Break in period for new Pardini Sp?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Nohman

Break in period for new Pardini Sp?

Post by Nohman »

Just received my new Pardini SP from Larry, and while I spin my wheels waiting to go to the range tomorrow night to start shooting, a question: is there anything special I should or could do to "break it in right?" The manual is rather sparse in its direction, or the lack thereof. Obviously, just going and shooting, and keeping it clean afterward according manufacture specifications is plenty of loving care, but I thought I would put the question out there for those who have experience with these guns.

In addition, even it isn't advice directly related to maintenance, I would welcome any additional commentary on this gen of Pardini, lessons learned, etc. I am new to the gun, having been shooting a Walthers GSP exclusively since I got into Standard Pistol. One of the troubles with this sport is how isolated many of its shooters are from one another, geographically and socially.

Thanks for your time and thoughts. Keep shooting.

Post by Guest »

1 Clean barrel and magazines of any crud, machinings, etc.
2 Load
3 Fire
j-team

Post by j-team »

I am on my second Pardini SP (first one in 1999, then new one in 2005) and didn't do anything special with either of them. Just run a dry patch through the barrel to remove any oil from the factory and shoot it. They don't need exessive cleaning I would easily fire 1000 plus rounds between cleaning. When I clean i just take out the barrel and slide, wipe them with a rag put a light wipe of oil on the barrel where the front of the slide runs and the back of the slide where it runs between the two horizontal pins in the back of the frame. Put a soft brush through the barrel while your at it if you feel so inclined.

As guest says, the mags can sometimes get a build up of bulet lube down the front. To clean that I just hold down the follower and wipe it out using a cleaning rod and a bit of rag.

Both of the SPs that I've had performed flawlessly. Did break a firing pin in the first one after about 4 years of heavy use. I would recommend keeping a spare firing pin and extractor (not that I've ever had a problem with the extractor).

I've alway used good ammo too (Lapua). I think that helps.
Mike Taylor

Ammo

Post by Mike Taylor »

Some SP owners, myself included, have found CCI standard velocity, to be unreliable in feeding - rounds are too long and hang up in the magazine.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

I have a recent SP New, and it seems to like CCI just fine. My wife's older SP does not. The problem is not so much that the bullet is longer, but that the moderately hard wax lube they use appears to be allowed to dry with the bullets down. As a result, there is a blob of wax on the end of every round. If you wipe that off on a coarse cloth, they work fine in the older SP, but it's a pain in the neck. Eley Sport seems to work fine in the older pistol, as does Aguila subsonic.