walther ssp standard pistol - ammo feeding (misfeeding)

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
jbshooter

walther ssp standard pistol - ammo feeding (misfeeding)

Post by jbshooter »

Has anyone had this experience with their Walther SSP. The rounds will occassionally not feed in to the chamber but instead will be pushed into the rear of the loading ramp below the chamber. The ammo used is SK Standard Plus and I am using the small nozzle in the damper mechanism. For anyone considering a new standard pistol I can thoroughly recommend the SSP - design and engineering par-excellence.
TB

Wrong loading of magasines??

Post by TB »

The problem might be related to the loading of magasines. When loading a SSP magasine, it is important that the ammo is in "zig zag" in the magasine.
Attachments
The left magasine is loaded correct
The left magasine is loaded correct
The left magasine is loaded incorrect
The left magasine is loaded incorrect
forskelpmagasinbj5.jpg (46.18 KiB) Viewed 3626 times
F. Heinrich

Newer found the Walther SSP attractive

Post by F. Heinrich »

Yes, I know it is german...but
The Walther SSP was,from the very start, a gun to my disliking.
Bad trigger, prone to "full auto" if trigger unadvertedly misadjusted slightly. Hang-ups, misfeeds, uneasy adjustment of sights.
The "new" firingpin/striker construction is a disaster.
TB

SSP trigger

Post by TB »

I have tried the new trigger and it is very good in my opinion.
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

I too have tried the SSP, and was allowed to adjust the trigger, which is also very easy, and after I adjusted the trigger it was wonderful, I have to say it was one of the nicest triggers that I have shot (for reference I have shot GSP's, MG2's, Pardini's, SP20', Ruger's, Sako's, and FWB AW93) some were mine and adjustment to the trigger was to my liking and some were not, so I would not pass judgement on the triggers as I'm sure most could be adjusted to be acceptable (except maybe the Ruger, I hate the Ruger).
Tycho

Post by Tycho »

I think TB is on the right trail there. Had the same problem some years ago with one of my Pardinis, was exactly that - rim of the 1st round went behind the 2nd one's, so instead of going forward and up, it gets slammed downward into the ramp.
jbshooter

Post by jbshooter »

I have had that problem before in my Hammerli 280 in .32S&WL (slide didn't go forward at all). I always make sure the top round of in the Walther sits proud as in TB's photo but the culprit is usually the second round.
JulianY

Re: Wrong loading of magasines??

Post by JulianY »

TB wrote:The problem might be related to the loading of magasines. When loading a SSP magasine, it is important that the ammo is in "zig zag" in the magasine.
TB,

Could I snag those photos for the wiki ?

Julian
JamesH

Post by JamesH »

Izh35M requires the reverse, I first round pointing down.
Otherwise the first round hits the top of the chamber.
Mindstorm

Post by Mindstorm »

The problem you have seen will be resolved by loading the magasine as TB described.

The pictures TB provided was some pictures i took shortly after i bought my ssp, about 2 years ago.
JulianY wrote:TB wrote:
The problem might be related to the loading of magasines. When loading a SSP magasine, it is important that the ammo is in "zig zag" in the magasine.

TB,

Julian
No problem
TB

Re: Wrong loading of magasines??

Post by TB »

JulianY wrote:
TB wrote:The problem might be related to the loading of magasines. When loading a SSP magasine, it is important that the ammo is in "zig zag" in the magasine.
TB,

Julian
I have actually "stolen" the pictures from this thread

http://nordisk-forum.dk/viewtopic.php?t ... alther+ssp

It is in Danish, but translate.google.com can help you on that.

I know the guy who posted the pictures and I don't think he will mind you using them, but I will ask to make sure.

Edit. Did not see that Mindstorm already answered about the pictures, it is his.