wrote:Is there a listing of the olympic results and the weapons used for each medal? Rifle, pistol, air, I wanna know them all!
This question has been asked before, and the answer has always been that there is no such listing. The IOC would consider this information as advertising and therefore does not collect it. Some of the manufacturers, e.g. Steyr, list Olympic medalists who have used their product, but this is obviously far from complete.
peepsight

Post by peepsight »

They are all weapons in general terms, but i have to agree that the 'IMAGE' needs careful handling in these modern anti gun times.

When we have new members turn up we introduce them to Olympic air rifle and pistol, and we don't call them weapons, even if they are.
We found this had a huge positive effect when our local councillors visited the club.
A change of name can work in softening the perceived image and the Olympics is a good topical medium to class these air guns as tools of sport and nothing more.

Peeps
jhmartin

Re: IMAGE

Post by jhmartin »

Unfortunately, IMAGE is important in our world ... especially in our sport.
That's why my club refers to them as Air Rifles, Air Pistols and in terms of stick flinging, a generic term, Archery.

Javalin, Discus, Shot Put , Hammer Throw, Rifle & Pistol all originate in the "Arts of War", but in our cases are used to demonstrate precision skill not meant to threaten, attack anyone, or defend oneself. As a general recollection, only fencing (as an Olympic sport) still uses the term "weapon".

Rocks, screwdrivers, hammers, automobiles, stapleguns, rope, pencils, scissors, bats, rocks, even broken panes of glass, (to name a few objects) have all been used at one time or another as "weapons". I believe in only calling them by that term if they are used as such.

Words are important, and the way they are used even more so.
Again, especially in our "sport".
peepsight

Post by peepsight »

This is from memory. Air rifles only

Matt Emmons - FWB now Anschutz 9003
Katy Emmons - Anschutz 2002
Sonja Pfeilschifter - FWB P-70 alu
Christain Planer - Walther LG-300XT carbon tech
Thomas Farnik - Steyr LG-110
Ljubov Galkina - Walther LG-300XT laminate
Abinav Bindra - Walther LG-300XT protouch

Thats my memory gone, so any one else that can add to this list?

Peeps
keithwwalker

Post by keithwwalker »

I got two Walthers newsletters when I got the latest MEC Centra catalog, in German only:

Female Athletes:
Gold, Katerina Emmons, Czech Rep., Anschutz?, 10m Air Rifle
Silver, Katerina Emmons, Czech Rep., Anschutz?, 50m Rifle 3 position
Silver, Lioubov Galkina Russia, Walther LG300XT, 10m Air Rifle
Silver, Gundegmaa Otryad, Mongolia, Walther SSP, 25m Pistol
Bronze, Munkhbayar Dorjsuren, Germany (ex-Mongolia), Walther SSP, 25m Pistol

Male Athletes:
Gold, Artur Aivazian, Ukraine, Walther KK300 Alutec, 50m Prone Rifle
Bronze, Vladimir Isakov, Russia, Walther LP300XT, 50m Pistol

Anschutz pag:
http://jga.anschuetz-sport.com/index.ph ... ventID=702
jipe

Re: Olympic Results, weapons used?

Post by jipe »

Fred Mannis wrote:
keithwwalker wrote:Is there a listing of the olympic results and the weapons used for each medal? Rifle, pistol, air, I wanna know them all!
This question has been asked before, and the answer has always been that there is no such listing. The IOC would consider this information as advertising and therefore does not collect it. Some of the manufacturers, e.g. Steyr, list Olympic medalists who have used their product, but this is obviously far from complete.
Same for Morini (http://www.morini.ch or http://www.interprodukter.se/pdf/olympi ... ng2008.pdf. Pardini has also results on their website.

For AP, its quite simple: Steyr and Morini must represent 90% of the medals, if not more (100% for the last OG in Beijing: 5 for Steyr, 1 for Morini).

For FP, you have Morini and TOZ and that's about it !

This doesn't mean that the other pistols are not good.
keithwwalker

Post by keithwwalker »

David Levene

Post by David Levene »

keithwwalker wrote:More Olympic results at the free ISSF online magazine:
In case anyone's really interested, I also have copies of the "pre-disqualification" AP60 and FP results (along with all of the others).
Hemmers

Post by Hemmers »

Like jmartin has said, firearms, by dint of being firearms are no more weapons than cricket bats. Combat firearms are designed to kill, and could accurately be described as weapons, since that is their design purpose and their final function.

But when the good men at Anschutz sat down and designed the Anschutz 1913 I shoot, "stopping power", portability, and other elements crucial to an effective combat weapon did not feature on their list of design criteria. It is not designed to be used as a weapon, and mine will certainly never be used in that capacity. As a result, it will never be a weapon, merely a piece of sports equipment, no more dangerous than a car if handled responsibly.

"Weapon" is an entirely abstract term. Nothing is a weapon until it is used as such. Yes, firearms can be used as weapons, but we're only making life harder for ourselves by portraying sports equipment as weapons - which they clearly are not.

When did you last say "look at that bit of willow - a lovely weapon" in relation to a cricket bat? Yet it makes a very effective one.

Show me an American bricklayer with a concealed carry weapon. If you say to me "look at that weapon", I'll say "what, the brick, the pointy trowel, the gun, or the arms like tree-trunks?".

OK, so we have to give a bit more instruction in safety than "don't hit each other over the head with the bats, and don't go batting in the nets without safety pads/helmets on". The principle however is absolutely identical. Having more emphasis on safety does not make the equipment weapons.

Fencers I know do not refer to their foils or epees as "weapons", even though their sport - like ours - is derived from combat training.
[/Semantics]
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

The distinction that you all like to draw in your mind about weapons vs firearms is really meaningless. The anti-gun people could care less what you call them, call them Flowers and they would still be against them. This idea that if we call something a more friendlier a term that they will leave us alone is misguided at best.

As for the truth about a weapon, what makes a device a weapons is in the mind of the user, any firearm be it a hunting rifle, assault rifle, target handgun can be a weapon as can a hammer, baseball bat, screw driver, steak knife or ballpoint pen.

Hemmers, basically all target sports grew out of the military most of the origin al competitors were military. Just as fencing or pentathalon is also descendant from the military. These sports grew out of training on how to kill with weapons, until relatively recently targets were still human shaped (but these were removed to appease too).

So if you think calling them something other than weapons will somehow make this marginal sport more acceptable then all the power to you, but I really don't think anyone needs to be dictated to on to what to call these devices.

Here's a new term for them "happy bang sticks" you can have "long happy bang sticks", "short happy bang sticks", "Semi-automatic repeating happy bang sticks", ect. That should make all our problems go away and we will be embraced by the unwashed masses.
peepsight

Post by peepsight »

Richard H

Its the perceived image that is the problem amongst non shooters and the anti shooting lobbies fuelled by an anti shooting media.
We as a shooters and our bodies that run shooting must be aware that the image is all important to us. I agree that not calling a sporting gun a weapon will make little difference to how these people see us, but it is one small step in the right direction.
Image is a strong marketing medium and it should be used by our organisations to remove the stigma associated with our sport.
Its interesting to note that FWB, Walther, Anschutz and all the others refer to their products as sporting arms and that is because they are arms built for sport and nothing more.

Peeps
j-team

Post by j-team »

keithwwalker wrote: Male Athletes:
Gold, Artur Aivazian, Ukraine, Walther KK300 Alutec, 50m Prone Rifle
Bronze, Vladimir Isakov, Russia, Walther LP300XT, 50m Pistol
Isakov did well winning the bronze medal in free pistol with his air pistol. When I last shot my air pistol at 50m it took me about 30 shots just to get one ten!