matchguns MG2 and MG4

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
herman

matchguns MG2 and MG4

Post by herman »

goodday

i am buying a MG2 as there are no dealers in Holland i ask my local gunshop to get it. i now that not every body is happy with the MG2 but the
technical aspect of the gun is very intresting to me (i am a nautical engineer)

i am also thinking of getting a MG4 does somebody already have some experince with this gun. technical it looks te same as the MG2 and acc to karlslundesport web site it is pretty accurate

http://www.karlslundesport.dk/default.a ... nu&Item=74

Rgds
Herman

sorry for the bad english
gunnery

Post by gunnery »

Hey Herman,
zelf ben ik heel tevreden over mijn Mg2 en heb hem bij http://users.skynet.be/worldclass/index.htm besteld.
review vind je hier:
http://wapenforum.dyndns.org/guns/viewtopic.php?t=10045
herman

Post by herman »

goodday

i was also wondering if there are some people how changed the MG2 in to a rapid fire with the conversion set.

and if so, is this only done for rapid fire matches and changed back to a normal MG 2 or is it left in rapid fire condition and why
does this function oke or does this conversion still has hickups

i have only shot 2 rapid fire matches in the 9 year i am shooting zo i do not think it is wise to invest in a rapid fire model.

rgds
Herman

ps ik haal die van via Slendebroek in Beilen
RJP

MG2-RF

Post by RJP »

About 4 months ago, I bought an MG2 standard version. I also ordered the RF kit in Ergal separately.

To install the RF kit:

1. remove the barrel from the gun.
2. remove the front sight from the barrel.
3. remove the set screw that was hidden by the front sight.
4. remove the counter weight by bracing the counter weight and place a block of soft wood over the muzzel and tap lightly with a hammer.
5. insert the barrel in the new RF counter weight, making sure to align the extractor grove properly and tap the barrel in with hammer and wood block. replace the set screw, replace the front sight.
6. replace the slide with the new light weight slide.
7 replace the barrel in the gun.

My RF counter weight has 6 cover screws on the front. The top 4 are for spring loaded buffers for the slide. The bottom 2 are empty chambers.

I felt that the front was a bit too light, so I placed 2 bullets of .30 caliber in the empty chambers. With a little fitting I have no movement of the bullets in the chambers. This added about 45 grams to the muzzel, which I feel is about the right amount. There is a steel RF counter weight, but other people have said that it adds too much weight.

My MG2 has almost no muzzel climb now. It feels like a .22 short pistol. I like the RF conversion so much that I just leave it in place and I have not converted back to standard version.

As for reliability, I have previously reported that my gun (serial number 22XX) had 4 jambs during the first 500 rounds. Since that initial break-in period, I have shot more than 3000 rounds and I have not had a single malfuntion of any kind. I shoot SK Pistol Match ammunition.
herman

Post by herman »

i have ask my local gun shop to order the MG2 and MG4

is it wise to also order some spare parts with the gun
like tube magazine's (they are plastic)

Rgds
Herman
ausdiver99

Post by ausdiver99 »

The only part that has broken on my MG2 in 4 years has been the bullet positioning lever. This can crack if cartridge jams in the breech area are not carefully cleared in accordance with the manual. Around Serial #1300 they changed the design slightly and I think this fixed the problem - but you still need to be careful when clearing jams! My plastic magazines are still fine, at least I dont have to worry about bent lips if they are dropped!

Post by Guest »

i just had a talk with my gun shop owner and with a bit of luck my MG2 will be in my hands and on the gun range with in 2 weeks

i was still wondering
are there persons that had any problems with the new MG2's or due they still have problems with bullet feeds

Rgds

herman

Post by Guest »

Anonymous wrote:i just had a talk with my gun shop owner and with a bit of luck my MG2 will be in my hands and on the gun range with in 2 weeks

i was still wondering
are there persons that had any problems with the new MG2's, due they still have problems with bullet feeds

Rgds

herman
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

The newer ones don't seem to have feeding or extraction problems.Mine has been updated, and it has been faultless for several thousand rounds.
herman

Post by herman »

i also ordered a MG4 with my MG2 but this has a delivery time of two months
ik heard from matchguns that they are just start making them and that there is a back log of orders, dus someone already own one
and how does it work problem free of are there some small or major problems.

as the gun is almost identical as the MG2 i asume that they learned there lesson and they don't have the same startup problems as the MG2

Rgds
Herman
gunnery

Post by gunnery »

Vergeet niet dat het mogelijk is om een handgreep op maat te laten
maken ipv een confectiegreep.
herman

Post by herman »

when you order an matchgun gun you can send with the order a questenier downloaded from there site.
with this data they wil decide what size grip you need and in needed will modifie the grip a little without extra charge

rgds
hermam
herman

received the serial nr's

Post by herman »

a couple day ago my gunshop owner received the serial nr of the guns

Mg2 31**
Mg4 10**

at what nr did they start, 1000 or lower and from witch serial number are
the matchguns mg2 trouble free

herman
Ulmo

Re: received the serial nr's

Post by Ulmo »

herman wrote:a couple day ago my gunshop owner received the serial nr of the guns

Mg2 31**
Mg4 10**

at what nr did they start, 1000 or lower and from witch serial number are
the matchguns mg2 trouble free
The MG2 serialnumbers started at 1000, and from your dealers info, MG4 numbering starts at 1000, too.

I was told the MG2 numbering "jumped" 1000 at every design change of major parts, and jumped 100 at minor design changes. (there have been at least two major design changes, and more minor changes).

So the present batch av MG2s are in the second houndred since last design change.

Btw, "good day" to you all.... :-)
nvalcik

MG2

Post by nvalcik »

I just shot my MG2 that I got for X-mas and I had no malfunctions except one round where the .22LR bullet itself was slighlty bent upward (bad round from the manufacturer). I was using Winchester T-22 and shot around 200 rounds yesterday. Recoil was light and that was without the additional side plate weights on the gun since I felt that it was too nose heavy with them on the pistol.

It does take time to get used to the magazine system, but the pistol shot really well with cheap target ammo and the sights were a dream. The grips fit my hand well and the only complaint so far is the bolt hold open lever is a little hard to get into position to hold the slide open.
landb

Post by landb »

RJP
if you dont mind what did you pay for the rapid fire kit? I made a comp. for my MG2 just to see if I could get any of the muzzle lift out, not that there is alot to begin with.
nvalcik

RE: MG2 vs MG4

Post by nvalcik »

I managed to go and practice again today and ran around another 200 rounds through my MG2 with no malfunctions. Accuracy was outstanding and this time I used both CCI Green tag and Eley Tenex. I really liked the way it shot with the CCI Green tag. I will say this, it does take time to get used to the tubular feed magazine system, but it is definitely not insurmountable.
julioalperi

MG4

Post by julioalperi »

My MG4 finally arrived yesterday. It is s/n CF1066. I will let you know in a near future.
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

it does take time to get used to the tubular feed magazine system, but it is definitely not insurmountable

There is a transition period from conventional to MG2 magazines...but I now prefer to use the Matchgun setup...in fact, I prefer it considerably more.
julioalperi

Loading the MG2-4 magazine

Post by julioalperi »

Me too.