Visualisation

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
higginsdj

Visualisation

Post by higginsdj »

What do shooters understand by the term visualisation? Is it getting an actual mental picture of each step/stage (ie like watching/replaying a movie of what you actually/should see) or is it just running through a mental checklist?

If it is the former, can someone suggest some exercises/references to help. I find it very difficult to get a clear mental picture in my mind of anything. The best I have been able to achieve thus far is just describing in detail what I expect to do.

Cheers

David
jackh

Post by jackh »

No mental movies in my head. Sometimes I might get a short short image of one freeze frame of the shot, similar to the memory I get when someone mentions the Queen of England. I din't actually "see" her, but I know what she looks like.
guests

Post by guests »

Ultimately, it means living the experience with all senses.

This is, well, really hard to do!

To achieve it requires a lot of practice and focused effort over time.

Having a vivid imagination helps.

I follow the exercises of Terry Orlick; Lanny Bassham is pretty popular with the rifle folks.

When I first started learnign how to do this, I was pretty much in black and white snapshot mode. After a lot of practice and earnest trying, I was able to add motion (!) and color (!!). After a very long while, I was able to picture in my mind (with sound, and some tactile feedback) the gun coming down from the apex of loft, into the settle, and the breaking of the shot. This took years by the way. It required several times per week of dedicated trying.

Once you learn how to do it, it's pretty cool actually. Sadly, I can't really say how much it actually helps though . . .

Steve Swartz
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

Once you learn how to do it, it's pretty cool actually. Sadly, I can't really say how much it actually helps though . . .

Steve Swartz
My experience as well Steve.

I thought that Jackh put it quite clearly.
jackh

Post by jackh »

guests wrote:Ultimately, it means living the experience with all senses.

This is, well, really hard to do!

To achieve it requires a lot of practice and focused effort over time.

Having a vivid imagination helps.

I follow the exercises of Terry Orlick; Lanny Bassham is pretty popular with the rifle folks.

When I first started learnign how to do this, I was pretty much in black and white snapshot mode. After a lot of practice and earnest trying, I was able to add motion (!) and color (!!). After a very long while, I was able to picture in my mind (with sound, and some tactile feedback) the gun coming down from the apex of loft, into the settle, and the breaking of the shot. This took years by the way. It required several times per week of dedicated trying.

Steve Swartz

"Focused effort over time". Never happened here. I only been trying for 38 years.
bryan

Post by bryan »

Most people are verbal thinkers, but some are picture thinkers, both can learn the other in time.
if a picture is worth a thousand words, you guess which is quickest.

you need to learn to shoot well before you can go down this path, but if it really takes that long to learn? start practicing.

just dreaming awake.
guests

Post by guests »

Follow-Up: in addition to getting some books on the subject and practicing the drills they provide, here's what worked for me.

-Start with just the moment of breaking the shot.
--Add more of the process as you get more proficient.
--Don't forget to include follow through.

-Start with just static visual imagery ("snapshot")
--Add movement as you get more proficient.
--Add more senses (feel, noise, etc.) as you get more proficient.

-I used a tape recording of my own voice "walking me through" the shot process, and listened to it as I imagined being in the situation.
--Start with some relaxation sound
--Start with relaxation script

Anyhow, good luck!

In retrospect, I think you will find that the *benefits* of doing this are somewaht subtle . . . I noticed the "lack of benefits" when I stopped doing this daily more than I noticed the "accrual of benefits" when I started doing this . . .

Steve Swartz
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

As for the effects of visualization there have been studies that showed a positive outcome in those that used visualization;

One study I remember was done with basketball free throws

One group practiced
One group used only visualization
One control group that did nothing

The group that did nothing showed no improvement or declined, the improvement in the group that practiced improved 24% and the group that did visualization only improved 23%.

http://curtrosengren.typepad.com/occupa ... suali.html

The more vivid the visualization the better it is, that includes sights, sounds and smells. It's definitely not just running through a mental checklist, its about putting yourself "there" in your mind. Some people may find it difficult, if so like Steve suggested tackle it in small chunks and the next time your actually shooting pay attention to things such as how the grip feels, what the range smells like, what the ground feels like under your feet while in position.
Steve Swartz

Post by Steve Swartz »

Ahh great point Richard; I agree that much of the benefit is gained by focusing on your *current technique* with increased intensity; in orer to get a better feel for your perfect visualization!

Indeed, at that point all that's left is pulling the "current technique" closer to the "perfection visualized" in your mind . . .Grasshopper!

Paying closer attention to your technique, and comparing it to a perfected technique regularly is a "Good Thing" no matter what your philosophical perspective.

Steve
melchloboo

Post by melchloboo »

I'll throw in a slight wrinkle. I sometimes spend a visualization session imagining everything going perfectly. But often I try to visualize myself overcoming common problems. Such as the jitters I get the first few shots of a match, my grip feeling not quite right that day, bad lighting, and other distractions. I imagine myself overcoming those problems and ignoring them.

Later when those problems arise in the match, I am much better at shooting through them and not letting them lead to disaster i.e. been there, done that.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

Visualisation is a very powerful tool, but as Steve states, it's not an easy process to acheive. I would guess that I'm about 30% there as I try and visualise good sight alignment and shot release, leading to a perfect bull. I can do that some of the time but I certainly don't do it for every shot. I also can't do colour or moving images.

What it will do for you if you can get it, is help you overcome nerves by occupying your mind with positive thoughts. Training for distractions can be good but I prefer just to focus on the positives as that is what you will always return to to get the good shots flowing. I do however know what it feels like to have a target malfunction and have to move points etc and I know how I will cope with it and what it 'feels' like.

Rob.
2650 Plus

Visulisation

Post by 2650 Plus »

I started with a written shot plan and a picture of perfectly alligned sights in my gun box. I first ran the shot plan on words while focusing on the picture of the alligned sights just before delivering the shot. I knew this was not a final goal and began to study the literature on visualisation. I began by developing a mental picture that moved through the shot sequence with the intention of arriving at the shot break with total mental envolvement and a precice focus on sight allignment, with trigger finger movement being carried out as a conditioned response started prior to the focus on sights. That is , I didn't want to ever have a concious awareness of the trigger finger after the signal to the finger to start moving. Now I would like to stress how importand I found positive thinking to be. In slow fire, If I had the slightest negative concept intrude into the mental process , I stopped, Reviewed a sequence of good shots and told myself that this next shot was going to be a ten and re ran the complete mental sequence then fired the shot.. Note that I am describing my own experience and how I fire the shot. There may be as many ways to perform the visualisation as ther are shooters. Good Shooting Bill Horton
2650 Plus

Visulisation

Post by 2650 Plus »

I began trying to improve the visualisation process as I began to see substantual and steady improvement in score.For example the ten count seemed to exceed my perceptions of how still my hold appeared.About this time in my developement as a shooter I met Lanny Basham. I only found two thinge that I could use at that time. The first was the concept of becoming " The Ultimate You ' for the next shot. This was the idea that every shot fired must be modeled on the best shot I had ever made. The second was the requirement to visualise the "ultimate you shot "then raise the pistol and execute the same shot. Lanny stated the principle as " The more perfectly you visualise the shot the greater the effect on your performance ". I added two more ideas to the rule for visualisation. The next was stated as the more often you perform the perfect visualisation the greater the effect on your performance. The last was the closer to the moment of firing the shot the visualitation is conducted the greater the effect on performance. I also found about this time that my viisualisation was faulty. I found that it was necessary for me to conduct the visualisation at the same rythem as the shot was fired, 2650 came immeadiately as did 560 in Free Pistol. Good Shooting Bill Horton
Steve Swartz

Post by Steve Swartz »

Great points Bill!

For me, visualization exercises occur in two settings:

1) in conjunction with self-hypnosis script at end of daily training session (20 minute session; using multiple full shot plan exercises); and

2) in shot plan right before lifting the gun (abbreviated "moment of truth" settle/release exercise)

Steve Swartz
Ed Hall

Post by Ed Hall »

Steve Swartz wrote: 2) in shot plan right before lifting the gun (abbreviated "moment of truth" settle/release exercise)

Steve Swartz
Let us not forget the time during the rest of the shot process...

Take Care,
Ed Hall
Air Force Shooting Homepage
Bullseye (and International) Competition Things
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

For me visualization is a separate from, running through the shot process prior to the shot (that is also the way I usually instruct it too).

Visualization to me is just that, you aren't at the range you don't have the pistol in your hand and your not shooting. Visualization is the process of visualizing the activity in as much detail as you can.

Running through the process on the line I prefer to call mental rehearsal, they are similar, but to me different enough to be separate activities.

Visualization I equate more to a form of meditation.
gordonfriesen

Re: Visulisation

Post by gordonfriesen »

2650 Plus wrote: I also found about this time that my viisualisation was faulty. I found that it was necessary for me to conduct the visualisation at the same rythem as the shot was fired...
Bill,

Thanks for these very helpful posts. In fact, all of your posts which I have read to date have directly aided in my understanding of the sport.

Now I am wondering about how you fit in the visualization with the shot, do them both at the same speed and still have time to finish your string in the required time. Can you tell me how long your shot takes and how long your recovery time? From that I can figure how long your string should be if there were no aborts. Also, when you do the visualization, do you actually do the breathing? I mention this, because after a shot it takes me a few breaths to get my breathing under control enough to do the sequence again. And if I stop breathing while I do the visualization, as I do when I take the shot, it seems to me I would also have to find time to recover from that.

Basically, I'm having trouble with the idea of doing five full out rehearsals for five shots, making ten in all and still fitting them into my time. But I am open to the idea that I have been just wasting a lot of time.

Best Regards,

Gordon
Ed Hall

Post by Ed Hall »

A short story - take from it what you will...

When I first started shooting, one of my coaching sources was Joe White, who is probably only familiar to members of the NRA Conventional circles of old. He did speak of visualization and I was eager to learn and demonstrate these areas and others he might toss out.

On one particular day I was proud of an accomplishment and ran to tell him. His response was unexpected, but did show me more light. Here are the particulars:

He had spoken of visualizing what you want to achieve. For the sport I was involved in, we had strings of five shots in 20 seconds for a portion, fired with a .45 caliber pistol. When I first tried visualizing a target with ten tens, I couldn't do it. I formed the image of the target, but the shots would appear all over it and I would have to mentally move each one to the center; a time consuming task, in the least. But, I kept at it because Joe White told me to.

Well, one day as I was working on it, the strings proceeded well and I found I was able to visualize ten tens prior to the firing and when the two strings of five shots were complete, I had a target that looked just like the prior image. Yes! I was proud and ran to tell Joe White.

He looked at me and said, "Good. You're getting there."

"Getting there!?!?" I responded.

He replied, "Now, picture it as you shoot it."

My visualization beliefs are still evolving, but I currently believe in letting the subconscious know what you want before, during and after the shot process, while not really consciously doing any thinking. This might sound somewhat confusing and it probably doesn't translate to the same meaning with anyone but me, but I'm on my path.

What I described above is not the same as the rehearsal mentioned, so I agree there should be different types of visualization. While away fom the range visualize the process unfolding, with perfect results. Prior to the shot, visualize what you want to achieve. Whether it includes the actions leading to the shot or not is up to you, but do include perfect results in the imagery. (What you want to achieve might be a perfect process without regard to where it lands - think about that result a little.)

Those interested can also find something else along these lines by me in an earlier post located here.

Take Care,
Ed Hall
US Air Force Shooting Teams
Bullseye (and International) Competition Things
jackh

Post by jackh »

Geeze Ed, I just had a flash, non seen, image in my mind of the eight straight Xs I shot with my 38 OMM years and years ago. Hmmm...

Trouble is I go negative real quick and recognize my lesser ability to see after 35 or so more years. Not to mention I'm only half the studly shooter these days and I do not shoot 500-1000 22 rounds per week.
bryan

Post by bryan »

while not really consciously doing any thinking
Thats the thing, you are processing heaps in one part of your head, but not the way you assess doing something in your verbal side.
doing things automatically without verbal thought can be seen as a very silent world indead, yet there is still lots going on.

sometimes you can quickly produce the answer to something, but not know how you did it. maybe it was this part of your brain that did it, like getting in the right zone, how did it happen?

visualisation helps your concious mind accept something you have not achieved yet, it helps perfect your technique, and more importantly, it is a stepping stone to getting in the right zone.
but like most things, once you learn how, you sometimes just skip straight to it.

visualising the shot before you shoot is like your shot plan, at first everything is included, but after time you have a more simplified plan, just what is important for you, and the type of activety.