finding natural point of aim, with or without the pistol

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Negrin

finding natural point of aim, with or without the pistol

Post by Negrin »

I am having a hard time finding my natural point of aim with my 1.3 kg front heavy IZH-46M.

I close my eyes for 10 seconds (not 2 or 3 seconds), then open my eyes, my natural point of aim usually varies by a small distance.

But when I don't use the pistol, just trying to find my natural point of aim with my hand @V, that natural point of aim is very consistent.

If I have a hard time finding natural point of aim with a heavy pistol, is it all right to just use my with no pistol?
RobStubbs

Re: finding natural point of aim, with or without the pistol

Post by RobStubbs »

Negrin wrote:I am having a hard time finding my natural point of aim with my 1.3 kg front heavy IZH-46M.

I close my eyes for 10 seconds (not 2 or 3 seconds), then open my eyes, my natural point of aim usually varies by a small distance.

But when I don't use the pistol, just trying to find my natural point of aim with my hand @V, that natural point of aim is very consistent.

If I have a hard time finding natural point of aim with a heavy pistol, is it all right to just use my with no pistol?
You need to use the pistol as that's how you're shooting and your muscles will be loaded differently when holding the gun, or not.

Don't just close your eyes, close them, raise and lower the gun a few times and stop - with gun aiming where you think you're on target - now open your eyes and see where you're pointing.
Move your feet accordingly and repeat until you're happy.
You will find the NPA changes from day to day and across the duration of a 60-shot match. That's normal so don't worry about it.

Rob.
jackh

Post by jackh »

It is much much much more important that your sights come up to your line of sight each and every time you raise. Get that down solid first. Then move your feet to the target as required. And yes your feet position can change during a shoot.
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

+1, the natural point of aim of your hand really doesn't mean much, it's the NPA with the pistol that your looking for.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Don Nygord once told me that there is no natural point of aim. Maybe that's why, as one poster said, it changes from day to day.

On the other hand, your grip must fit perfectly so that the sights are aligned without the least effort when aiming.

Sounds like you need to get out the grinder and the putty.