What type of wood is Morini grip?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Negrin

What type of wood is Morini grip?

Post by Negrin »

I recently bought a new Steyr LP10. The Morini grip color is surprisingly light. I was expecting a much darker color.

Does anyone know what type of wood this very light color wood might be?

Would this light color turn into darker color over time?

If I want to finish this grip, and preserve this light color, how do I do it?

Or don't bother "finishing" the grip?
dlb

Post by dlb »

They're Walnut, but I'm not sure of which species of Walnut.
j-team

Post by j-team »

Walnut, like all timber, has light bits and dark bits.

As it becomes more expensive and difficult to obtain, the light bits that used to be rejected, now get used.
toznerd

Post by toznerd »

I would definatley finish a grip. They tend to degrade as sweat soaks in. Depending on our body chemistry, they can actually start to soften and loose their texture. A light oil finish works fine; Danish oil or Tung oil are good choices.

toznerd
Shooting Kiwi

Post by Shooting Kiwi »

If you want to darken timber, the classical method is ammonia fuming. The timber is placed in a reasonably air-tight container (an improvised polythene 'tent' often used for furniture), in which there is a dish containing a small quantity of stong ammonia solution. The timber darkens progressively, so the process can be halted at your chosen colour.

I have some Morini grips which have been stippled and then varnished - apparently by the factory. Can't see the point. An oiled finish is so much better with sweaty hands. Don't use boiled linseed oil (should you be tempted), it's likely to remain sticky for ages!
ken4all

Post by ken4all »

this is the oil used on Rnk grips I think. It's available in different shades.
http://www.schaftol.de/English/english.html
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Shooting Kiwi wrote:I have some Morini grips which have been stippled and then varnished - apparently by the factory. Can't see the point. An oiled finish is so much better with sweaty hands.
Like you, I am no fan of stippled grips, but possibly for a different reason.

A trick I picked up from the top Russian shooters in the mid '80s is to lick the palm of your hand before taking your grip. If the grip is a really good fit then, rather than causing your hand to slip, it seems to create a suction effect.

Having started to do this for Centre-Fire and Standard Pistol I saw no reason to stop doing it for Air.
j-team

Post by j-team »

David Levene wrote:A trick I picked up from the top Russian shooters in the mid '80s is to lick the palm of your hand before taking your grip.
I wouldn't recommend that after handling lead ammunition and a pistol that would have lead all over it. If you don't believe me, wash you hands (in a white basin) after shooting, particuarly Centre Fire, and watch what colour the water turns.
Shooting Kiwi

Post by Shooting Kiwi »

As kid, I remember my father spitting on his hands before using an axe. Since he was a good teacher, I do too. I thought everyone did! No need to lick!

It's not the stippling I dislike, but the varnish.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

j-team wrote:
David Levene wrote:A trick I picked up from the top Russian shooters in the mid '80s is to lick the palm of your hand before taking your grip.
I wouldn't recommend that after handling lead ammunition and a pistol that would have lead all over it. If you don't believe me, wash you hands (in a white basin) after shooting, particuarly Centre Fire, and watch what colour the water turns.
Since starting shooting in 1980 I have had my lead levels checked several times, at least 10. There has never been anything that worried the doctors.
Muffo

Post by Muffo »

im not a fan of the stipled finish but my hands sweat imensley and im thinking of trying it with my new grip
Isabel (as guest)

Post by Isabel (as guest) »

"I wouldn't recommend that after handling lead ammunition and a pistol that would have lead all over it. If you don't believe me, wash you hands (in a white basin) after shooting, particuarly Centre Fire, and watch what colour the water turns"

What you are seeing is not lead. It is gunpowder residue sometimes combined with the oil or other lubricants in your gun. Yes you can pick up some lead at the range but you will get most of it by breathing it in and it is not particularly toxic in adults. Isabel
Chris

Post by Chris »

For the Toz I ended up with my hand touching 90% Quikwood after I was done with the grip. So I did not see the need to try and re-finish it. Function and fit are more important than looks. One day I will have it duplicated so it looks good.

On the LP10 after doing all of the work I took a clear 2 part epoxy and spread it over the grip where the stipled area was and then spread some sand over the area and then painted it all black. My hand does not slip around. Works great.