Morini CM22 RF failure to eject-Updated with photos

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
white rabbit

Morini CM22 RF failure to eject-Updated with photos

Post by white rabbit »

I recently purchased the new Morini Rapid Fire pistol and find it a dream to shoot - I use it in Sport Pistol and Standard match.

But I have been having a problem with approx one round in every 50 not ejecting properly and getting jammed across the chamber (horizontal stovepipe).

Strangely, this is nearly always the 4th round in a 5 shot series and happens with both magazines.

I am using SKS Magazine .22 currently but have tried some old Lapua Pistol King (failures to eject happen 3x as often with this) and Winchester T22 (failures approx same as SKS).

It also seems to occur more often during the dueling portion of the sport pistol match and very rarely during precision firing.

Any thoughts on this would be much appreciated.

WR
Last edited by white rabbit on Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
JamesH

Eject

Post by JamesH »

Um
Wrong velocity ammo
Rough chamber - different hardness cases behave differently, might go away as it wears in
Extractor not right - malformed, weak spring
Mainspring not right

Duelling - Welcome to the part of Murphy's law wrt shooting.
jipe

Post by jipe »

You can adjust the main spring tension with screw 022017:

This might solve your problems.

I have tried several type of ammunition, including SK standard + and SK pistol match, without having any problems. For training, I mainly suse CC standard.

Your problem may be due to a different factory setting of the main spring.
white rabbit

Post by white rabbit »

Thanks for the feedback.

Extractor - has a lot of wear for a near new pistol. After 2000 rounds it has worn down considerably. I am waiting on a spare from Morini in case this is the cause of the problem. Also, this weekend I will catch up with someone who has been talking to Morini about this on my behalf.

Ammuniton - I will keep trying some other brands.

Main spring tension - will re-investigate this more thoroughly. I like to shoot with 2 barrel weights on the forward positions and had left these on when I last played with the tension - because I like to shoot with them, I figured that I might as well test with them on. But will try a few different things out.

Rough barrel - I like the way this suggests things might just improve of their own accord! But you have a very good point. The gun is still very new.

What really puzzles me is the regularity with which it is the 4th shot in the magazine that messes up. This is the 2nd round placed in the magazine - I'll double check how this is being loaded.

Thanks
WR
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

white rabbit wrote:What really puzzles me is the regularity with which it is the 4th shot in the magazine that messes up.
Is it with all magazines or only one.
jipe

Post by jipe »

white rabbit wrote:Main spring tension - will re-investigate this more thoroughly. I like to shoot with 2 barrel weights on the forward positions and had left these on when I last played with the tension - because I like to shoot with them, I figured that I might as well test with them on. But will try a few different things out.
I also use two weights on the forward position.

Weights have no influence on the movement of the breech and extraction.

Did you modify the tension of the main spring (022016) since you bought your pistol ?

I haven't modified mine and had no need to modify it since it works flawlessly with all ammunitions I have tested/used: RWS pistol match, SK standard +, SK pistol match, CCI standard, Magtech.

I use mainly CCI standard for training and SK pistol match for competitions.
Renback

Post by Renback »

I know the answer to this one:
I called www.interprodukter.se regarding exactly this problem. ( 1 case in 50 failed to eject) And this is what I was told:
There is a known issue with the hardening of the extractor. (to soft)
This should be replaced for free. I changed mine yesterday and the old one had noticeable wear. (The edge gripping the shell was blunt and rounded)
Partnr 022024
I started to have ejectionproblems after about 2000 rounds.

Quite easy to replace it.
Today about 500 rounds without ejectionproblems.

However. You need good tools to remove the pin holding the extractor. It´s quite solid... Cheep tool will bend.
white rabbit

Post by white rabbit »

Please see attached images showing case bulging and FTEs.

Does this ring any bells for anyone?

Note the bulged case in the second FTE.
Ernie Rodriguez

Bulged Cases

Post by Ernie Rodriguez »

Rabbit-Have seen this symptom in early model MG-2. This happens,possibly,because that portion of shell is unsupported,brass of this manufacture is slightly thinner in this area,chamber might have a rough spot/dirty-to name a few.The simplest solution is to find a brand that works to your satisfaction-then look into a possible intermittent problem with the pistol.Did you replace worn extractor???
Gort

Post by Gort »

White rabbit, The bulged cases are normal in my cm22rf. It is from the feed transition in the top of the barrel hood, as per Morinin design. I think the right track for your failure to eject is the extractor or the mainspring tension screw.
Gort
Renback

Post by Renback »

White Rabbit, is it possible for you to post a photo of the extractor?
My cases lack that "bulging".... might be a rough edge in your barrel, perhaps in combination with a worn extractor??
Considering the shells actually doesn´t eject it´s quite possible it is the extractor that is not functioning..
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

One thing to keep in mind when dealing with extractor problems is that it typically does NOT pull the cartridge out of the chamber. As long as your chamber is smooth & relatively clean, the case pushes the slide open from pressure in the barrel, and the extractor only goes along for the ride. AFTER the case leaves the chamber, the extractor has to hang on to it long enough to bounce it off the ejector properly. One test I was taught is to take the bolt/slide out, and verify that the extractor has enough spring tension & "bite" to hold a loaded round in the recess in the bolt face with it held horizontally. If the round falls out, your extractor needs work.

If the hook on your extractor is worn or dull, or the spring is broken or week, it will let go of the case prematurely. Jams like you are describing will be the likely result.
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

One test I was taught is to take the bolt/slide out, and verify that the extractor has enough spring tension & "bite" to hold a loaded round in the recess in the bolt face with it held horizontally. If the round falls out, your extractor needs work.

Early MG2's had this problem, but a newly designed slide and extractor, plus spring have totally eliminated this from happening. G Whites advice is sound.
Polymer Proselyte

Post by Polymer Proselyte »

Just an update.

This is my wife's gun.

Of 6 CM22RFs imported into NZ, 3 had this issue. It seems to have been solved in the meantime by squaring up the extractor claw. New extractors are on order.

-PP
jipe

Post by jipe »

Polymer Proselyte wrote:Just an update.

This is my wife's gun.

Of 6 CM22RFs imported into NZ, 3 had this issue. It seems to have been solved in the meantime by squaring up the extractor claw. New extractors are on order.

-PP

Morini told me that the pistols who had the bad hardened extractors were only sold in Sweden

But it seems now that the "swedish CM22M RF" problem is not limited to pistols imported in Sweden but at least also for (some) pistols imported in NZ.

You say that there are 6 CM22M RF in NZ, 3 have problems, the 3 others not (I assume). Have these 6 pistols serial numbers close to each other ? Or do the 3 problematic pistols have close to each other serial numbers while the 3 others are from another production batch ?

Can you tel in what range of serial numbers the pistols that have the problem are ?
Reinhamre

Post by Reinhamre »

00199-A had problem with extractor, now solved.

Kent
Chris

Post by Chris »

had a similar problem on my Pardini SP....replaced the extractor AND the spring for the extractor. The spring being worn will not make the extractor work properly.

Not sure if the CM22 has a spring under the extractor
Reinhamre

Post by Reinhamre »

Chris wrote:Not sure if the CM22 has a spring under the extractor
There is a spring under the extractor.
Changed the extractor 3 times while waiting for the proerly hardend extractor.
(Retailer gave me 3 soft ones to use while waiting)
Soft extractor will start to give problems after 2000 rounds.
(2 weeks shooting at that time :-) )

Kent