AW93 cycling problem

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
ScottyT

AW93 cycling problem

Post by ScottyT »

Hi,

I have a problem with my AW93. I am using CCI ammunition but am experiencing cycling problem every 200-300 rounds.

The breach does not fully close, and results in a clicker.

Is this a normal event for this many rounds between cleaning?

Do you oil the slide mechanism or leave it dry?

Cheers
Scott
David M

Tight

Post by David M »

The AW93 has a tight chamber, also American ammo is larger in dia than European (different SAMI spec).
Either use European ammo or have the chamber reamed with a match US reamer (eased and polished).
I have now done 9 pistols in Aust on they all work well now with any ammo.
SteveT

Post by SteveT »

Do you clean the chamber regularly? Before reaming the chamber I would try cleaning it really well.

Using Euro ammo is an option. I am pretty sure that Aguilla and the Eley type made by Aguilla in Mexico is smaller than most American made 22. Both are inexpensive.

To clean the chamber:

Bend a rifle 22 brush (25 cal might be even better but 22 works) so that it only goes into the chamber as far as a 22LR case. Dip the brush in cleaning solution, insert in chamber and rotate it back a forth. Repeat a couple of times. Push or pull a dry patch, then a wet patch then a couple of dry patches down the barrel to remove any crud.

Best of luck,
Steve Turner
jipe

Re: Tight

Post by jipe »

David M wrote:The AW93 has a tight chamber, also American ammo is larger in dia than European (different SAMI spec).
Either use European ammo or have the chamber reamed with a match US reamer (eased and polished).
I have now done 9 pistols in Aust on they all work well now with any ammo.
I confirm what David says: CCI standard are slightly larger than european ammunitions like RWS, SK...

They are also tight in both my Hammerli 160 and Morini CM22M RF.

They do not cause cycling problem with the Morini but must be pushed hard to enter the chamber and do not eject well from the Hammerli.

Post by Guest »

Its a shame I didnt have a chance to have a chat at Cessnock on the weekend David.

I will try to catch up during the Nationals and see if you might be able to help.

Cheers Scott
Quest1

Ammo

Post by Quest1 »

SteveT wrote:Do you clean the chamber regularly? Before reaming the chamber I would try cleaning it really well.

Using Euro ammo is an option. I am pretty sure that Aguilla and the Eley type made by Aguilla in Mexico is smaller than most American made 22. Both are inexpensive.
Although Aguila and the Eley made in Mexico was good for practice ammo. I didn't like using it in competition. The lube they used on their bullets would shortly build-up to a point in the chamber that I would have to physically force a bullet into the chamber in my free pistol and the same problem would occur after a couple of magazines in my standard pistol. I wasn't the only person in our club that was having this problem. I brought this problem up with the Aguila people several years ago at the Shot Show and they haven't done a thing to change the lube.
SteveT

Re: Ammo

Post by SteveT »

Quest1 wrote: Although Aguila and the Eley made in Mexico was good for practice ammo. I didn't like using it in competition. The lube they used on their bullets would shortly build-up to a point in the chamber that I would have to physically force a bullet into the chamber in my free pistol and the same problem would occur after a couple of magazines in my standard pistol. I wasn't the only person in our club that was having this problem. I brought this problem up with the Aguila people several years ago at the Shot Show and they haven't done a thing to change the lube.
Interesting. I've shot 3-4 cases of Aguilla, bought at three different times in my Hammerli, FWB and Marvel and never experienced that problem. I've never experienced any problems with it, though some others in my club have had cycling issues and misfires. Maybe I just got lucky. I clean the chamber of my 22's usually between 500 and 1000 rds

The only time I've had a problem with chamber lube build up was with the hard wax lube on CCI SV. When shooting CCI, I have to clean the chamber and the front edge of the magaziens more frequently.

Best regards,
Steve Turner[/quote]

Post by Guest »

When I had my Pardini SP New I used two brands of ammo, Aguila and S&B.

I disassembled and cleaned up my gun every 700 rounds with the Aguila ammo while I cleaned it up every 1,000 rounds when shooting S&B. I've never experienced a single missfire in several thousand rounds. I had shot about a single box (50 rounds) of CCI ammo not a missfire either.

What I've experienced with other types of guns are "match chambers" where it must have been "loose military chambers". I figure it may have something to do with the economy and saving up on chamber reamers at the factory.
higginsdj

Post by higginsdj »

One of my Instructors has an AW93 and it does not cycle correctly on the 4th shot in a series - every series, always the 4th shot. He uses Eley ammunition.

Cheers

David
Walter

Post by Walter »

CCI SV has been very waxy lately. Some batches are fine, but some are so waxy that the cartridges get stuck in the packaging.

1. Clean the back of the gun behind the hammer. The area where the back of the slide rides.

2. Make sure the ejector is flat against the outside of the frame. It may have moved in towards the magazine.

3. Keep the slide wet with light weight oil. Don't put too much oil on the recoil spring.

4. Brush out the chamber.

5. If you have recently replaced the grip screws, they might be too long and would be binding with the hammer spring. If your trigger is inconsistent this could be the cause.

200-300 rounds without oiling in between will have a very dry slide on the AW.

I wouldn't ream the chamber.

I use CCI SV and have no problems at all.
ScottyT

Post by ScottyT »

I had a good close look at the back end of the chamber and there was significant grey waxxy buildup.

In hindsight though, we put 150 rounds through the gun on Wednesday, and only had troublke with the last 50.

On Thursday I put another 100 through with no malfunction.

Maybe I had a crappy box of 50?

Maybe I got lucky?

Either way I ran the cleaning bruch through the last 3 centimetres of the chamber on a cleaning rod with a drill attached. Nothing spinning too fast or too long, just a cleanup.

Now it is as clean as a whistle and I will give it another workout tomorrow.
ScottyT

Post by ScottyT »

Even after a very thorough clean, the AW93 did not like CCI SV.

I have changed to pistol match and have not had another problem.

The annoying part is the cost is double.

But no malfunctions
Nev C

No more CCI

Post by Nev C »

At a recent FP match I started off using CCI in my CM84E and had to change ammo after a few rounds, the CCI would not chamber without excessive force and then would not eject. I switched to Fiochi and it fed and ejected smoothly. No more CCI for me I'm afraid.
ScottyT

Post by ScottyT »

CCI is not an option me either anymore as there is too much risk of dropping points with multiple malfunctions.

It is always in the back of your mind if the gun will operate or not.

It just means a lot more dry firing in practice than live firing to try to keep the costs down a little.
mstuhr

Re: Ammo

Post by mstuhr »

[/quote]

The lube they used on their bullets would shortly build-up to a point in the chamber that I would have to physically force a bullet into the chamber in my free pistol and the same problem would occur after a couple of magazines in my standard pistol. [/quote]

Amen to that.
I am having the same problem. I can clean the gun and chamber check a box and it will build up to the point rounds wont chamber at about the 25-30 round mark.
I did have a 5,000 round case prior to this case that ran trouble free.
It was the reason I bought this one but this one is somehow different.
Thanks
Mike
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

Either way I ran the cleaning bruch through the last 3 centimetres of the chamber on a cleaning rod with a drill attached. Nothing spinning too fast or too long, just a cleanup.
I would not use a cleaning brush attached to a drill at any speed in a precision barrel...especially to the depth of three centimetres.

For what it is worth, David M's approach is the only correct engineering solution for this problem. Of the three I have owned over the years, all had tight chambers, even with a little variation from one gun to the next. Reaming and polishing of the chamber to a unifirm diameter proved to be the answer.
paulo

Post by paulo »

CCI SV hard wax creates some jams on my AW93, I found that keeping ammo in a warmer room has helped some by keeping the wax not as hard.
My IZH takes CCI SV in any condition without any issues, so reaming and polishing could be the solution, just hard to know a competent person to do that around my neck of the hoods (PA -USA)
jbshooter

waxy vs oily coating on .22 ammo

Post by jbshooter »

I only use the waxier coated ammo for smallbore rifle shooting or 50m free pistol ie single shot use. I only use ammo coated with thinner oils through my autos. Some of them need wiping off before a match to get rid of excessive oil.