Cleaning the rapid fire pistol

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
John Kasaian

Cleaning the rapid fire pistol

Post by John Kasaian »

I was wondering how the shooters here went about cleaning .22 lr rapid fire pistols--how often and how "aggressive" do you clean the bore? The ammunition I'm testing---RWS Rifle Target, SK Standard Plus, and CCI Standard Velocity all appear to be heavily lubricated with a dark waxy substance. Don Nygord's Notes on cleaning suggest using a crimped length of weed eater filament as a pull through instead of a rod. Is that appropriate for rapid fire pistols? I assume he'd be relying on a solvent to remove the bullet lube rather than a brush?
Is the ubiquitous phosphor bronze brush safe to use? Are nylon bristles better?

I've always wanted to give rapid fire a try, but the .22 short pistols were beyond my budget. Now that .22lr is the rule I'd like to use my old S&W 41 pistol on the five targets (I know that most wouldn't consider it competitive along side specially built pistols, but I am more interested in developing my own skills with the pistol I have on hand than competition.)
Thanks!
R.M.

Post by R.M. »

There's no reason why you can't start into RF with a 41. Will you be competitive with it, no, but not because of your equipment, because it takes many years of shooting RF to get to the top of the heap.
Take what you have, give it a go, and have fun. Rapid Fire is a hoot.
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

how "aggressive" do you clean the bore?
It makes me shiver to read such words. With a self lubricating .22 it is unecessary to clean the bore, [ except for pushing a soft patch through it occassionally ] in fact the most accuracy usually comes from leaving it alone. Cleaning everything else however is extremely important for all the moving parts [ including magazine ] and esp. the breach...but the bore itself will be almost impossible to wear out...unless you start sticking rough things down it and moving them backwards and forwards vigorously
John Kasaian

Post by John Kasaian »

deadeyedick wrote:
how "aggressive" do you clean the bore?
It makes me shiver to read such words. With a self lubricating .22 it is unecessary to clean the bore, [ except for pushing a soft patch through it occassionally ] in fact the most accuracy usually comes from leaving it alone. Cleaning everything else however is extremely important for all the moving parts [ including magazine ] and esp. the breach...but the bore itself will be almost impossible to wear out...unless you start sticking rough things down it and moving them backwards and forwards vigorously
Thanks deadeyedick!
Do you recommend using a traditional rod and jag to run the patches, or a pull through?
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

A rod with patch should be adequate, gently pushed through several times. If the pistol is not being used for sometime, then a little oil on the patch is sensible....making sure to put a clean patch through before using in the future. Good luck John.