Response to JackS On thinking

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

2650 Plus

Response to JackS On thinking

Post by 2650 Plus »

Jack, Ed Hall has posted some very solid thoughts on this subject. I may differ from him but the difference is probably just in degree. Visuallize your shot sequence, trying to use exactly the same rythem as used to deliver the shot. I'm not telling you to think in thoughts but in the feel of your muscles as you start the finger moving and what you want to see as you focus your vision and mind on perfecting sight allignment. Set your goal to be still concentrating on perfecting sight allignment after the pistol has fired. If you were a computer ,I would suggest a core dump of every thought except settle to stillness, finger move , allign sights.. One more thought not involved in shot delivery but in preparation. Eliminate every negative concept from your shot seguence even including things like " I have to be careful bcause I have a good target going " Just shoot the dam ten. Confidence in your sequence is a very important element in how you perform in competition. Good Shooting Bill Horton
jackh

Post by jackh »

My technique is not very refined. Lack of learning and relearning due to time restraints, like work and family commitments get in the way. So does age and physical condition. Trying to find and maintain a technique that works is often in the mind and interfering with a refined shot process. I would like to say I simply don't practice enough. I don't, as above, but that is only part of the situation. At what age do you think a pistol shooters potential is topped out?
2650 Plus

For Jack H

Post by 2650 Plus »

I consider three points as the most critical. The first is when the eyes began to go. Second is when tremors start and the third is when you know it all and don't have anything more to learn. Unfortunatly I have about reached all three at 75 years of age. Good shooting for many more years . Bill Horton
David Levene

Re: For Jack H

Post by David Levene »

2650 Plus wrote:....and the third is when you know it all and don't have anything more to learn. Unfortunatly I have about reached all three at 75 years of age.
There's always something more to learn, even if it's only that things you thought were true are in fact wrong.
bryan

Post by bryan »

should keep you busy a few more years.
Last edited by bryan on Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Freepistol

Post by Freepistol »

This brings to mind a friend of mine who improved greatly shooting outdoor smallbore prone. One thing he had was a butt plate that was moved way high so that the shoulder was actually pushing down on the stock. George and Mary Stidworthy looked at it and George said, "is he shooting well because of it, or in spite of it."

I always remember that when I make a change. Is the change making me pay more attention to an area where I was lacking or is the change actually an improvement.

Ben

{I should add that to the quote thread}
2650 Plus

Jack H thinking

Post by 2650 Plus »

I started at a slightly advanced place on thinking. Its really not what I've learned but what I have forgotten that I woult like to touch on. Some time ago I mentioned that Herchel Anderson took a month off to remove every negative concept from his shooting sequence just before he shot his first 2680 fo the national record. That includes every thought that does not relate directly to shooting the next shot or string.Maybe thats the place for the empty mind the bow shooters talk about. I eventially found that I was not learning much that was new but remembering things I had learned earlier but had forgotten. About visuallation . Lanny Basham told me once that the more perfectly the shooter can visualize his / her shot sequence the greater efect it will have on the shooting performance. I added two additional concepts. The first was " the more often the shooter makes a perfect visuallation the greater the influence on delivering a perfect shot occurres. And the last is that the closer in time to the shot delivery the visuallation occures there is a greater effect on delivering the shot. Next , please consider that the simpler the shot sequence becomes the easier it is to conduct a perfect visualation. So I believe that simplification is also an essential step in improvine a shooters performance. Lanny also stressed something he refered to as THE ULTIMATE YOU. That is every shot should be modeled after the best shot you have ever made and this should be done on the next shot and infinatium [ Forever] until another platoe is reached and the process continues. Good Shooting Jack Bill Horton
tomnfamily

Bill McMillan on the four most important things

Post by tomnfamily »

In "The Pistol Shooter's Treasury", Bill McMillan stated, "There are only four things needed to make a good pistol shot in my opinion. They are the desire to win, proper training, a little natural talent and a good target pistol."

I have been shooting for many years and wondered why I haven't been improving as I would expect of myself. I have a little natural talent, a good target pistol, and have received quality training. I realized that I did not have an inherent desire to win. Winning brings attention, and develops a reputation. Winning puts additional pressure on us. When I read this, I realized I had three out of four. It is up to me to supply the fourth. Having someone state the obvious brought a glaring flaw in my methods to the forefront. Now, I visualize with a purpose of excellence in every shot, knowing that a perfect score starts with a first 10, and the only round that matters is the one in the chamber. I look forward to becoming a more excellent shooter.

See you on the line,

Tom W.