First timer with some questions

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

TheRival

First timer with some questions

Post by TheRival »

Where to begin?

I have been lurking this forum for the past two weeks learning as much as possible. I am the VP or a small construction company in upstate NY and one of the company functions i thought up with was to hold a 10m air rifle competition. I figured that this would be a great way to get our work force united and have a great morning/afternoon at our office with commingling of upper management and field workers. (90% of our field workers are hunters).

With that said. I have purchased two Daisy Match Rifles. The Avanti 853 and the 753. I also purchased two traps and about 4000 rounds of ammo. I am looking to be entertaining about 25-50 guys. What would be the best way to set up a competition for 25-50 shooters with only two air rifles. Also does the sighting vary that much between shooter A and shooter B to the point of it needing to be "resighted" for each shooter?

What we were considering for a format was to have every person shoot two rounds of 10 shots. Take the 10 highest combined scores and have those shooters progress to the next round. The second round will be another 10 shot competition with the highest three shooters for that individual round compete in a final round for the three cash prizes.

Do you feel this is a good format or would you advise otherwise? Also any tips or tricks that would help expedite the process of running shooters through the range?

Thanks
Kevin
Last edited by TheRival on Thu Dec 18, 2008 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Freepistol

Post by Freepistol »

The world needs more VPs like you!
I wish you much success.
Kudos to you, Kevin.
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

Great idea!

If you are going to use an international 10m rifle target (i.e. the "10" is a .5mm dot), then yes the rifle needs a re-sight between shooters.

But ..... why not just go for the black ... count the number of shots in the black .... hit or miss. Then you're probably OK with a good "bench sighting".

Or use a 10m pistol target.
If you're outdoors, try glueing round candies to the bulls and they'll have even more hollering when they break them

Good luck and have bunches of fun!
TheRival

Post by TheRival »

We are indoors so i think that the 10m Pistol targets would work great. Instead of having the candies glued on the target, i am setting up a video camera with a live feed to a projector behind the shooters so that all of the competitors can have a live feed of the action! :) promotes some more heckling and competition.

Keep up the tips guys!
higginsdj

Post by higginsdj »

Given such a high percentage of hunters might they not get 'bored' with a standard target? Being contstruction workers how about heavy ply cutouts of animal figures (3-4" in size) attached to a moving/movable 'plank'. You guys should be able to rig up some sort of slow orbital motor unit to move the planks side to side.... Obviously if you wanted something more permanent then you might cut the figures out of steel.

Cheers

David
Fred Mannis

Post by Fred Mannis »

I did something similar for a sales meeting many years ago. I found that one on one competition with an elimination ladder worked great - especially for competitive salesmen :-)

Following up on David's suggestion - two shooters each shooting at 4 or 5 silhouettes of appropriate size and material (you can buy steel rams of appropriate size for 10 meters). Give each shooter 5 pellets, an appropriate time limit, and the winner moves up the ladder. The excitement is trying to concentrate on your targets while you can hear your competitor knocking down his.

Fred
TerryKuz

Post by TerryKuz »

Nothing wrong with anyone's suggestion, but I wanted to add another. I would suggest milling a grove in a 2X4 and standing 10 necco wafers. Have the guys shoot until they miss. Just another inexpensive form of a safe reactive target. I would agree that for most guys, paper would be boring, and with the necco's the sighting tolerance is wide. I bet there will be a little side wagers going on! Best wishes on your event.
JamesH

Post by JamesH »

Make sure everyone wears safety glasses
TheRival

Post by TheRival »

JamesH wrote:Make sure everyone wears safety glasses
Great suggestion that was already on the top of my list. Our safety cordinator will be the first one to speak before the event takes place.

Keep up the tips guys.

P.S. got one of the guns sighted in the other night, had a blast, shot an 85 first time out from 10m :)
tim_stone

First timer

Post by tim_stone »

I wish I had a employer like you. I like this idea. Shoot a 10 m Gus Match! This where all shooters gather, and watch the two shooters fire. The watching shooters can try and distract the shooters anyway they can, just not touch them or go forward of an imaginary line. This is a match style we use with 4-H shooters to teach concentration. You find out who your friends are quickly!
TWP

Post by TWP »

I think you should shoot it as an Annie Oakley match.

Line up all your shooters,

First 2 shooters pick up their rifle and each fire a shot.

Shooter with higher score goes to the end of the line to shoot again, shooter with lower score sits down and is out of the competition. If they tie, both go to the back of the line.

Then next 2 shooters approach the line. Continue until you only have 1 shooter left.

Use the air pistol targets at 10 meters, with your remote camera to a big screen TV everyone can watch.

You'll probably have to replace targets at some point in the middle of the match.
tomnfamily

Post by tomnfamily »

Another slant on this is to not count scores. Count group size. Nobody needs to adjust the sights, they just need to not be distracted by a hole that is not exactly where they expected it.
boris

Post by boris »

Metallic silhouettes are more rewarding reactive targets. Normally chickens (about dime in size) are set up at 20Yd/M for air rifle, but with open sights knocking them down from 10M is not trivial task for new in this game shooters. If not enough hits, replace them with bigger animals like pigs, turkeys or rams. Set of four animals is less that $10 and even cheap cast metal ones should last for a few matches.
2 min for 5shots at 5 animals. Count the ones that fall. For hunters this Mexican originated sport is the most entertaining.