Centrefire trigger weight change implementation date.

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
deadeyedick

Centrefire trigger weight change implementation date.

Post by deadeyedick »

Does anyone know when the centrefire trigger weight change from 1360 gr. to 1000 gr. will take place ? And if the change will be internationally accepted, or adopted by each country individually ?
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

ISSF Competitions and ISSF supervised competitions; 1 Jan 2009

For Pistol Australia and AISL, 1 Jan 2009

for those in AUS but not affiliated to PA, it probably doesn't matter

Spencer
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

One thing to remember is that it is just a change to the MINIMUM trigger weight.

If you are happy with your trigger weight as it is, or don't know how to reduce it, then you can carry on using it under the new rules.
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

Last CF competition over for the year and it seemed like a good idea to give the trusty GSP a proper clean and check-over... and while it's apart, set the trigger weight to +1000g

- disassemble into major units and pop the trigger unit into the ultrasonic bath (it's amazing how long and how many rounds you can go through before the Walther trigger unit needs any cleaning/maintenance)
Wash with brake cleaner, blow with compressed air and relubricate

- check the basic adjustments are OK and then on to the trigger weight. Screw 24 took more turns than I expected to get the weight down, but it seems OK at 1100g (if it supports the trigger weight with my shaky old hands it will be OK going through Equipment Control...)

- clean the other units, reassemble and then look at the pistol with a degree of satisfaction - another 12 months of reliable service.
Most of the ranges around here are closed for the christmas-new year period so it will be a week or so before I can try it out with the new triger weight and see if I want to 'fiddle' with the trigger movement adjustments to match the weight

Pity my revolvers will not be that easy...

Spencer
Anders Turebrand

Post by Anders Turebrand »

Spencer wrote:Pity my revolvers will not be that easy...
Well, changing the rebound spring in a S&W revolver in my experience has a drastic effect on trigger pull weight (both SA and DA) and it´s pretty easy to do...
Snipping of coils from the original is of course an alternative that does not require buying or making new springs.

/Anders
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

Thank heavens for Mr Wolff and his springs?

Spencer
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

I wonder how a Manuhrin MR 73 should be approached?
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

deadeyedick wrote:I wonder how a Manuhrin MR 73 should be approached?
I thought the Manuhrin 73 trigger was adjustable

Spencer
ColinC

Post by ColinC »

Pity my revolvers will not be that easy...
Ah Spencer, now I will be able to remove that squashed up .177 pellet that I put in behind the rebound slide spring to ensure that my S&W passed the 1350g weight at gun check.

The real test will be to see whether I shoot any better with a lighter trigger weight!!
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

ColinC wrote:...now I will be able to remove that squashed up .177 pellet that I put in behind the rebound slide spring to ensure that my S&W passed the 1350g weight at gun check.
What???

You mean it does NOT have one (or more) anvils out of a small pistol primer behind the spring???

Spencer
j-team

Post by j-team »

I've just had a go at my revolver (a highly modified S&W model 31).

I cut 3 full turns off the rebound spring (one at a time!) and now have a trigger that lifts 1000grams which I'm happy with. I hung the weight on it and then stacked coins on the weight til it fired, then took one off and tried again to make sure. Ended up with 1080-1100grams, don't think I'll risk trying to get it closer. It feels way lighter, it'll be interesting to see how many times I get early shots in the duelling...

I'm quite pleased really as the trigger had always been too close to the 1360grams before and I'd always sweated my way through equipment control or random checks.

Take this advice at your own risk, if you cut 3 turns off your rebound spring and end up with a 950gram trigger don't come crying to me!
JulianY

Post by JulianY »

deadeyedick wrote:I wonder how a Manuhrin MR 73 should be approached?
Should be no problems, just remember to adjust both the screws. back off the grub screw and then adjust the main screw for course adjustment.

mine will do it just fine

Julian
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

Thanks Julian.
kanedal

Post by kanedal »

j-team wrote:I've just had a go at my revolver (a highly modified S&W model 31).

I cut 3 full turns off the rebound spring (one at a time!) and now have a trigger that lifts 1000grams which I'm happy with. I hung the weight on it and then stacked coins on the weight til it fired, then took one off and tried again to make sure. Ended up with 1080-1100grams, don't think I'll risk trying to get it closer. It feels way lighter, it'll be interesting to see how many times I get early shots in the duelling...

I'm quite pleased really as the trigger had always been too close to the 1360grams before and I'd always sweated my way through equipment control or random checks.

Take this advice at your own risk, if you cut 3 turns off your rebound spring and end up with a 950gram trigger don't come crying to me!
Is this in single or double action?