chronographs

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

neil

chronographs

Post by neil »

I'd like to do some velocity checks on a match 177 air rilfe/pistol & a target 22 rifle. Anyone have a recomendation on a good inexpensive chronograph? Also, are they really accurate or do they vary in their readings? I've never used any, so I'm a newbie to this...
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

Those features sometimes don't go together.

Good chronys are very accurate when set up and used properly, but some might consider them expensive ($150-$300 range). Really cheap ones might not be so accurate, they got save the money somewhere.
Muffo

Post by Muffo »

If you buy a good chrony without all the attachments you shouldnt go wrong
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

Unless you get a infra red sensor chrono, be aware that the others do not like (as is don't work) under flouro lights.

Spencer
peepsight

Post by peepsight »

Look at Skan chronographs.

skanar.co.uk
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

We have a few Shooting Chrony's at the club, they work great, I have one with all the bells annd wistles and I love it.

http://www.shootingchrony.com/
JulianY

Post by JulianY »

Richard H wrote:We have a few Shooting Chrony's at the club, they work great, I have one with all the bells annd wistles and I love it.

http://www.shootingchrony.com/
I have one of these works fore me

J
Ken O

Post by Ken O »

The Shooting Chronys are inexpensive and work very well, I have had several over the years. Also, their customer service it great! (that the reason I have had several).

That said, I now use a CED with the Infra-Red screens. It allows me to chrony all lighing conditions, IE at dusk, and I have a cover so I can chrony when its raining out from my garage.
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

+1 on their customer service, I ordered mine at about 9am at 3:30 Pm there was a knock on my door, it was the courier with my new chrony, and I paid standard shipping.
Ken O

Post by Ken O »

Richard H wrote:+1 on their customer service, I ordered mine at about 9am at 3:30 Pm there was a knock on my door, it was the courier with my new chrony, and I paid standard shipping.
I hit mine with a 6.5 SMK 240gr bullet doing 2800 FPS. The Chrony exploded! On their website it say they can fix it if you hit one, so I called and said mine took a pretty good hit. The lady said to send it in and they will let me know.

So, I swept what I could find into a box, it was well scattered, in fact a piece took out a front window of my house not far away. I'm thinking this will be real funny when they open it. I sent it in.

A few days later I gets a call from them, I'm expecting to hear "are you nuts!", but the lady says they can fix it, but it will cost $35. I gave my CC number, and a few days later I had a brand new in the box Chrony.

Moral of the story: If (more like WHEN) you hit one, send it in, don't throw it in the trash.