Postal Air rifle matches

Hints and how to’s for coaches and junior shooters of all categories

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963

22long64

Postal Air rifle matches

Post by 22long64 »

I am one of two coaches for a younger 4-H rifle club. I am looking for more experience for our shooters. Is there a good place to keep up to date on postal matches that are going on. We are not JROTC and that takes away some of the postals I have found.
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

American Legion
USAMU
NRA postals

All of these are available for 4-H (yes, even the USAMU)

I think one of the best postals is the American Legion. There are two postal qualifier rounds .... preliminary (State Comp) and then the National qualifier. If the kids shoot in the top 15 in the 2nd round, the American Legion pays the way for them and the coach to Colorado Springs.

It's probably too late to enter this now as the first set of targets are due into the AL on Feb 2 I believe ... but the USAMU match can still be entered
Dennis Urban

Post by Dennis Urban »

Is USAMU the same as the US Army Junior Open?
22long64

Post by 22long64 »

Yes, I have printed off the progrqam from the ODCMP web site. I am going to get our kids involved with this postal.
barry.brewer

Army Junior National Championship

Post by barry.brewer »

The match is good entry experience and will allow you shooters to get some experience with the Kruger Electronically scored targets.

Our club really enjoyed this match when it was run by the National Guard and our team received first class treatment at the nationals.

Since the Army recruiting command has taken over there where some questionable invitations (not in accordance with the Match Bulletin) given out to the nationals with some very low scoring teams getting invitations including the 44th place team getting an invitation versus much better qualified teams. I can't tell you if the problem was incompetence or some back room deal but I can tell you that neither CMP nor Army Recruiting Command could provide a satisfactory answer. In addition, our shooters never received their awards. The bottom line, we have dropped this match from our schedule