reloading 32

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

buonvento wrote:When I shoot my reloaded rounds, I go high on the target, when I adjust sights also. When shooting factory cartridges, like Fiocchi, they are all in the black...
I have no experience of using N310. I seem to remember though that it is slower than my old favourite Norma R1, so 1.3 grains certainly doesn't sound like a heavy load. On the R1 I used 1.4 grains; anything less gave me inconsistency.

I only ever shot Fiocchi when I ran short of ammunition for training (many years ago). It was extremely light, so light that it didn't always operate my FAS.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

My load for my Pardini HP New is as follows

1.4gr N310, winchester primer, 98gr HBWC projectile, seated flush with the case mouth and only a very slight taper crimp.

Other loads that work and are roughly the same point of impact, plus or minus a couple of clicks on the sights are

1.5gr Winchester SuperTarget, winchester primer, 98gr HBWC

I have also used the N310 load with 100gr HBWC projectiles and once again a simliar point of aim.

This weekend I shot the three different loads during a club match as I was clearing out some old ammo they all held the black but with a maximum elevation adjustment 3 sight clicks between loads.

I have only recently started using the 100gr HBWC projectiles with N310 and they don't seem to group as well for precision as the 98gr N310 load but will comfortably group in the 10 ring during the rapidfire series, but I haven't spent enough time to prove/disprove this.

The biggest challenge for me with the .32 was making sure the Lee powder thrower was consistently throwing the small charge, I had to enlarge the hole on the lower disk to make sure the small disk charge completely fell into the case and some powder wasn't left behind.

It is a shame that Centrefire (and Standard) will no longer be a part of the Commonwealth Games after 2010 as it is a great match to shoot and there is something satisfying about shooting a centrefire pistol even though the velocity is slower than a .22

Mike
buonvento

Post by buonvento »

Thanks a lot Mikey, the next week I will try 1.4 of N310 and taper crimp although I haven't WSP primers, but two thousand CCI500...
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

Do you have a chrony? That's where I'd start, chrony your factory loads and reloads and see what the difference is.
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

buonvento wrote:
When I shoot my reloaded rounds, I go high on the target, when I adjust sights also. When shooting factory cartridges, like Fiocchi, they are all in the black...
Why would this surprise anyone ? Factory loads generally use more /different powder/projectiles/case length/degree of crimp etc., therefore the point of impact will be different to our home brewed loads.
The secret is to experiment with a recipe that suits our pistol and shooting style, and then reproduce it faithfully.
buonvento

Post by buonvento »

This is the other thing I'll do... Unfortunately it's too late for the championships!
Rover

Post by Rover »

We've drifted from the point here.

The Lee dippers or homemade ones made of .22 brass work surprisingly well and can be adjusted to throw the exact charge you want. They are fast, too, especially with ball powders.

You are not loading large amounts of ammo.
buonvento

Post by buonvento »

I use a RCBS 5.0.5 and weight doses singularly. Perhaps the problem is in the insertion, I think that the expander is too short for wadcutter bullets.
Mark Briggs

Post by Mark Briggs »

I'll throw in here a second vote for the Lee Classic Turret press. I purchased one a month or so ago after having had different progressive presses and having loaded for many years on single stage presses for my "accurate" ammo. The Lee Classic Turret press is capable of making very good ammo at a rate of about 200 rounds per hour.

With a Walther GSP, 1.8 grains 231 and a 98 grain cast wadcutter I'm able to produce groups that will hold the 10 ring without difficulty. So far I haven't found the right load for the Pardini HPE, but I'm working on it. The Classic Turret press certainly has the capacity to produce quality ammunition.

One point/question for others here... Is it just me, or does V-V N310 seem to produce a sharper recoil impulse than perhaps 231 or WST? I played around with 1.3gr N310 and found that it seemed to produce as much recoil as a 1.8gr load of 231. Any feedback on this point would be appreciated.
buonvento

Post by buonvento »

At last I've found that:
1) the barrel (internal diameter) is 0.314.
2) the expander (RCBS) is also 0.314.
3) my bullets (Fiocchi LWCHB 100) are ...0.312!
6string

Post by 6string »

Buonvento,

You may want to try a larger diameter bullet. Since the bullets are hollow base wadcutter, it might work OK if you have the expander turned down to .311-.312". Maybe RCBS already makes one you could buy.

Ciao,
Jim
Fortitudo Dei

Post by Fortitudo Dei »

Mark Briggs wrote: Is it just me, or does V-V N310 seem to produce a sharper recoil impulse than perhaps 231 or WST? I played around with 1.3gr N310 and found that it seemed to produce as much recoil as a 1.8gr load of 231.
Me too. I found N310 to be one of the fastest burning powders I have ever come across - to the point where extremely accurate powder measurement is vital. I started to use it once I could no longer get Winchester WST (it was unobtainable for about two years). My standard load had been 1.5 grains of WST, but found that a fraction over 1.3 grains of N310 was enough for about 10% of my HBWC's to separate at the skirt. I've since managed to get another supply of WST and have gone back to using that. My stash of N310 is in storage in case the supply of Winchester ever disappears again.

Post by 220 »

Mark Briggs wrote:I'll throw in here a second vote for the Lee Classic Turret press. I purchased one a month or so ago after having had different progressive presses and having loaded for many years on single stage presses for my "accurate" ammo.
I think most presses will produce accurate ammo it is juat a matter of refining your loading technique and finding the right load for the gun.
I am waiting for a micro disc for my Lee Pro 1000 so I can start loading for my 32 with it. People continually rubbish lee gear but I can load 400 rounds per hour for my 38 and they will consistantly group around 25mm.
dhurt

Post by dhurt »

220, I also have a Lee 1000, and I think it works well! I have had a little sticking of the micro disc when using VV310, which is sucky when shooting nationals and no bullet hits the target (the last shot of precision). Other powders have worked well. It may just be a case of tweaking the adjustments, but I have not loaded VV310 with this machine since. Good luck, Dwaine.
dazza

Reloading 32

Post by dazza »

Mikey wrote:My load for my Pardini HP New is as follows

1.4gr N310, winchester primer, 98gr HBWC projectile, seated flush with the case mouth and only a very slight taper crimp.

Other loads that work and are roughly the same point of impact, plus or minus a couple of clicks on the sights are

1.5gr Winchester SuperTarget, winchester primer, 98gr HBWC

I have also used the N310 load with 100gr HBWC projectiles and once again a simliar point of aim.

Mike
Could you please advise the diameter, brand, and source of supply for the 98gr and 100 gr HBWC projectiles that you are using.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Dazza

The 100gr projectiles are locally made in New Zealand, but the 98gr are made by Bullzi in Australia, and are my preference to shoot with.

http://www.metrosystems.com.au/~bullzi/index.html

I have never actually measured the diameter but I am pretty sure Hank can size them to your requirements

Regards

Mikey