Tech Force 79

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Misny

Tech Force 79

Post by Misny »

Any opinions on this air rifle for 10 meter shooting for kids aged 10-12 years?

Here is a link: http://www.compasseco.com/tech-force�-p-926.html
Eurastus

Re: Tech Force 79

Post by Eurastus »

Misny wrote:Any opinions on this air rifle for 10 meter shooting for kids aged 10-12 years?

I've got one of these that my 12-year-old shoots. In short, it's not bad and I think a good value for the little money they cost.

It is not a bad starter gun, though be aware that the fit and finish are atrocious. It shoots straight, though, and is not super-heavy. The trigger is better than I'd expect for the money, though we bought ours from, and had it worked over by, the fellow at Flying Dragon Air Rifles (http://airgunartisans.com/flyingdragon/) and he improved the trigger from how it comes out of the box. Give him a call; he'll treat you right.

We didn't pay any more than the Compasseco price, and got a tuned rifle, such that it is. Don't expect it to be a fine as a European gun, but the price was right for a starter.

I'd recommend one if you want to save money.

On our gun, the bolt takes a bit more effort to close than I'd like. My older boy (12) is pretty large for his age and has no problems. The 9-year-old, though, can't close the bolt. I don't know if this is normal for these guns or only the one we have. As mentioned, the fit and finish on these guns is not good and there could well be a burr or other roughness that's causing the resistance. I haven't taken the time to find out, frankly. In all the research I did before we purchased, I never heard anyone else mention that their bolt was tough to close, so I'm betting it is just my example...for whatever that's worth.

We also have a Daisy Avanti 753 rifle. The fit and finish is 100 times better than the Chinese gun, but the trigger is horrendous, even after I did the tune-up from Pilk's page, which made it better, but it is still bad. My boy won't shoot it anymore, and I don't blame him; once we got the Chinese gun, the Daisy stays in the box.

I can shoot the TF79/AR2078 acceptably well myself, but I prefer my FWB 300S any day. For an adult, I'd recommend you spend the couple of hundred dollars more for a used 300S or the like, but it is indeed a much larger and heaver gun. For a young youth (like the 10-12 year-old range), the Chinese gun is fine.
Misny

Post by Misny »

Thanks for the in-depth response Eurastus. It looks like it uses the standard 12 gram CO2 cartridges that can be found just about anywhere. How many shots do you get before refills? Do you have any problems with the cartridges leaking? I take it that the rifle at 6.6 lbs. isn't too much for the 9 year old to shoot off-hand?
Eurastus

Post by Eurastus »

Misny wrote:Thanks for the in-depth response Eurastus. It looks like it uses the standard 12 gram CO2 cartridges that can be found just about anywhere. How many shots do you get before refills? Do you have any problems with the cartridges leaking? I take it that the rifle at 6.6 lbs. isn't too much for the 9 year old to shoot off-hand?
Yup. It used the same ol' CO2 powerlets as most non-bulk-fill CO2 guns. See here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Powerlet. This gun can be set up for bulk-fill as well, if you want. It costs a few dollars more.

You can insert two new powerlets or one used and one new at the same time. Kinda' funky. With two new powerlets, we get about 100 shots. With one new and one used, we get about 40 shots. Be aware that this gun was "tuned" for low power accuracy and as high number of shots per fill as possible.

I usually don't have any problem with leakage, but have gone down to the basement range twice since we bought the gun to find it totally out of gas. I don't know if it was because I didn't tighten the cap all the way--I suspect so, though.

Yes. the gun it too heavy for the younger son; he 4'6" and rather skinny, though. He prefers to shoot an IHZ-61; it is much smaller and lighter (just over 4 lbs. and shorter length-of-pull with the stock all the way in). The Russian gun fits him much better at this time than the Chinese.

Another good source for these Chinese CO2 guns is Archer Airguns: http://www.archerairguns.com/. They carry all the accessories.
Trojan1994

Re: Tech Force 79

Post by Trojan1994 »

Eurastus wrote:
Misny wrote:Any opinions on this air rifle for 10 meter shooting for kids aged 10-12 years?

I've got one of these that my 12-year-old shoots. In short, it's not bad and I think a good value for the little money they cost.

It is not a bad starter gun, though be aware that the fit and finish are atrocious. It shoots straight, though, and is not super-heavy. The trigger is better than I'd expect for the money, though we bought ours from, and had it worked over by, the fellow at Flying Dragon Air Rifles (http://airgunartisans.com/flyingdragon/) and he improved the trigger from how it comes out of the box. Give him a call; he'll treat you right.

We didn't pay any more than the Compasseco price, and got a tuned rifle, such that it is. Don't expect it to be a fine as a European gun, but the price was right for a starter.

I'd recommend one if you want to save money.

On our gun, the bolt takes a bit more effort to close than I'd like. My older boy (12) is pretty large for his age and has no problems. The 9-year-old, though, can't close the bolt. I don't know if this is normal for these guns or only the one we have. As mentioned, the fit and finish on these guns is not good and there could well be a burr or other roughness that's causing the resistance. I haven't taken the time to find out, frankly. In all the research I did before we purchased, I never heard anyone else mention that their bolt was tough to close, so I'm betting it is just my example...for whatever that's worth.

We also have a Daisy Avanti 753 rifle. The fit and finish is 100 times better than the Chinese gun, but the trigger is horrendous, even after I did the tune-up from Pilk's page, which made it better, but it is still bad. My boy won't shoot it anymore, and I don't blame him; once we got the Chinese gun, the Daisy stays in the box.

I can shoot the TF79/AR2078 acceptably well myself, but I prefer my FWB 300S any day. For an adult, I'd recommend you spend the couple of hundred dollars more for a used 300S or the like, but it is indeed a much larger and heaver gun. For a young youth (like the 10-12 year-old range), the Chinese gun is fine.
Archer's Airguns sells an oversized Cocking Knob(Rubber/Synthetic) that makes cocking it much easier and comfortable, cutting the hammer spring improves it as well...

Here's a pic of my QB78T with 24" HW Barrel and the oversized cocking knob:

Another gun that is made for kids that is a recoiless springer target rifle is the old Diana 72 which is what I got my daughter last Christmas. It comes with buttpad spacers to grow with the child and she loves it compared to her first customized Crosman 22XX based air rifle that was cut down and customized to fit her and her strength needs...

If you decide to eventually get a powder burner, I highly recommend the Cricket:

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h195/ ... ickett.jpg

Regards,

Tony
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

Misny ...
I purchased one of these a few years ago .... while it is a nice rifle for outdoor plinking and silhouette, it is not a legal 3-Position Air Rifle Council rifle .... for whatever reason I don't know why ... I actually liked it better than the Crossman 2000 rifles my juniors used to shoot.