New ISSF Pistol Event - 25m Running Target Pistol

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Spencer

New ISSF Pistol Event - 25m Running Target Pistol

Post by Spencer »

Funny thing happened today...

The scene:
- Australian Youth Olympics Festival, shooting at the SISC Range (2000 Olympics)
- Finals for 25m Womens Junior in the Finals Hall
- Finals range set for 25m. I.e. the 25m targets which are otherwise to the left behind the 10m wall were in place in the centre of the range
- the 25m target section is quite heavy (targets, target traps, overhead weather protection. timber backing wall, etc.) all on wheeled frames that has recently been powered and controlled by a remote radio link.

As the Finalists are about to be announced to the firing points...
- the targets 'took off' at a slow walking pace, under power, to park themselves back behind the 10m Finals wall.
- This did not do a lot of good to the power, data, and lighting cables.

However, the potential for a new ISSF events is there!

Spencer

Post by Guest »

"slow walking pace" - Could the Referees keep up ???!!!!
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

Anonymous wrote:"slow walking pace" - Could the Referees keep up ???!!!!
not up to the zimmer frame stage yet
Spencer (pistol jury)
David M

Hummm...........

Post by David M »

Golf has a penalty for hitting a ball in 'motion', I wonder what the penalty is in ISSF pistol shooting, or do we just use NRA Action match mover rules ????????
PaulT

Post by PaulT »

Firstly, this is a wonderful range and superb legacy to the 2000 Olympic Games. The event was very well run and the range crews and organisers implemented a contingency plan within a couple of minutes. This was a bizarre event and well reported by Spencer. The GBR Team had a successful and most enjoyable to the AYOF event - many thanks!

I was wondering how much lead to suggest the athletes allow for the moving target frame :-)
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

Nothing new...

25m Free Rifle Prone Moving Target and 25m Free Rifle Prone Diasppearing Target were events at the 1908 Olympics, London

Spencer
Muffo

Post by Muffo »

A little bit off topic but just a question about the sydney range. I shot there in november in my finall event as a junior. How does the air range pass lighting requirements. It seems to be way to dull, and the target to bright. I couldnt even nearly see my sights. and other people warned me of this before i went up there.
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

Muffo wrote:A little bit off topic but just a question about the sydney range. I shot there in november in my finall event as a junior. How does the air range pass lighting requirements. It seems to be way to dull, and the target to bright. I couldnt even nearly see my sights. and other people warned me of this before i went up there.
The light readings were OK for the 2008 competition; I have not checked it since last year.

One major problem is that too many 10m ranges around the world are 'designed' by architects reading the ISSF rules without asking what the rules mean.
The SISC range is 'technically' an indoor range, but that opaque roof behind the shooters is not in the spirit of an indoor range (6.3.17.1) with artificial lighting. The opaque roof section gives a mixture of artifical light and 'natural' light.
In the daylight hours this mixture of lighting can make the range appear "...dull..." when compared with a properly designed range - it's OK at nightime.

Spencer
F. Heinrich

Nichts neues....

Post by F. Heinrich »

Spencer wrote:Nothing new...

25m Free Rifle Prone Moving Target and 25m Free Rifle Prone Diasppearing Target were events at the 1908 Olympics, London

Spencer
Nothing new...no.
Nichts neues unter der Sonne.

http://www-pu.informatik.uni-tuebingen. ... e/612.html
jacques b gros

Post by jacques b gros »

Australia must be a great place to live and visit...different life stile.

Received today:

Text of a letter from a kid from Eromanga to Mum and Dad.

(For Those of you not in the know, Eromanga is a small town, west of Quilpie in the far south west of Queensland )

Dear Mum & Dad,

I am well. Hope youse are too. Tell me big brothers Doug and Phil that the Army is better than workin' on the farm - tell them to get in bloody quick smart before the jobs are all gone! I wuz a bit slow in settling down at first, because ya don't hafta get outta bed until 6am. But I like sleeping in now, cuz all ya gotta do before brekky is make ya bed and shine ya boots and clean ya uniform. No bloody cows to milk, no calves to feed, no feed to stack - nothin'!! Ya haz gotta shower though, but its not so bad, coz there's lotsa hot water and even a light to see what ya doing!

At brekky ya get cereal, fruit and eggs but there's no kangaroo steaks or possum stew like wot Mum makes. You don't get fed again until noon and by that time all the city boys are buggered because we've been on a 'route march' - geez its only just like walking to the windmill in the back paddock!!

This one will kill me brothers Doug and Phil with laughter. I keep getting medals for shootin' - dunno why. The bullseye is as big as a bloody possum's bum and it don't move and it's not firing back at ya like the Johnsons did when our big scrubber bull got into their prize cows before the Ekka last year! All ya gotta do is make yourself comfortable and hit the target - it's a piece of piss!! You don't even load your own cartridges, they comes in little boxes, and ya don't have to steady yourself against the rollbar of the roo shooting truck when you reload!

Sometimes ya gotta wrestle with the city boys and I gotta be real careful coz they break easy - it's not like fighting with Doug and Phil and Jack and Boori and Steve and Muzza all at once like we do at home after the muster.
Turns out I'm not a bad boxer either and it looks like I'm the best the platoon's got, and I've only been beaten by this one bloke from the Engineers - he's 6 foot 5 and 15 stone and three pick handles across the shoulders and as ya know I'm only 5 foot 7 and eight stone wringin' wet, but I fought him till the other blokes carried me off to the boozer.

I can't complain about the Army - tell the boys to get in quick before word gets around how bloody good it is.

Your loving daughter,

Sheila
Muffo

Post by Muffo »

Spencer wrote:
Muffo wrote:A little bit off topic but just a question about the sydney range. I shot there in november in my finall event as a junior. How does the air range pass lighting requirements. It seems to be way to dull, and the target to bright. I couldnt even nearly see my sights. and other people warned me of this before i went up there.
The light readings were OK for the 2008 competition; I have not checked it since last year.

One major problem is that too many 10m ranges around the world are 'designed' by architects reading the ISSF rules without asking what the rules mean.
The SISC range is 'technically' an indoor range, but that opaque roof behind the shooters is not in the spirit of an indoor range (6.3.17.1) with artificial lighting. The opaque roof section gives a mixture of artifical light and 'natural' light.
In the daylight hours this mixture of lighting can make the range appear "...dull..." when compared with a properly designed range - it's OK at nightime.

Spencer
I figured the light reading would pass as the light was the same for the olympics because I shoot with a guy who shot there but it seems to be common knowledge amoung the people who have shot there that the air range is very hard to see the sights.especislly if your eye sight isnt quiet perfect. the out door ranges on the other hand are brilliant. Pitty I didnt get to shoot at night
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

actually a bit brighter at the target (was +1000lux in 2000, now +1500lux) and probably a bit lower on the overall range lighting as the fluoros lose light output with time. The target lights were all up-rated a few years back.

Spencer
Muffo

Post by Muffo »

Im now getting a new lense made to try and help cos u cant shoot if you cant see your sights
FredB

Post by FredB »

Jacques,

I hope out Australian friends were not offended by any perceived "type-casting" in your letter, but I got a really big laugh from it.

Thanks!
FredB

jacques b gros wrote:Australia must be a great place to live and visit...different life stile.

Received today:

Text of a letter from a kid from Eromanga to Mum and Dad.

(For Those of you not in the know, Eromanga is a small town, west of Quilpie in the far south west of Queensland )

Dear Mum & Dad,

I am well. Hope youse are too. Tell me big brothers Doug and Phil that the Army is better than workin' on the farm - tell them to get in bloody quick smart before the jobs are all gone! I wuz a bit slow in settling down at first, because ya don't hafta get outta bed until 6am. But I like sleeping in now, cuz all ya gotta do before brekky is make ya bed and shine ya boots and clean ya uniform. No bloody cows to milk, no calves to feed, no feed to stack - nothin'!! Ya haz gotta shower though, but its not so bad, coz there's lotsa hot water and even a light to see what ya doing!

At brekky ya get cereal, fruit and eggs but there's no kangaroo steaks or possum stew like wot Mum makes. You don't get fed again until noon and by that time all the city boys are buggered because we've been on a 'route march' - geez its only just like walking to the windmill in the back paddock!!

This one will kill me brothers Doug and Phil with laughter. I keep getting medals for shootin' - dunno why. The bullseye is as big as a bloody possum's bum and it don't move and it's not firing back at ya like the Johnsons did when our big scrubber bull got into their prize cows before the Ekka last year! All ya gotta do is make yourself comfortable and hit the target - it's a piece of piss!! You don't even load your own cartridges, they comes in little boxes, and ya don't have to steady yourself against the rollbar of the roo shooting truck when you reload!

Sometimes ya gotta wrestle with the city boys and I gotta be real careful coz they break easy - it's not like fighting with Doug and Phil and Jack and Boori and Steve and Muzza all at once like we do at home after the muster.
Turns out I'm not a bad boxer either and it looks like I'm the best the platoon's got, and I've only been beaten by this one bloke from the Engineers - he's 6 foot 5 and 15 stone and three pick handles across the shoulders and as ya know I'm only 5 foot 7 and eight stone wringin' wet, but I fought him till the other blokes carried me off to the boozer.

I can't complain about the Army - tell the boys to get in quick before word gets around how bloody good it is.

Your loving daughter,

Sheila
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

FredB wrote:Jacques,

I hope out Australian friends were not offended by any perceived "type-casting" in your letter, but I got a really big laugh from it.

Thanks!
FredB
the first time I read this was back in the 1950's and it was about a Kentucky family (what goeas around, comes around).
but dont start any sheep jokes - the Kiwis have NO sense of humour

Spencer
JulianY

Post by JulianY »

Spencer wrote:
the first time I read this was back in the 1950's and it was about a Kentucky family (what goeas around, comes around).

Spencer
Ah! one of those countries where Velcro is considered a sex aid!
j-team

Post by j-team »

JulianY wrote:
Spencer wrote:

Spencer
Ah! one of those countries where Velcro is considered a sex aid!
Only in the South Island.
jacques b gros

Post by jacques b gros »

someone said that there are no new jokes in the world, just new dresses for old frames...

And I do think the NZed people do have a sense of humor. People that have some 80 million sheep hanging around do need a sense of humor.

Some 30 years ago I was seating in a beach bar with a dutch, one Norwegian, one kiwy and one pole, and they were trying to figure how many trucks of beer they've drunk. Then the kiwy said something about sheep, and how much dung they produced per day.

Something like this: 80 mi at 5% of weight (lets say 40kg) is 160,000 metric tons per day. Then someone wanted to know how many square km NZ had. I left the place at that point...
jacques b gros

Post by jacques b gros »

someone said that there are no new jokes in the world, just new dresses for old frames...

And I do think the NZed people do have a sense of humor. People that have some 80 million sheep hanging around do need a sense of humor.

Some 30 years ago I was seating in a beach bar with a dutch, one Norwegian, one kiwy and one pole, and they were trying to figure how many trucks of beer they've drunk. Then the kiwy said something about sheep, and how much dung they produced per day.

Something like this: 80 mi at 5% of weight (lets say 40kg) is 160,000 metric tons per day. Then someone wanted to know how many square km NZ had. I left the place at that point...
jacques b gros

Post by jacques b gros »