Federations shooting ISSF 5 Shot AP?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
IPshooter

Federations shooting ISSF 5 Shot AP?

Post by IPshooter »

I know we talked about this several years ago, but I'm wondering if things might have changed since then. What federations are now shooting ISSF 5 Shot AP per the current rules?

TIA

Stan
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

Stan,

might be more that are not..

Australia, not

Spencer
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Here in the UK, whilst we have official British Records for the "rule 8.20" events, they are really only shot at a handful of major meetings.

This might be a bit surprising considering that we cannot shoot normal cartridge pistols here but the 25m events, even if shot with 5-shot air pistols, remain more popular.
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

Germany (Deutscher Schützenbund): nominally yes for state and national level.

On national level exclusively for youth, and only the falling target event.
Adult competition only up to state level, with vey few participants.

Alexander
Last edited by Alexander on Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

They were shot at the Canadian Nationals for a few years but were dropped this year. So the only major event in Canada where the are shot is the Grand Prix, that I know of.
IPshooter

Post by IPshooter »

OK. So, does that mean that the UK, Germany and Canada have adopted the ISSF 5 Shot AP rules or a variation thereof?

Any other countries/federations?

Stan
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

IPshooter wrote:OK. So, does that mean that the UK, Germany and Canada have adopted the ISSF 5 Shot AP rules or a variation thereof?

Stan
The UK shoot them to the official rules, and we shoot the 25M events to the official rules as well <well most of the time>. In the case of the 25M events the major difference is of course the fact that the 5-shot AP is used instead of the cartridge guns.

Rob.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

RobStubbs wrote:
IPshooter wrote:OK. So, does that mean that the UK, Germany and Canada have adopted the ISSF 5 Shot AP rules or a variation thereof?

Stan
The UK shoot them to the official rules.....
Not quite Rob. The official rules say that the Air Pistol Standard event should be shot on stationary targets with verbal commands. All of the matches I have shot in have used 10m turning targets.
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

David Levene wrote:The official rules say that the Air Pistol Standard event should be shot on stationary targets with verbal commands. All of the matches I have shot in have used 10m turning targets.
In Germany, falling targets (like in biathlon) are used.

Alexander
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Alexander wrote:
David Levene wrote:The official rules say that the Air Pistol Standard event should be shot on stationary targets with verbal commands. All of the matches I have shot in have used 10m turning targets.
In Germany, falling targets (like in biathlon) are used.
That's probably for the Air Pistol Five Target event, which requires the use of falling targets. (edit note:- From memory, doesn't the normal German match use targets with a bigger hole than the ISSF 30mm)

I was referring to the Air Pistol Standard event where you have series of 5 shots in 10 seconds on a single target (with a maximum score of 50). It would be impossible to shoot this event on falling targets.
kanedal

Post by kanedal »

Here in Norway there has been some competition with 5 shot AP. But we talk of very few, for 2009 it seems that there is even less competitions as far as i can tell. Hopefully this will change but i think its lack in popularity is that for most of the shooters, if they are going to cash out for another AP costing somewhere around €1600, most of us just dont want to spend that much for a 5 shot.
But i would like a brother for my LP10, someone has a spare LP50 to give away :-)
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

David Levene wrote: That's probably for the Air Pistol Five Target event, which requires the use of falling targets. (edit note:- From memory, doesn't the normal German match use targets with a bigger hole than the ISSF 30mm)

I was referring to the Air Pistol Standard event where you have series of 5 shots in 10 seconds on a single target (with a maximum score of 50). It would be impossible to shoot this event on falling targets.
Thanks very much for the precision, David. I have never even heard of this latter event. It is not ever shot in the German federation.

As to the target size for the German DSB falling target event, here is the quotation:

"Die Klappscheibengrößen ergeben sich aus den Durchmessern der Blendenöffnungen. Nachwuchsbereich: 59,5 mm, Erwachsenenbereich: 40,0 mm."

Alexander
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Alexander wrote:As to the target size for the German DSB falling target event, here is the quotation:

"Die Klappscheibengrößen ergeben sich aus den Durchmessern der Blendenöffnungen. Nachwuchsbereich: 59,5 mm, Erwachsenenbereich: 40,0 mm."
I thought I remembered you used a larger hole than the ISSF 30mm.

Don't you also use an even larger hole for Juniors. That, plus the instant feedback of a hit, must be a great help in getting youngsters involved in target shooting.
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

David Levene wrote: Don't you also use an even larger hole for Juniors.
Correct, that's what the quotation states.
That, plus the instant feedback of a hit, must be a great help in getting youngsters involved in target shooting.
Not at all. Not in the least. Maybe because of the great additional costs. Few clubs want to buy an extra pistol and extra falling target berths.

What *would* have been a great help to get more youngsters interested, would be a successful lowering of the legal entry age for shooting, instead of the present German 12 / 14 years limit (airguns / cartridge firearms: cf. § 27 WaffG). The federations tried very validly, but parliament did ultimately shrink back.

On the other hand, what can one expect from parliamentarians, if even ISSF shoots itself in the own foot (see the present unneeded age limitation in the bracket 16.5-18.5 years for the forthcoming Youth Olympic Games).

Alexander
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

I have to thank IPShooter and especially David Levene - they have inspired a quick manuscript of mine. :-)

The ISSF 10 m Five Shot Air Pistol would, in my opinion, be an ideal discipline for the forthcoming Youth Olympic Games.

Alexander
Makoto

Post by Makoto »

5-shot AP's are illegal in Japan.
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

Makoto wrote:5-shot AP's are illegal in Japan.
*Laugh*
Well, the IOC can't cater for all particular statutory sillinesses around the globe. Let the Japanese change their law or stay away. They can still participate in the other ISSF disciplines.

Alexander
IPshooter

Post by IPshooter »

Alexander wrote:I have to thank IPShooter and especially David Levene - they have inspired a quick manuscript of mine. :-)

The ISSF 10 m Five Shot Air Pistol would, in my opinion, be an ideal discipline for the forthcoming Youth Olympic Games.

Alexander
Alexander,

You are very welcome. I believe that these two 5-shot AP courses of fire are the best chance to attract young men and young women to ISSF-style pistol competition. But, there is not enough bandwidth here for me to explain all the reasons why. ;-)

Stan
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

Maybe Jacques Rogge would be amenable to your arguments? He has in the past listened to critics attentively (unlike the ISSF), and has incorporated suggestions.

Regards,
Alexander