Steyr Trigger Blades

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Haleva

Steyr Trigger Blades

Post by Haleva »

I own an old version of LP10 with a black plastic trigger blade.
I wanted to know if the LP2/LP10 blades are compatible (I know the LP1 and LP10 are).

I'm trying to get the wide metal trigger (that came with the latest models of LP10). I also found a picture of LP2 with such trigger

From steyr I got the impression there are several blades models(the LP2 and LP10 are not the same)

4005030615 Trigger Blade Alu-Vario - for the LP10
4001030512 Trigger Blade standard - for the LP2

if someone can inlight on the difference between these blades and compatability issues.
bruce

Post by bruce »

My LP10 came with the black plastic blade, and I changed to the metal one in the picture (2 years ago I think), so yes, they are compatible.
edster99

Post by edster99 »

I had an LP2, than an LP10 and took the trigger for the LP2 onto the 10, so no worries... Its the same diameter thingy that it clamps on to
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

All the various Steyr trigger balde itterations are compatible, I know I've paid to try they all :) I've now found my favorite the Tec-HRO trigger, I love it.
Last edited by Richard H on Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brian James

Post by Brian James »

Richard,

The Tex-HRO is very nice, but its a bit to course for my liking on an AP and hurts on a STD/CF pistol. It would be great on a free pistol.

Brian
John Ariani

Post by John Ariani »

I'm using one too on my LP 10. Careful though. I think they
may have made this trigger for air rifles as I've failed a trigger
weight test after a match and was disqualified. There's no true 'middle' part of the blade to hang the weight from. The knife blade of the weight arm has to sit inbetween the teeth of the trigger blade. Depending on how the scrutineer views 'middle' - you either pass or fail. Now I know why non of the Worlds top AP shooters use it - yet it's a great trigger for feel and adjustment.
jipe

Post by jipe »

John Ariani wrote:I'm using one too on my LP 10. Careful though. I think they may have made this trigger for air rifles as I've failed a trigger
weight test after a match and was disqualified. There's no true 'middle' part of the blade to hang the weight from. The knife blade of the weight arm has to sit inbetween the teeth of the trigger blade. Depending on how the scrutineer views 'middle' - you either pass or fail. Now I know why non of the Worlds top AP shooters use it - yet it's a great trigger for feel and adjustment.
I had the same remark during trigger weight check. The solution is to put 500g at the lower extremity of the trigger blade. Then you will have more at any other point and will pass the check without problems. Having a little more than 500g is not a problem at all. Actually, you must always have a little more since the trigger weight may slightly change with temperature or by just moving the trigger blade forward/backward.

I do not understand why you were disqualified. Normally, the trigger check should be done before the match and if it fails, you should have the opportunity to adjust it.

About the latest Steyr LP10 trigger blade, I do not really like it, its too broad. I prefer the previous black one. May be Steyr should do like Anschutz was doing: the LP@ light of my wife was delivered with two trigger blades: the black one and the LP1 one.
John Ariani

Post by John Ariani »

Jipe wrote:
I do not understand why you were disqualified. Normally, the trigger check should be done before the match and if it fails, you should have the opportunity to adjust it.

Yes Jipe - that's the trap. it passed before the match with a different scrutineer and then failed afterwards due to the 'new' positioning of the knife blade weight arm. It's quite surprising on the difference in weight trying the two positions. [/quote]
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

John Ariani wrote:Jipe wrote:

Yes Jipe - that's the trap. it passed before the match with a different scrutineer and then failed afterwards due to the 'new' positioning of the knife blade weight arm. It's quite surprising on the difference in weight trying the two positions.
[/quote]

Measure the middle of the blade and use a dremmel and put a small groove across the middle that will solve the problem of different locations being used. I also subscribe to the school of thought that a few extra gram isn't going to hurt all mine are about 50 grams over.

Or get the button trigger that will really screw up the trigger weight testers ;)
ausdiver99

Post by ausdiver99 »

Richard H wrote:
John Ariani wrote:Jipe wrote:

Yes Jipe - that's the trap. it passed before the match with a different scrutineer and then failed afterwards due to the 'new' positioning of the knife blade weight arm. It's quite surprising on the difference in weight trying the two positions.
Measure the middle of the blade and use a dremmel and put a small groove across the middle that will solve the problem of different locations being used. I also subscribe to the school of thought that a few extra gram isn't going to hurt all mine are about 50 grams over.

Or get the button trigger that will really screw up the trigger weight testers ;)[/quote]

It wont screw up the trigger weight testers Richard - if it doesn't lift the weight it doesn't pass. Easy enough, but it seems that the competitors who get screwed up - not the tester - when things like this go haywire just before a match:-)

The rules (8.4.1.6.2) require the test be performed with the weight suspended near the centre of the trigger and with the barrel vertical.

Competitorsr have the repsonsibility to present a firearm that complies with the rules and compliance means that it can be tested inccordance with the rules. Competitors expecting EC officials to test a pistol at an angle away from vertical as their weird trigger can't be tested in the correct position are inviting elevated stress.

The tip with the dremmel (or a triangle file can be used) is excellent where the trigger design or it's slope is such that the EC officer cannot test the trigger weight in accordance with the rules.
ausdiver99

Post by ausdiver99 »

Jipe,

Random trigger checks should done in accordance with 8.4.1.6.4 after the last series of every qualification round. If a trigger fails to lift the weight after three attempts the competitor must be disqualified.
John Ariani

Post by John Ariani »

ausdiver99 - you obviously have never seen one of these triggers.
This is not about the testers or we competitors getting srewed up.
It's not about trying to sneak around the rules.
The dremmel idea of Richards is terrific.
You need to see the trigger to understand why scrutineers have trouble calculating on the 'middle' of the trigger blade position.
I totally understand - if it doesn't lift the weight - it doesn't pass.
My original post was purely to say that this wonderful trigger may have been manufactured purely with air rifle shooters in mind only. There is no obvious 'middle' of blade.
The dremmel use in the correct spot will solve the issue. The it's again up to the scrutineers to decide that this 'middle groove' is where they believe the trigger weight should hang from.
ausdiver99

Post by ausdiver99 »

Hi John,

No offence intended nor have I missed the point.

Its interesting the way threads drift off the original post. The points I wanted to make was the great benefit of that little trick with the dremmel in the earlier post on some triggers and it is the shooter not the EC officer who has problems when somethign doesn't fit the box or lift the weight. I forgot to mention the extra 50gms weight suggestion which has also been made in other posts.

I sit on plenty of EC desks and hate to see my friends having grief before a match.

I don't care whether the trigger is upside down (as one or two shooters here have) or backwards for that matter. I have seen one trigger on an LP10 which is almost straight and is angled quite steeply backwards with the base pointing in the direction of the palm rest of the grip. Without that little notch lifting the weight would be impossible.

Cheers

Pete
jipe

Post by jipe »

ausdiver99 wrote:It wont screw up the trigger weight testers Richard - if it doesn't lift the weight it doesn't pass. .
What Richard means with the point trigger is that there is only one position to place the lever of the weight measurement tool => no problem.

The problem with the othe Tec-hro is that it surface is flat, not curved => you can put the lever wherever you want on it and it will stay there while with a curved blade, if you do not put it in the center, it will anyway move to the center.

Now, the rule says near the center of the blade and I think that, even if it is possible to place the lever elsewhere, the center can easily be identified:
ausdiver99

Post by ausdiver99 »

Amazing, I have never seen one of those. I googled the name in the earlier post with no results as it was misspelled. Thanks for the pic Jipe.
John Ariani

Post by John Ariani »

That's a great photo jipe - now all can see what we are talking about.
Yes - and here's my point....."the centre can be easily identified".
Look carefully.
The centre consists of 'raised teeth'. (where the srew hole is)The knife edge of the weight arm will not sit on these.
So?
Does the scruneer decide on the 'groove above centre' or the 'groove below'.
There's about a 40 - 50gm difference in those two locations.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

John Ariani wrote:That's a great photo jipe - now all can see what we are talking about.
Yes - and here's my point....."the centre can be easily identified".
Look carefully.
The centre consists of 'raised teeth'. (where the srew hole is)The knife edge of the weight arm will not sit on these.
So?
Does the scruneer decide on the 'groove above centre' or the 'groove below'.
There's about a 40 - 50gm difference in those two locations.
Since the rules say 'near the centre' it could be either. As a shooter you should assume the worst case and make sure it passes in both locations, anything else and your asking for trouble and you could be asked to go off and adjust the trigger - far better to train with a slightly heavier trigger than to have to mess it about just before a competition.

Rob.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

RobStubbs wrote:.......... far better to train with a slightly heavier trigger than to have to mess it about just before a competition.
Or even worse, fail a post-match trigger check.
edster99

Post by edster99 »

John A : Do you really think a few mm makes 10% difference to the overall weight? The knife edge catches in the dinks between the pyramids wherever you place it, in point of fact.
John Ariani

Post by John Ariani »

Then edster99, I believe you may not have fitted or had experience with one of these triggers.
Here's my first hand experience. I set my trigger weight to 535gms using a 500gm weight (from anshultz) plus an extra 35 grams. (70 x RWS 0.50g pellets in a small plastic bag). I hang the knife edge of the weight as close to centre as 'I think', being the topside of the centre screw hole. (see jipe photo) It passes. I then hang it from the closest to centre as possible, being the underside of the screw hole. It fails more than it passes. Eight tries for two passes. (yes - I know at scrutineering the rules allow for 3 attempts only)
This is all done in the quietness of my own home range.
However - trundle off to a match where scrunineers are busy with numberous competitors and they don't test my trigger weight with the 'precision' I do.(searching intently for the exact centre) Nor should they. It's a flat blade, with no groove. Unlike the standard trigger blade of the Morini and LP10, which is curved with a groove. That makes the scutineers job so much more easy. (having a groove) So, with my pistol they hang the weight from what they perceive to be centre. The way the teeth are set up on this trigger blade it's even possible to have the knife edge of the trigger weight sit 'ever so slightly crossways' accross the flat trigger blade. So we have: A little high off centre - a little low of centre - a little crooked on the trigger blade, plus the fact that different weather conditions/temperatures can affect the trigger weight and the end result is not always the same as the 'home' result. Understandable.
I've no complaints about this trigger blade, and no complaints about how scrutineers go about their task. I was just originally making a comment/observation a few posts back. Being: As the trigger blade does not have a manufactures notch at the 'centre', maybe it was made for the air rifle shooters in mind in the first instance. And so, be extra careful, if like me (and others) you're using this on your AP.