Scale for filling 888 CO2

Hints and how to’s for coaches and junior shooters of all categories

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963

Brian Nugent

Scale for filling 888 CO2

Post by Brian Nugent »

Can anyone please tell me what type of scale you are using to fill CO2 cyls for Daisy air rifles? We (4H program) want to get our own tank, but I'm getting conflicting info on what to weigh the cylinders with. Some say postal scale is OK, CO2 guy says we need to get a scale that is legal for trade (and expensive) to be more precise/safe. No, he's not in scale sales and has filled us for free for a few years now. Thanks!
Bill177

Post by Bill177 »

I use a digital postal scale for my Co2 refilling on my Pardini. I am comfortable with the accuracy and don't feel a need for laboratory precision. You can find them at Staples, Office Max, and probably Wal-Mart.
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

the problems with some of the cheaper scales can be:
* accuracy - a quick check is to weigh an empty cylinder (tare weight should be marked on it): if this is within a couple of grams, the filled weight is usually OK
* where on the platen you place the object to be weighed SHOULD not make a difference, but with some chaeper scales...

On this: always set up the scales on a hard, firm and level surface

Spencer
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

BILL177 wrote:
I use a digital postal scale for my Co2 refilling on my Pardini. I am comfortable with the accuracy and don't feel a need for laboratory precision. You can find them at Staples, Office Max, and probably Wal-Mart.
Bill is right as a simple 10 pound scale is more than sufficient.
I'd recommend that you get one that will also measure in grams.

I fill out 888/887 cylinders to a total weight of 475 grams.
However a total weight of even 455 grams will get a shooter thru a 3x20+FINAL match easily.
(as long as they are not firing 20 sighters in each position)

No more than 480 grams though .... the only time I've ever had a safety disk (the burst disk) pop was when I had filled to over 480 and had the cylinders in a box on the floor of the car under the floor heater vent.
As soon as it went I knew what had happened and called myself demeaning names.

You should be able to get a good scale for between $45 and $70 at the locations Bill listed above

Note: Empty weight of the 888/887 cylinders is about 405 (+/- 5) grams
SRichieR

Post by SRichieR »

Been using a postal scale from an office supply house for 6 years. Never had a problem.

Once I fill to what I think is correct, I always remove the adapter and double check the weight. Also, when you have a tank and fills are easy to do, you don't have to fill to the max and run the risk of overfilling.