Weight for Second Stage

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Weekend Shooter

Weight for Second Stage

Post by Weekend Shooter »

I ve tried to do a search on the optimal weight for the second stage, but couldn't find any. I know the answer could be the usual, "As you like it..." but I wanted to ask the resident experts for their thoughts on the advantages of having a very light second stage (as to cut on my search / training time). I lightened my second stage of my AP and am having a hard time controlling the let off. Should I force myself to relearn the trigger or am I waisting my time. I did this since I wanted to bring my AP closer to the FP which has very light second (and first) stages.

Appreciate any comments. Thanks!
Freepistol

Post by Freepistol »

Hi Weekend,
The trigger weight of an AP cannot be lighter than 500g. I would think that is not close to your free pistol.
Good shooting!
Ben
Weekend Shooter

Sorry for the confusion. The total weight is 500gr however broken down in say 480gr for the 1st stage and 20gr for the second stage. I think that's legal..

Any thoughts if it should be say, 350/150gr or 480/20gr? The 480/20gr is closer to a FP since the final shot (which is what I feel by and large) is the last 20gr.
Fred Mannis

Re: Weight for Second Stage

Post by Fred Mannis »

Weekend Shooter wrote:I did this since I wanted to bring my AP closer to the FP which has very light second (and first) stages.

I have never tried a 480/20 AP trigger, but it seems to me that it would be very different from a 20 gm single stage FP trigger. So I see no benefit to having a very light 2nd stage, and you now you have the problem of not being able to control release on the AP. My AP triggers are typically set 450/100.
Muffo

Post by Muffo »

I shoot like this and it reduses the trouble i have going from shooting free to shooting air. once learnt i think it reduces trigger shots as well.what air pistol do you use. my FWB wont go down as far as 20g or it goes off at random from not enough seer engagement. I think the lightest i could get it was around 50 grams. I am buying a morini and the specs say it cant go under 220g i think so i hope i can get it lighter than that. I borrowed one for a comp today and shot 17 inner 10s which i was pritty happy about
JulianY

Re: Weight for Second Stage

Post by JulianY »

Weekend Shooter wrote:I ve tried to do a search on the optimal weight for the second stage, but couldn't find any. I know the answer could be the usual, "As you like it..." but I wanted to ask the resident experts for their thoughts on the advantages of having a very light second stage (as to cut on my search / training time). I lightened my second stage of my AP and am having a hard time controlling the let off. Should I force myself to relearn the trigger or am I waisting my time. I did this since I wanted to bring my AP closer to the FP which has very light second (and first) stages.

I think you haVe to seperate in your mind the way a free pistol and a regular pistiols trigger feels. It is a diferent technique. remember an Ap 10 500 grams and a standard is 1000. if you ar pulling 980g you will never feel the las 20g so lean the tecnique.

J
Weekend Shooter

I m using an FWB P40. I practically unscrewed the second stage weight adjustment screw to the lightest possible. I think the Julian has a point. Coming from a 500gr total trigger makes the last grams feel like nothing.

But it seems that Fred has a point in his choice (surely, his experience his more vast than mine) in choosing a 'real' weight.

I think I'm on the wrong path. Time to tighten the screws a little. On both my AP and FP. I just started on the FP (thus the current experimentation).
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

I too agree with the philosophy of having a large differential and not even trying to mimic another gun. Mine is set to about 350 / 200 ish.

Rob.
Muffo

Post by Muffo »

I wouldnt agree with this its only a matter of training. with training the first stage pull weight just becomes automatic to take up when shooting AP. Then it just comes down to the second stage weight
David M

Air Vs Free triggers

Post by David M »

It will be nearly impossible to use a two stage air pistol trigger to train for free pistol. They are two very different trigger skills.
A Airpistol two stage trigger will be set up for a crisp second stage break, so the load on the second stage needs to be sufficent to be able to feel and distinguish the difference between the first and second stage. The lighest second stage you can control with a lot of training is about 80 grams. A average spread will be 300-400 grams on first stage and 100-200 grams on second stage. You need to be able to feel the second stage pressure increase and still have a surprise trigger break, if the second stage is too light all you do is snatch and grab at the shot with little control.
Free pistol triggers are normally set as single stage break triggers some where between 40 to 120 grams (most are 55-80 grams). Some highly trained free shooters can go as light a 15 gram, but it takes a lot of training.
If the trigger is set to 55-65 grams, a feel of the trigger touching the finger will not set offf the trigger. As touch is increased on the finger pad at about 50-60 gram you will feel the trigger pull in on the fat of the finger and become firm in feel. A even pressure increase will break the trigger and fire the shot.
I set my free pistol to 55 gram during hot weather, in winter I need more feel so it goes up to about 85 grams (also in a final a slightly higher weight will help with controlling the shot under pressure).
Freepistol

Post by Freepistol »

Excellent description, David.
bryan

Post by bryan »

still learning to shoot pistol, so last few months I have set the ap second stage very light, as didnt like the factory setup, found the end result was as david said, stop squeezing and start snatching.

have added more second stage weight, but still not enough, dont have scales yet, but is very light.
also loose the odd shot in the warmup when taking up 1st stage.

so to induce squeeze, requires a little weight to take up, I hope.
bryan

Post by bryan »

oops
Last edited by bryan on Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
bryan

Post by bryan »

dont know about enter key, but shift and control are beeping, virus protection going nuts, cant get ride of it.
Last edited by bryan on Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

Looks like your enter key is a bit too light too ;)