Bedding Theory

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

BJ

Bedding Theory

Post by BJ »

Hello,

I don't know much about rifle bedding and was hoping that someone could explain to me how it works.

When you bed a rifle and put your sights back on it will the gun be pretty much on within a couple inches or at least in the black at 50 yards?

Also how do you ensure that the action is going back in the same spot as before after you have bedded it?

Thanks
Brian
Jordan F.

Post by Jordan F. »

Hi Brian

Basically what bedding does is tightens up the fit between the barreled action and the stock. A loose fit can cause inconsistencies resulting in pooer accuracy. Furthermore the wood against the medal will change with changes in humidty and temperature, etc where as the epoxy (sometimes with steel) in it will not change as much. If you remove your stock after you shoot and put it back on when you shoot and the POI is very far off then bedding it could help. It should be at least with in an inch or two at 50m.

When you remove your sight and put it back on the gun however. That has nothing, or very little anyway to do with bedding. When I remove my sights and put them back on the gun they are within 1/2" at 50m. Definately not anywhere close to being out of the black. If it is that far off chances are you are doing something wrong. Maybe torquing them way differently, or if you are removing the stock and the sights at the same time it could be the different preasures of the stock on the barreled action that is causing it.

Glass bedding is a great way to improve accuracy for the most part. I have done it on 3-4 guns and have noticed an increace in accuracy on all of them. Well, definatley not a decreace in accuracy anyway. It did tighten up the fit between the barreled action and the stock. It is a rather difficult procdedure at first and can be risky if not done right. There have been many people who have permanently glued their stocks to their barreled actions after not correctly (or using at all) the release agent.

Hope this helps!