Shooting IZH 46M Match & looking to upgrade to?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Shooting IZH 46M Match & looking to upgrade to?

Post by Guest »

Greetings Everyone, I am kind of in a bind, right now i am shooting a IZH 46M Match. The only thing holding me back (generaly speaking) is my equiptment. I average about 87 per target;340ish of 400. This is my last year to shoot at the National Jr. Olympic Championships, and i want this year to count. Im looking into getting a Feinwerkbau P44. Does anyone have and suggestions/likes/dislikes of this pistol? Or any other suggestions i should keep in mind?
jak11

Post by jak11 »

opps, forgot to sign in when i posted that...
Anyways, Im the writer of the Thread post.
jipe

Post by jipe »

Consider to buy it without grip and buy a grip from Rink or Morini.
n4jee

Equipment

Post by n4jee »

If you said you were shooting say 385 I might agree with you that the more adjustable high end guns would be a plus. Not having to charge the gun for each shot is sure a nice convenience. The Izzy, however, is going to produce just as good a group as the high end guns.

When I think I want something better, I remember:
"Even the least expensive Avanti model, the 717 pistol, has been used by (the late) world championship 10 m Air Pistol shooter Don Nygord to shoot a medal winning round in a California state championship."

I have owned a lot of 10M pistols, and they all shoot better than me. Even my Daisy 747. I do have a nice CA gun, and I do enjoy shooting it more than the 747, but my scores are not that much different.

Buy a new gun if you want one, but for that reason. Don't loose confidence in the equipment you own.

Gene
jak11

Post by jak11 »

The convenience is the major thing i guess. Im not losing confidince in my equipment, i just want to be able to be at the top of my game.
Left_of_Center

Which to buy

Post by Left_of_Center »

I bought the P44 for the convenience and consistency of compressed air, how well it shoots, and I got a good deal on it. The grips are okay, but I'll probably go to a custom grip next year.

I love all the adjustments you can make to the gun, and one day I will actually use them. I also like the dry-fire setting, and the two-stage trigger is very nice although vertical adjustment to the blade is somewhat lacking. One downside is that the pistol doesn't come with weights, not that you'll need them. You'll be quite happy with the P44 (as I am) but don't exclude a Steyr LP -- you may find that it fits you better.

If you have the opportunity to hold and shoot someone's P44, LP 10, etc., you should do it.
Oz

Post by Oz »

I get heat for telling new shooters to stick with the Izzy and shoot it until they reach a certain score. Not that it's the score that matters, but just the experience that usually comes with that score.

From what you've said, you've done what I believe is the right process. And by now you've started to go to some matches and you are getting to know some of the other shooters.

You should be able to test hold and hopefully shoot many of the pistols at the matches. This allows you to make an informed decision on which pistol is best for _you_.

Many comments from others mirror this very thought. Don't make a decision until you've held a few on your own. Until then, you can continue improving with the Izzy. It sounds to me like you're going down a great path to your upgrade! Any of the world class pistols should win the Gold Medal. Put forth the effort and you will make the right decision.

Oz
spacestout

dry fire

Post by spacestout »

My only issue with the Izzy is the dry fire mechanism. It doesn't give the same feel dry firing as it does charged. And we all know how important it is to dry fire daily.
Seamaster

Post by Seamaster »

I recently bought a Steyr LP10 from Germany. I had shot IZH 46M for the past year.

Do you need a better pistol?

I think you need both to appreciate both.

Steyr LP10 is a fairly easy pistol to shoot. After shooting IZH 46M, LP10 is a very easy pistol. Shot after shot stayed in same area. No stray shot at all.

I now mainly train with IZH 46M. I strains to get the same score with IZH 46M as with LP10.

But I know once my beasty IZH 46M score catches up, the LP10 would be a sweet beauty to shoot.
Russ

@

Post by Russ »

@
Last edited by Russ on Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Seamaster

Post by Seamaster »

Russ,

Not a post related question.

What is the meaning of those Japanese insignia you have?

Looks like you got "it" looking at emptiness.

Understanding that "it" is certainly what shooting is all about.

When did you get "it"?
Russ

Post by Russ »

@
Last edited by Russ on Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Russ

@

Post by Russ »

@
Last edited by Russ on Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
guesting

Post by guesting »

. . . apparently it translates into ""for $35 I will answer your simple question" . . .

The link to *his* CraigsList advertisement warns "I will not accept any commercial contacts for goods or services!"
Russ

Post by Russ »

@
Last edited by Russ on Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Russ

@

Post by Russ »

@
Last edited by Russ on Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Russ

@

Post by Russ »

@
Last edited by Russ on Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Swartz

Post by Steve Swartz »

Russ:

I think Seamaster's question was:

"What is the meaning of those Japanese insignia you have?"

Steve Swartz

[p.s. continued best wishes with the coaching thing- hope the real estate troubles haven't hit your primary occupation too hard.]
Russ

@

Post by Russ »

@
Last edited by Russ on Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Swartz

Post by Steve Swartz »

Seamaster: three people gave me independent translations (first two native-born Japanese; last one Korean):

1. Wife of faculty member: "Understanding. Sometimes, depending on context, mixed with the concept of 'appreciation'."

2. Doctoral student: "Getting it; understanding something. Or accepting something. Basically no longer struggling against something mentally."

3. Graduate Student: "Understanding; as in 'I Get It.' Sometimes given more meaning depending on context."

There you go.

Definitely applies to the whole notion of the "area aim" principle (and all that it implies). Shooters either get it- or they don't.