Setup Rika for 4 meter range

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

hardhit

Setup Rika for 4 meter range

Post by hardhit »

Hello All,

I received a Rika trainer and I'm using this to train in my garage.
How do I setup the rika system for usage at 4 meters?

If I use it out of the box then the minute deviation is far off target.

Regards,
Peter
Ed Hall

Post by Ed Hall »

I'm not sure I'm understanding what you're asking, but if the shots are registering, you should be abe to do the rough calibration on the controller by pressing Mode>OK to choose "Calibrate Target" and then firing one shot. The upper right character in the display should change from a spinning set of characters (while aiming at the target) to a "1" when the shot is fired. You can now press OK and you should be closer for the sighting series in the software.

If it isn't registering that close in, you might consider using a mirror on the distant wall with the sending unit beside you to increase the distance. I had a similar setup for quite some time in a smaller room, for pistol. I mounted the sending unit to the bottom of a shelf beside my position and a mirror on the opposite wall.

Take Care,
Ed Hall
Air Force Shooting Homepage
Bullseye (and International) Competition Things
hardhit

Post by hardhit »

Hello Ed,

First of all my best wishes to all who read this.

The shots are registering but when I calibrate the rika then the shots are showing. However when you start shooting your series then for example with the smallest cant the result showing on the rika as a 2.

In reality this would be at least a 9 in real fire.

Do you need to set the rike for 4 meter on the target definition?

Regards,
Peter
Ed Hall

Post by Ed Hall »

Hi Peter,

Happy New Year to you!

The Rika will translate the distance automatically. If it is registering hits, it is working fine.

Cant is a real issue, since it is backward to reality and much too gross in its effect. The reason for these two problems is the placement of the receiver relative to the sight line.

In free space, as you cant while maintaining sight alignment and picture, the receiver is actually describing an arc centered about the sight line. This means that physically, the receiver will move a relatively large distance compared to the amount of cant. It will also physically move the receiver in the opposite direction from real world cant effects. In real life, a CCW cant will produce shots to the left and down, while the Rika will show right and up. This is due to the receiver finding itself right and up in free space compared to where it was located when the cant was zero.

I know of no way to work around this. You might be able to minimize the effect by moving further away from the transmitter or finding a method of mounting the receiver closer to the sight line. Somewhere in the back of my mind, I seem to recall a setting for telling the Rika sofware how far the receiver was from the bore, but I can't seem to find anything like that now. I'll have to research that further and get back to you, if I do find it. I don't know whether that would have any effect, but it might, if it exists and isn't just something I saw somewhere else and related it to the Rika in my memory.

Sorry I wasn't more helpful.

Take Care,
Ed Hall
hardhit

Post by hardhit »

Hello Ed,

could it be that in the setup for the target you set the range to the actual distance to the receiver?

If I set the distance to 4 meter then everything seems to work OK.
Ed Hall

Post by Ed Hall »

Hi Peter,

If you've set it and it seems OK, then you must have figured it out. I don't recall ever setting the distance - I thought it was calculating that automatically. If you're working now, great!

BTW, I'm not sure how much interest it may be for rifle, but I have a page on "Trigger Training with the Rika" at the following address:

http://www.starreloaders.com/edhall/rik ... rwork.html

I use it for Pistol, but let me know if it has any value for rifle, if you check it out.

Let me know if any other issues arise.

Take Care,
Ed Hall
hardhit

Post by hardhit »

Hi Ed,

This type of exercise I'm was already doing on each live fire training session. I'm shooting about 15 shots onto blank targets just concentrating on trigger control.

I will setup this to also work on the Rika. Thanks for the link.

Best regards,