Morini cylinder gauge

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Muffo

Morini cylinder gauge

Post by Muffo »

Can you buy replacement cylindar gauges as I purchased a cm162EI today but the previous owner had the gauges removed and i havent found any on the net for sale
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

I am sure that they are available. One of mine developed a leak so I had it replaced (by a Morini service agent).

The new one has a smooth edge and is quite accurate. The old one has a ribbed edge and the needle might as well have been just painted on, it never moved (neither does the old one on my other cylinder).
Muffo

Post by Muffo »

thats why he had them removed because they leaked but I want the guage so i dont have to worry about running out
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Muffo wrote:thats why he had them removed because they leaked but I want the guage so i dont have to worry about running out
...then you need the newer type gauge with the smooth edge.

Although it's nice to have a gauge that works I never rely on them. I find that the easiest way to avoid worrying about running out is to start the match with a full cylinder. The spare will also be full. If I can't do a full match on a cylinder and the final (I wish) with the other then there's something wrong with the gun and it's time to switch to the spare (which also has 2 full cylinders).
Muffo

Post by Muffo »

thats good advise and i always do it but the gauge is an extra safe guard as in a match i filled and weighed my co2 cylindar before i shot and it slowelly leaked out but i kept telling my self that it must have been something i was doing wrong untill i ran out completely.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Remember that on the Morini, unless it is broken, it's impossible to get to the stage where velocity will be reduced. The low pressure catch will kick in way before that.

Just use a finger-nail (or sight screwdriver) to release the catch and ask for permission to take your gun off the firing point to change cylinder (6.11.4.1.2).

Using the gauge during a match is particularly difficult. I have yet to see an easy way of reading one on the firing point without having the range staff jump all over you (6.2.2.4).
tenex

Post by tenex »

David Levene wrote:...
Using the gauge during a match is particularly difficult. I have yet to see an easy way of reading one on the firing point without having the range staff jump all over you (6.2.2.4).
This is what I really like about the Pardini cylinders: in addition to being a simpler and more robust gauge, you can read it from the side without pointing the gun at your head.

Steve.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

David Levene wrote:Using the gauge during a match is particularly difficult. I have yet to see an easy way of reading one on the firing point without having the range staff jump all over you (6.2.2.4).
You could always use a mirror:

This a plastic angled inspection mirror. Small, safe & no batteries.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Gwhite wrote:
David Levene wrote:Using the gauge during a match is particularly difficult. I have yet to see an easy way of reading one on the firing point without having the range staff jump all over you (6.2.2.4).

Good idea.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

Back to the original topic: I haven't had a problem with my older knurled gauges, but from the sound of things, it may only be a matter of time. Does anyone know if there is someone in the USA who can replace the gauges with the new style? Replacement cylinders are $175 from our host, so it's presumably worth retrofitting the gauges rather than buying whole new cylinders.
Muffo

Post by Muffo »

Gwhite wrote:

Good idea im getting one
jipe

Post by jipe »

Gwhite wrote:Back to the original topic: I haven't had a problem with my older knurled gauges, but from the sound of things, it may only be a matter of time. Does anyone know if there is someone in the USA who can replace the gauges with the new style? Replacement cylinders are $175 from our host, so it's presumably worth retrofitting the gauges rather than buying whole new cylinders.
How old are your cylinders ?

Take inro account the new rule that says that you cannot use a cylinder more than 10 years starting from the manufacturing date stamped on the cylinder.

It seems that Morini cylinder can be re-tested and the are again valid for 10 years. But the costs of the test seems quite high compared to the price of a new cylinder => if your cylinder are old, i.e. close to the 10 year limit, is the investment for a new gauge worth ?

For Steyr aluminium cylinder, its simpler: they can only be used 10 years after that they must be emptied and destroyed, no re-test (new rule from the cylinder manufacturer: http://www.steyr-sportwaffen.at/content ... uschen.pdf)
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

It turns out one of my cylinders is good for only 7 months. It's been a while since I shot it, and I'd forgotten that the 2nd cylinder had to be replaced and already has the new gauge. It's good for several more years.

I sent queries off to several US Morini dealers to see what the economics of both cylinder testing & gauge replacement are. I won't be surprised if just getting a new cylinder is the best way to go.
Muffo

Post by Muffo »

My cylindars dont have a date on it but they say 20 year ussage limate, so according to the rulues that should mean 10 years doesnt apply to mine its 20 but not sure how i prove how old they are
jipe

Post by jipe »

Muffo wrote:My cylindars dont have a date on it but they say 20 year ussage limate, so according to the rulues that should mean 10 years doesnt apply to mine its 20 but not sure how i prove how old they are
It seems now that the new rules only apply for German/Austrian manufacturesr member of the JCM association (Anschutz, Steyr, Feinwerkbau, Hammerli, Walther, Rohm, Weihrauch).

There seems to be no new rules yet for Morini, Pardini, Benelli and Tesro (who is not member of JCM) !?
jak10x1

Cylinder gauge

Post by jak10x1 »

Pilkington has the new style. 42 + labor to change.

John
Muffo

Post by Muffo »

Ok thanks Il get a couple. next thing do you know where i can find the sight extension that comes on the short model. and a bleeder cos mine didnt come with one and i dont think unscrewing the bung with pressure in the cylindar in it is a good idea
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Muffo wrote:Ok thanks Il get a couple. next thing do you know where i can find the sight extension that comes on the short model. and a bleeder cos mine didnt come with one and i dont think unscrewing the bung with pressure in the cylindar in it is a good idea
It might be worth asking the people you intend getting the gauges from.

If they can buy the gauges from Morini then the other bits you want won't be a problem.

Post by Guest »

their not morini gauges