Larry's Guns?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
cloudswimmer

Larry's Guns?

Post by cloudswimmer »

Hi all, I've been a firearms shooter/collector for 20+ years with an emphasis on large bore custom revolvers and 1911's.I have recently been interested by the match air pistols you all shoot, and by searching these forums have learned a lot about your genera of arms.I don't need an olympic quality pistol, but like quality instruments, so I have been toying with getting a Steyr or Morini from Pilk, or a Pardini or the lesser priced Benelli from Larry's guns.I called Pilk and the girl on the phone was friendly and took the time to talk to me about the differences between the Steyr's and Morini's.I then called Larry's (twice) to try and talk to him about the Benelli and Pardini's, but the girl on the phone was kinda rude, didn't know much about the products, and would not let me talk to Larry.The questions I would ask she would relay to someone in the shop and then try and answer herself.I've never been treated so rudely in my 20+ years dealing with custom firearm builders like Bowen, Reeder, Clarks, Volquartzen, etc.Have any of you had this problem at Larry's?I'm finding it hard to swallow sending even 1250.00 to a dealer that won't even take a few minutes to talk with you about a gun.Are there other reputable dealers in the US that handle Pardini or Benelli?So far my searching has really only turned up Larry's.Thanks......................Chris S
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

I think that answers your question where you should buy from.

I too don't have much use for Larry's, from past dealings, and wouldn't buy anything from him.
Fred Mannis

Re: Larry's Guns?

Post by Fred Mannis »

You might try International Shooters Service, Brenzovich (FWB products), Champion's Choice, Neal Johnson Gunsmithing for the other brands. I believe Larry is the only distributor for Pardini pistols in the U.S. Larry is a shooter, gunsmith, business man - in that order. IMHO, he can be difficult to deal with.
Rover

Post by Rover »

I'll go along with Richard H.

I would put a "wanted" ad in Buy, Sell, Trade or call Pilkington and see what they have or can get for you.
GOVTMODEL

Larry's Guns

Post by GOVTMODEL »

Larry is from Maine, and the folks there are a little odd. Larry hisself is a pretty typical Maine-iac.

A bit more seriously, all my dealings with Larry have been quite pleasant. He is the US agent for Pardini, Benelli, and Hammerli, so his shop is quite busy at times.

I've always been satisfied and will continue to shop there.

Richard Ashmore

Post by Guest »

The reason I went with a Walther is because of the poor customer service from Larry's. I really like the pardini grip position and it was tuff to make that call.
K5Tangos

Post by K5Tangos »

I can verify most of the posts above. I have dealt with Mr. Carter for about 8 years now, through several new and used Benellis and Pardinis.

My $.02:

(1) The equipment from both brands has been terrific, but like all gear, not perfect.

(2) Mr. Carter's technical prowess as an armorer is top notch. In a few instances, initial serious problems (such as doubling from the Benelli .22) were diagnosed and repaired rapidly, on the spot, at no cost. Other non critical maintenance issues can take time due to the sheer volume of work he handles.

(3) The personal side of customer service has been sorely lacking. Most I think was due to the volume noted in (2) above, along with a few short lived employees that knew very little about the technical aspects of the equipment.

Recently his daughter Amanda has returned to the company (from business school?) and things have improved, though not yet to the 5 star service from others. In the few instances I have dealt with her, she was quite knowledgeable and pleasant. She has been up front if she didn't have an answer, but has always returned emails and calls promptly with the information. Orders have always been correctly packed and shipped quickly.

Would I buy from Larry's again? Absolutely, with an understanding that although things may take a little more time to get accomplished, they will ultimately get done correctly by a company that does stand behind their product.

For what it's worth.

Keith
cloudswimmer

Post by cloudswimmer »

Well after finding this online:

http://shrani.si/f/1B/t8/1YfkyieA/steyr-lp10-gold.jpg

I think I've decided to get on the waiting list for a silver LP10.Called Pilk again today and talked to I believe Scott's wife.Again VERY nice and knowledgeable, and encouraged me to wait the two months for the silver Steyr.In the mean time I just ordered an IZH-46m to play around with since the Steyr's are back ordered, and once I do get it I will be sending out again to my firearms engraver for another month for gold anodizing and engraving :)I was was very close to ordering the Benelli today, but the girl (who must not be Larry's daughter) pretty much lost the deal for me.I'm glad for those who's Larry's deals turned out good, and am thankful I found this board as there are tons of really interesting reading here............................Chris
Guest Twenty

Larry's

Post by Guest Twenty »

I have been to Larry's. I know first hand what his shop looks like. He is THE gunsmith. If he answered all the calls that came in he would not get any gunsmithing done. I am not defending him - just stating a fact. When it come to air pistols - all of the top names are GREAT - it all boils down to personal preference. If you do not have the opportunity to handle them in person there is not too much someone on the other end of a phone can tell you.
BTW, you can learn one heck of a lot right here on Target Talk.
Fred Mannis

Post by Fred Mannis »

Chris,
If you want a beautiful, top quality gun, why not the engraved LP1 that Pilkington has for sale? IMHO, as nice looking as the gold LP10 pictured, and in the opinion of many a better shooting pistol than the LP10.
Nohman

Post by Nohman »

I have made several purchases from Larry's Guns over the past few years, including most recently a new Pardini SP, which I received just a few weeks ago. Every email I ever sent him was promptly replied to, and every time I called (which was more than once) Larry or Amanda picked right up and answered my question or concern in a helpful and friendly fashion.

Everything I bought from him, from the Pardini to misc trigger parts for my old Hammerli 480 arrived on time, and as promised. I couldn't be happier with the service I have received and would definitely buy from him again or recommend the company to a friend.

It's a shame you had such a bad experience with whoever you talked to when you called Chris. I strongly suggest you send him an email about your experience, along with whatever question you had in the first place. Maybe everyone was just overworked or Larry made a bad hire, as has been suggested by previous posters. Hope it works out for you and keep shooting.
cloudswimmer

Post by cloudswimmer »

Fred Mannis wrote:Chris,
If you want a beautiful, top quality gun, why not the engraved LP1 that Pilkington has for sale? IMHO, as nice looking as the gold LP10 pictured, and in the opinion of many a better shooting pistol than the LP10.
Uh Oh...........I didn't even see that!!!!The Barbara Mandrell engraved LP1 I assume, now THAT looks VERY collectable.Now for a noob question, I'm not a big Barbara Mandrell fan, does she actually shoot, or just contribute?That price is about what I'll have into the LP10 when I'm done.Very tempting 8)
cloudswimmer

Re: Larry's

Post by cloudswimmer »

Guest Twenty wrote:I have been to Larry's. I know first hand what his shop looks like. He is THE gunsmith. If he answered all the calls that came in he would not get any gunsmithing done. I am not defending him - just stating a fact. When it come to air pistols - all of the top names are GREAT - it all boils down to personal preference. If you do not have the opportunity to handle them in person there is not too much someone on the other end of a phone can tell you.
BTW, you can learn one heck of a lot right here on Target Talk.
Well Hamilton Bowen, Gary Reeder, and Terry Tussy are three world renown gunsmiths complete with many magazine covers to their credit I've dealt with quite a bit, and they always take the time out to personally talk to me on the phone and get their gunsmithing done as well, albeit maybe in not as timely a manner.Tussy is running about a year right now :( Anyway with pilk they helped me out quite a bit on the phone telling me the differences between the LP2, LP10, 162ei, and 162 mechanical, and after telling them my background and intended use seemed to feel the LP10 would probably suit me the best.But now that Barbara Mandrell has me thrown for a loop.I'm sure if I could have just talked with Larry over there things would have seemed a little better.I hope so in the future as he has some .22's I'm also interested in.
6string

Post by 6string »

Sorry to hear about your experience. I've dealt with Larry over the phone for years and will continue to do so. Larry is a gunsmith first. He's been at it for a long time and his business practice is based on how things were done in the pre-internet days. When I call, I try to get to the point quickly and not waste his time. I know he's busy and every minute on the phone might be taking him from an important job. Larry is also an excellent shooter and spends the needed time to hone his skills.
I can say this: He will tell you the unvarnished truth, even if it goes contrary to his own self interest. I called him about a Hammerli free pistol about 2-3 years ago, asking his advice over the 160 special and the newer FP10. As a gunsmith and shooter he absolutely recommended the 160, even though it was discontinued and he had none in stock, over the FP10, of which I believe he had at least one for sale.
I found a 160 elsewhere and thank Larry for urging me to go in that direction even though it potentially cost him a sale.
jipe

Post by jipe »

cloudswimmer wrote:Well after finding this online:

http://shrani.si/f/1B/t8/1YfkyieA/steyr-lp10-gold.jpg
This is a unique piece made by Steyr for Jesna Sekaric a top woman shooter who won an incredible amount of competitions since more than 20 years and is still shooting (she was in the women 10m pistol final in Beijing).

Post by Guest »

Another source for Pardini? Note: I have no idea what this outfit is like.

http://www.theshootersbox.com/store/ind ... cts_id=935
6string

Post by 6string »

Of course, "Shooter's box" is not an importer and probably not a service center. Their almost certainly getting Pardini from Larry Carter!
GVJOHN

Larry's Guns

Post by GVJOHN »

I have had no problems. I have purchased 5 pistols (so far), parts, and one repair and everything was fine. I think this forum is the place to get answers to questions about the pros and cons of this vs that. Make a decision, then place your order with whoever can deliver the best deal for you. The voice on the other end may or may not be informed, but I'm past that. As long as they can take a correct order and see that it gets shipped I'm happy.
It might be interesting to hear some "rude customer" stories from dealers, importers, smiths, someday.
seamaster

Post by seamaster »

European economy is in worse shape than that of U.S., with minimal government spending stimulus.

I would not be surprised if exchange rate of Euro to dollar goes down to 1:1 in a few months.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

6string wrote:Of course, "Shooter's box" is not an importer and probably not a service center. Their almost certainly getting Pardini from Larry Carter!
I was in the market for a Pardini a while back. I sent an email to the Shooter's Box folks & never got a reply. I'm also pretty certain they are just a dealer, with no special support for Pardini's beyond what they can get from Larry.

I've bought a number of Benelli & Pardini parts & accessories from Larry's, and have generally been satisfied.