Matchguns MG2 and ammo

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
diopter

Matchguns MG2 and ammo

Post by diopter »

Which combination are people having success with, and which ones to avoid.

I tried the Lapua Club(500/tin, SK manufature) in a friend's new MG2 rapidfire, and it left quite a bit to be desired for reliability. Dirty and flakes everywhere, stovepipes, failures to feed, etc. Got worse the more I shot, but even had a stovepipe on the second shot. Gave up after about 50 rounds. Bolt face and firing pin were caked with soot.

Ammo does Ok in my IZH and Pardini.
Last edited by diopter on Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tycho

Post by Tycho »

I'm using SK Standard Pistol, good stuff. Fiocchi works well, too - but is much more expensive, and kicks a bit harder. In general, our MG2s herearound work well with pretty much everything in the common V0 range, haven't heard anybody complaining about ammo problems.
BPBrinson

Post by BPBrinson »

My MG2 works well w/ Eley Sport. Cheap, but dirty, however few problems and accurate enough at 25M. Aguila SE is the same stuff.

YMMV
Brooks
Mike Taylor

MG2 and Lapua

Post by Mike Taylor »

My MG2 works well with Lapua Standard Club (500/tin).
I wonder if there is a mechanical problem with the gun. The issues with feeding that you observed are consistent with a cracked or broken Bullet Insert Lever.
diopter

Post by diopter »

Managed a bit of time to try it again today.
Only two stovepipe ejections with a total of sixty rounds of RWS Pistol match, RWS club 22, and Eley Practice.
Mike Taylor

stovepipes

Post by Mike Taylor »

Even two in sixty is too much with those brands. I still suggest something is not right with the pistol.
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

Couldnt agree more Mike....mine shoots any ammo its fed with absolutely no stovepipes or feed/eject problems at all. Consequently, I use CCI or Federal champion, because of the cheaper price.
I benchrest tested about six different brands, and found almost no difference in accuracy at 25m. If the gun has the latest free upgrades, it should handle any ammo...the three in our club all function on the cheaper brands as well as the ridiculously expensive ones.
MG2-owner

Re: Matchguns MG2 and ammo

Post by MG2-owner »

diopter wrote: I tried the Lapua Club(500/tin, SK manufature) in a friend's new MG2 rapidfire, and it left quite a bit to be desired for reliability.
stovepipes, failures to feed, etc. Got worse the more I shot, but even had a stovepipe on the second shot.
Gave up after about 50 rounds.
Ammo does Ok in my IZH and Pardini.
Hello, "diopter", and welcome, - you are now a member of "The Society of Troubled MG2-Owners". And , you bet, you are not alone!

IF you read the thread "Worst gun" of this forum, you may learn that the MG2 has proved to be one of the most troubled match .22 guns to hit the market in the last quarter century.
And you may notice, too, there appears be a "cover up" campaign going on on this forum, a campaign trying to concinse everyone that the MG2 is a very reliable and trouble-free gun. Which is definitely not true. As your post clearly informs us.

One frequent poster of this forum claimed recently "the MG2 is troublefree now, and everybody is happy with it now."
Truly, very many owners, of new, and older, MG2 guns, are not very happy.
diopter

Post by diopter »

I noticed wear already on the top forward edge of the extractor where it enters into the extractor groove in the chamber. The extractor groove itself seems to be cut higher than the centerline. The cartridge carrier seems fairly stiff, is that normal in a well operating example?
Brian James

Post by Brian James »

MG2 -Owner, my personal tolerance for your continued negativity towards the MG2 is wearing very thin. If there is a campaign occurring on this forum, it may very well be a personal campaign by you to malign MG. We are all painfully aware you are displeased with your MG2. However, you are free to do what you like, but it’s a shame you can’t move on.

MG has offered me excellent customer service and has supported many shooters I know who were early adopters of their pistols. No product is perfect, and I’m not going to list again the companies who have struggled to release quality products. Tesro, boutique and quasi-innovative company is charging their customers for the “updates” to their pistol unlike MG.

I would argue that if you sent your pistol back to MG, you would receive a great pistol back. I have had to send mine back to be repaired, and I know have a fantastic pistol (I’ve had to do this for a Hammerli and Morini Pistol – who arguably produce great quality products – old Hammerli at least).
Brian James

Post by Brian James »

Diopter,

There are 5 MG2s in Ottawa, and I had a lot of trouble with mine for a while. If you are having problems why don't we arrange to meet? Another forum member Mark B has two of them and is very good at troubleshooting them for other people - his series 1000 pistols work flawlessly (also in the Ottawa area).

PM me with your phone number, and I can call you. I know how frustrating this process can be.

If you search for my screen name, you see a few good threads on trouble shooting the MG2.

Brian James
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

Brian James wrote:Tesro, boutique and quasi-innovative company is charging their customers for the “updates” to their pistol unlike MG.
Maybe, and that is not very nice, I agree with you. Nevertheless, Tesro is considered a serious producer by shooters here, sells well, and enjoys a high reputation. Neither of the three criteria applies to the other ;-).
Even though (!) I have also heard of teething problems (one of our club shooters cursed Tesro quite loudly).

Alexander
Tycho

Post by Tycho »

Yeah, and who has seen a working .32 Tesro?
diopter

Post by diopter »

Started communicating with Stephano at MG.
Will be sending him some pictures he requested this evening.
It seems it is a two year old brand new pistol.

Brian, you do the Victoria day Match at Connaught?
Mark Briggs

Post by Mark Briggs »

Diopter - I'll likely be running Air Pistol at the Connaught match this year so will probably have less time for other events with the .22's. Notwithstanding this statement, if you wish to bring your MG-2 we can have a look at it and see what might be wrong. I'm fairly certain at least four other MG-2's will be on hand for the match (I'll bring along my pair if needs be and I know Briank will have his there). Drop a private message here and we can hook up to coordinate.
Mark Briggs

Post by Mark Briggs »

I should also mention that my MG-2's perform flawlessly. There's a troll on this board who constantly runs down the MG-2 but seemingly is so busy spending his time writing criticisms that he can't correspond with Matchguns in order to get his pistol fixed. I wanted you to know that while there's one very loud complainer there are a bunch of very happy MG-2 shooters around!
jipe

Post by jipe »

Alexander wrote:
Brian James wrote:Tesro, boutique and quasi-innovative company is charging their customers for the “updates” to their pistol unlike MG.
Maybe, and that is not very nice, I agree with you. Nevertheless, Tesro is considered a serious producer by shooters here, sells well, and enjoys a high reputation. Neither of the three criteria applies to the other ;-).
Even though (!) I have also heard of teething problems (one of our club shooters cursed Tesro quite loudly).

Alexander
I have seen a lot of problems with Tesro: leakage and bad seals for AP, malfunctions for TS22-1 and TS22-2 with incredible prices for the upgrade to TS22-3 or TS32-3 = about 50% of the price of a new pistol for something that is nothing elase that a correction of the design flaws of the two first versions.

Still waiting to see a Tesro at world level while MG2 and SSP appears.
F. Heinrich

I find the Tesro superior to the MG2

Post by F. Heinrich »

jipe wrote:
Still waiting to see a Tesro at world level while MG2 and SSP appears.
"jipe", your steady stream of complains about the Tesro is tedious. If you have nothing positive to contribute to the Tesro, then do not contribute at all.

My Tesro has, with the right ammo (SK standard), worked flawlessly for one full year now.

I have given up on the MG2. The Tesro serves me well. I find shootability of the Tesro superior to that of the MG2.
jipe

Re: I find the Tesro superior to the MG2

Post by jipe »

F. Heinrich wrote:My Tesro has, with the right ammo (SK standard), worked flawlessly for one full year now.
If you bought your Tesro one year from now, then I assume its a TS22-3.

Indeed, the third version seems to work fine.

The problem is for those who bought version TS22-1 and TS22-1 and must pay about 50% of the price of their pistol to have the original design flaws fixed.

I do not know if the MG2 problems are solved or not, but Matchguns exchanged the problematic parts for free.

Leaks of the PA10-2 cylinders seems not solved yet.

Re: I find the Tesro superior to the MG2

Post by Guest »

jipe wrote: If you bought your Tesro one year from now, then I assume its a TS22-3.

Indeed, the third version seems to work fine.

The problem is for those who bought version TS22-1 and TS22-1
OK, then, "Jipe". That clarifies the matter. I have got the last version, the TS22-3, yes. It works fine.