MG4

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Reinhamre

MG4

Post by Reinhamre »

Feedback on the MG4 anyone?
There is no waiting list here anymore; the pistol is on the shelf.
Is the demand low or is it just that you hesitate (like me) :-)

I do not have the MG2 but a Morini 102E as a paper weight :-(

Kent
julioalperi

My new MG4

Post by julioalperi »

Well, it´s too soon to say something about my new MG4 yet, but if you can´t wait there it goes: only one box of Fiocchi through it and so far I find it excellent in everyway. I prefer my MG2´s trigger though (far easier to adjust).
Julio
Last edited by julioalperi on Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TB

Article in Spanish

Post by TB »

Here is an article about the MG4. It is in spanish so I have no idea what they are saying, but it seems to be rather in depth. Sadly it is scanned pictures and not text, so it can not be translated in google:-(

But for the Spanish speeking, here it is: http://www.matchguns.com/downloads/pdf/ ... UN_MG4.pdf
Reinhamre

Post by Reinhamre »

Thank you, this is the very helpful. He has not been shooting the pisol though.
F. Heinrich

Re: MG4

Post by F. Heinrich »

Reinhamre wrote:Feedback on the MG4 anyone?
There is no waiting list here anymore; the pistol is on the shelf.

I do not have the MG2 but a Morini 102E as a paper weight :-(

Kent
You already have one paper weight. Do you need another paper weight, Kent? :-)

BTW, the MG4 could prove to be a marvel of a gun. Someone ought to give it a try. And post an in depth test report here.
j-team

Post by j-team »

Reinhamre wrote:There is no waiting list here anymore; the pistol is on the shelf.

Kent
The demand will be low. Not because it's an MG, but because it's an ISSF Centre Fire pistol. I doubt that any of the manufacturers are selling huge numbers of them. If I was in the business of manufacturing and selling ISSF pistols I would stick to Air Pistols and Standard Pistols. It would be hard work just recovering your development cost on Centre Fire and Free Pistols I suspect.
jipe

Post by jipe »

j-team wrote:
Reinhamre wrote:There is no waiting list here anymore; the pistol is on the shelf.

Kent
The demand will be low. Not because it's an MG, but because it's an ISSF Centre Fire pistol. I doubt that any of the manufacturers are selling huge numbers of them. If I was in the business of manufacturing and selling ISSF pistols I would stick to Air Pistols and Standard Pistols. It would be hard work just recovering your development cost on Centre Fire and Free Pistols I suspect.
I completely agree with you: the development of a centre fire ISSF pistol is complex and the quantities are low => very difficult to make a profitable business.

And now after the change of trigger weight, we can wonder what is the future of centre fire (I suppose that the trigger weight of the MG4 can be adjusted to 1000g even if the pistol was developed at a time when it was 1360g) knowing also that at club, regional and national levels, in several European countries, men shoot .22lr like women and not centre fire. BTW, I always wondered about this difference and why women cannot shoot 50m free pistol or RF ?

For free pistol, sold quantities are also small but the pistol is I think easier to develop => may be a better business case ?
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

I don't think changing the trigger weight by 360 grams would have a big effect on the development of a pistol. If anything having the triggers same as the .22 should reduce an future development and reduce the cost as the trigger (economies of scale - more of the same parts should be cheaper).

It's really no more complex to develop a CF then it is a .22. The CF markets are smaller hence they develop and market the 22 first as to pay for the minor tweaks to the design that are required for the CF.

Rumour has it Walther is working on a CF mate to the SSP>

I really don't think this is as big a deal as some are making of it either. If they, the ISSF, wanted to drop it they would. If anyone hasn't noticed they really don't care about the grass roots of the sport they are focused solely on the elite and would destroy the sport for the rest to meet their ends.
j-team

Post by j-team »

Richard H wrote:If anyone hasn't noticed they really don't care about the grass roots of the sport they are focused solely on the elite and would destroy the sport for the rest to meet their ends.
Sadly, that is very true.
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

How so?

Spencer
j-team

Post by j-team »

Spencer wrote:How so?

Spencer
A rule book that is now 10x thicker than when I started shooting (1986). with rules like:

-The size of the blinder

-The length of your shorts

-The logo allowed on your cap

shall I go on?
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

j-team wrote:
Spencer wrote:How so?

Spencer
A rule book that is now 10x thicker than when I started shooting (1986). with rules like:

-The size of the blinder

-The length of your shorts

-The logo allowed on your cap

shall I go on?
And the effect on the grass-roots shooter at club level????
Spencer
higginsdj

Post by higginsdj »

Competitive sports have rules - I see no more rules for pistol than there are for other sports. I just pulled out my old FITA Archery rulebook from 20 years ago (for one discipline only) and it's about the same size as the current ISSF rulebook.

Cheers

David

PS I just finished participating (non shooter) in my first Pistol Championships. I found it was a relaxed and enjoyable event (ACT Championships) and I can't wait to compete myself - with all the rules :)
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

Spencer I don't know how much rifle shooting you do but everytime the ISSF either threatens to or actually change the rifle equipment some leave the the sport. It also dries up the supply of affordable used gear for people to start off with, all this because of changing such things as jacket thickness by a couple of millimeters.

Then there is the new inner tens rule that will be difficult to be implemented at some local comps.

This has really gone of topic, maybe we should start a new thread.

Here's a question what has the ISSF did to prompt shooting at a grass roots level?
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

higginsdj wrote:Competitive sports have rules - I see no more rules for pistol than there are for other sports. I just pulled out my old FITA Archery rulebook from 20 years ago (for one discipline only) and it's about the same size as the current ISSF rulebook.

Cheers

David

PS I just finished participating (non shooter) in my first Pistol Championships. I found it was a relaxed and enjoyable event (ACT Championships) and I can't wait to compete myself - with all the rules :)
It's not the number of rules it's the number of changes, and of those that have a great cost yet a limited effect (if any).
j-team

Post by j-team »

Spencer wrote: And the effect on the grass-roots shooter at club level????
Spencer
We are getting way off the MG4 here, so I'll keep it brief.

A club level shooter decides to broaden his horizons and attend a regional/state/national championships. When he gets there someone (maybe in a green jacket?) tells him, you can't wear those shoes, those glasses will have to be modified etc. He goes way feeling like they didn't want him there and tells the other members of his small club what happened. They decied it's more fun just shooting amoungst themselves.
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

j-team wrote:...We are getting way off the MG4 here, so I'll keep it brief.
I have started a new thread in the Shooters' Lounge

Spencer
MG2-owner

Post by MG2-owner »

j-team wrote:
Yes. you are right. From a starting point, we have to appreciate MGs efforts to bring out a novel .32 S&W auto for the ISSF game.
Let us hope MG have learned their lesson, and performed sufficient testing of the pistol prior to the release to the market.
Let us hope the MG4 will earn, an deserve, a better reputation than the MG2.

The MG2-importer have just sent my now reputed MG2 back to me after the third rebuild, he told me. I will test it on the range as soon as it arrives at my adress.

If my MG2 works ok after the last rebuild, I will tell you so. I promise.
If if does not work ok, then I will inform you too. I promise.
julioalperi

My MG4

Post by julioalperi »

Last edited by julioalperi on Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

Can only speak about my own country (with a significant number of ISSF style pistol shooters though). Here, Morini Guns are not taken serious anymore as a viable choice for *anything*.

They have worked very hard and diligently over years to build up a thoroughly bad reputation, and they have deservedly achieved it now. This renown will not be so easily diluted :-).

Alexaner