IZH 46M

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
smitty

IZH 46M

Post by smitty »

I will be receiving my first target air pistol a IZH 46M this week. Is there anything I should do to it before I start shooting it? Should I strip it to remove all the factory oil or is it ready to go out of the box.

Thanks for the help.
HibouAttentif

Post by HibouAttentif »

Mine was fine out of the box. My only problem was that I had not read the instructions and had not realised that you really have to push down on the loading "arm" for it to "click" in place. Of course, now you have to sand the grip down to something usefull. Rigid 1/2 inch tubes of sand paper are real handy for this.

Denis
sciguy191

what are the essentials to care and feed an IZH

Post by sciguy191 »

Just to piggy back on this topic, I have a used IZH 46M that should be coming to me within the next week. Other than pellets and I would assume Pelgun Oil are there any other items I should have on hand to
keep a 2 year old IZH 46M working continuously?

Seals? Is there only one or are there two different types? Where might one purchase such items.

Thanks for any informed responses!

Hugh
Fred Mannis

Re: what are the essentials to care and feed an IZH

Post by Fred Mannis »

sciguy191 wrote:Just to piggy back on this topic, I have a used IZH 46M that should be coming to me within the next week. Other than pellets and I would assume Pelgun Oil are there any other items I should have on hand to

Seals? Is there only one or are there two different types? Where might one purchase such items.

Hugh
I bought my spare IZH46 seals from Pilkington. After four years the only ones I have used are the two seals on the bolt.
You need to lubricate the linkage on the cocking arm with a quality oil. I do mine when I lube the piston seal.
Do you have a manual? If not I can send one as a PDF file
FredB

Post by FredB »

Fred Mannis wrote: I bought my spare IZH46 seals from Pilkington. After four years the only ones I have used are the two seals on the bolt.
You need to lubricate the linkage on the cocking arm with a quality oil. I do mine when I lube the piston seal.
Fred,

I never got a manual when I bought my old IZH46 years ago. Could you please send me one?

Thanks,
FredB
frbauer(AT)msn.com
sciguy191

Post by sciguy191 »

Fred Mannis wrote:
sciguy191 wrote:Just to piggy back on this topic, I have a used IZH 46M that should be coming to me within the next week. Other than pellets and I would assume Pelgun Oil are there any other items I should have on hand to

Hugh
I bought my spare IZH46 seals from Pilkington. After four years the only ones I have used are the two seals on the bolt.
Fred,

Thanks for the quick response and useful information. Last night I located a pretty nice IZZY web page with many links including one to a manual PDF. Do you know if the bolt seals are available by themselves? While this is a pretty inexpensive sport, the shipping on small items bugs be a bit. So many things cost way more to ship than the item does.

Best Regards,

Hugh
sciguy191

Post by sciguy191 »

Fred Mannis wrote:

Hugh
Fred,

Thanks for the quick and very useful response! Is there somewhere that I can obtain just the bolt seals? I was able to locate the Manual PDF last night via a nice IZZY web page that Google lead me too.

Best Regards,

Hugh
Fred Mannis

Post by Fred Mannis »

See http://www.pyramydair.com/cgi-bin/acces ... ory_id=592
for a seal kit.
I would check with Pilkguns for just the bolt seals; if they have them I'm sure they would just put them in an envelope for a minimal shipping fee
Fred Mannis

Post by Fred Mannis »

See http://www.pyramydair.com/cgi-bin/acces ... ory_id=592
for a seal kit.
I would check with Pilkguns for just the bolt seals; if they have them I'm sure they would just put them in an envelope for a minimal shipping fee
Fred Mannis

Post by Fred Mannis »

See
http://www.pyramydair.com/cgi-bin/acces ... ory_id=592
for a seal kit.
Fred Mannis

Post by Fred Mannis »

Pyramid Air sells just the bolt seals for $5.99, but I expect shipping might be ~$5.00
http://www.pyramydair.com/cgi-bin/acces ... ry_id=2090
Fred Mannis

Post by Fred Mannis »

Pyramid Air sells just the bolt seals for $5.99/pr, but I expect shipping might be as much.
http://www.pyramydair.com/cgi-bin/acces ... ry_id=2090

Fred Mannis

Post by Fred Mannis »

FredB wrote:
Fred,

I never got a manual when I bought my old IZH46 years ago. Could you please send me one?

Thanks,
FredB
frbauer(AT)msn.com
Done
william

Post by william »

I shot a 46 for nearly 8 years, probably 20,000 pellets and never wore out a bolt seal. When done shooting, close the action but don't latch it - breechblock lightly resting on frame. The seals aren't compressed and should last nearly forever. The man I sold it to in 2001 still has it, stores it that way and has yet to need replacements.

The piston seal may get leaky over time, and this too can be prevented. Dismantle the cylinder, wipe off any lubricants and/or preservatives (use no solvents!) and coat the seal gently with high quality silicone grease. Repeat this once a year or so and don't worry. The best silicone grease is "high vacuum" and is best liberated in small quantities from a high school chem lab.

Keep in mind that the Russians harden very few of the parts, so try to avoid rough treatment. F'rinstance letting the breechblock snap down on the frame will create a lovely groove in the frame from where the angle strikes it.
william

Post by william »

I shot a 46 for nearly 8 years, probably 20,000 pellets and never wore out a bolt seal. When done shooting, close the action but don't latch it - breechblock lightly resting on frame. The seals aren't compressed and should last nearly forever. The man I sold it to in 2001 still has it, stores it that way and has yet to need replacements.

The piston seal may get leaky over time, and this too can be prevented. Dismantle the cylinder, wipe off any lubricants and/or preservatives (use no solvents!) and coat the seal gently with high quality silicone grease. Repeat this once a year or so and don't worry. The best silicone grease is "high vacuum" and is best liberated in small quantities from a high school chem lab.

Keep in mind that the Russians harden very few of the parts, so try to avoid rough treatment. F'rinstance letting the breechblock snap down on the frame will create a lovely groove in the frame from where the angle strikes it.
Fred Mannis

Post by Fred Mannis »

Sorry for the multiple entries. There seems to a problem with the TT reply software
william

Post by william »

Me, too. Sorry for the double entry.
Fred Mannis

Post by Fred Mannis »

william wrote:I shot a 46 for nearly 8 years, probably 20,000 pellets and never wore out a bolt seal. When done shooting, close the action but don't latch it - breechblock lightly resting on frame. The seals aren't compressed and should last nearly forever. The man I sold it to in 2001 still has it, stores it that way and has yet to need replacements.

I agree it is one rugged gun :-). The only reason I replaced the bolt seals is because I got careless and they fell out on the ground :-(
I have the piston seal replacement video and parts, so if I ever have to dismantle the cylinder, I might as well replace the seals.
sciguy191

Post by sciguy191 »

william wrote: The best silicone grease is "high vacuum" and is best liberated in small quantities from a high school chem lab.

Hmmmmmm so that 6 ounce tube of ultra high vacuum grease that has been in my desk at school for the past 20 years might come in handy after all;)

Thanks for the tip.

Hugh