ROHM Air Pistol - anyone comments

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
TonyT

ROHM Air Pistol - anyone comments

Post by TonyT »

Has anyone used the ROHM air pistols for competition. They appear to be well built with a novel design.
kanedal

Post by kanedal »

I started air-pistol shooting with an Rhøm twinmaster sport 4 year ago.
Nothing wrong with them accuracy wise, but the grips are the worst i have tried. The sights could have been better, the rear sight fell apart a couple of times in six months. The trigger can not compare to the top air-pistols but for the price it must be considered good enough.
One thing i really did not like was the loading procedure, to complicated.
With only one tube of air you must be sure to top it off before training/competition.
After about 6 months i sold it of and bought an Steyr LP10, never regretted one second.

Post by 220 »

I have been using a Rohm for a number of years. It is the twinmaster match. A much better gun for ISSF air than the rest of the Rohm range.
It is a single shot, the grip has an adjustable palm shelf and fitted me as well as my K&N grips, the 1st and 2nd stages of the trigger can be adjusted for weight and lenght but the overall weight is fixed at about 600g. Sight width is adjustable as is lenght of pull at about half the price of a styer I think they are good value.
The only problem I had was the spring that pushes open the loading gate broke after about 10 000 shots. The gun was still usable and I completed the match by manually pushing open. A trip to the local fishing store produced a replacement spring.
Accuracy is much better than I can hold and I have shot a few 50's with it on good days.
ColinC

Post by ColinC »

Our club purchased a Rohm Twinmaster match with left and right KN grips for use as a club gun.

It is used 2-4 times a week and certainly shoots well. However, the downside is the finish on the cocking level appears to be bare metal rather than blued and is showing signs of surface rust from the acid in people's hands. If you buy one make sure that you wipe the pistol over with a gun oil after use, particularly the cocking lever.

The spring which operates the loading gate also broke recently. We were able to get it fixed from the dealer which was expensive, but then he did service the whole gun.

The small green (food quality??) O-ring where the cylinder screws on has failed 3 times and we have had to replace it. Again very costly from the dealer ($12 AU per ring) because we have not been able to purchase a supply of these O rings elsewhere. This O-ring is susceptible to being pinched and therefore broken if you are not careful in aligning the cyclinder when screwing it on.

The best thing about these pistols is the price. Their accuracy is as good as anything on the market and the trigger is not too bad. I have shot with it only the once and found that I scored about the same as I do with my Morini apart from 3-4 bad shots which were caused by my not being used to the trigger.

Now if someone knew where to buy a packet/box of O-rings . . .
Johnny

Trigger less perfect..

Post by Johnny »

ColinC wrote:
The best thing about these pistols is the price. Their accuracy is as good as anything on the market and the trigger is not too bad. . . . .apart from 3-4 bad shots which were caused by my not being used to the trigger.
Now if someone knew where to buy a packet/box of O-rings . . .
You may feel free to read beween the lines...

The trigger of the Røhm airguns are bad. As bad as it may get. "Non plus inferior". (We are considering match type APs here, aren´t we?)

The best thing, as stated above, is the moderate price. But when the shortcomings are taken into consideration, it is not a bargain.
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

For the price of a new Röhm Twinmaster Match, one can buy any real high-end air pistol in good used condition here.

My own brief shooting contact with the Twinmaster also left me with a not too favourable impression.

Alexander
Last edited by Alexander on Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TonyT

Thanks

Post by TonyT »

Thanks for your comments. It appears that it would be a nice accurate plinker but not a serious target pistol.
ColinC

Post by ColinC »

Our Guest Johnny wrote:
The trigger of the Røhm airguns are bad. As bad as it may get.
I am certainly no advocate for Rohm airguns as I prefer my Morini's trigger. However, the trigger is not at all that bad. Maybe you just had a bad experience with one which wasn't adjusted to your liking.

Yes, the pistols are cheaply made but they are great entry level PCP pistols. If I found a good second hand PCP Morini, Anshultz, Steyr, FWB, Pardini etc. which had come down to the price of a new Rohm, I would start to wonder what was wrong with the second hand pistol.
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

ColinC wrote:If I found a good second hand PCP Morini, Anshultz, Steyr, FWB, Pardini etc. which had come down to the price of a new Rohm, I would start to wonder what was wrong with the second hand pistol.
What is wrong, is the pistol's distance to you :-).

Alexander
Muffo

Post by Muffo »

ColinC wrote:Our Guest Johnny wrote:
The trigger of the Røhm airguns are bad. As bad as it may get.
I am certainly no advocate for Rohm airguns as I prefer my Morini's trigger. However, the trigger is not at all that bad. Maybe you just had a bad experience with one which wasn't adjusted to your liking.

Yes, the pistols are cheaply made but they are great entry level PCP pistols. If I found a good second hand PCP Morini, Anshultz, Steyr, FWB, Pardini etc. which had come down to the price of a new Rohm, I would start to wonder what was wrong with the second hand pistol.
Not a thing would be the answer. the Rohms bring about 1200. 1000 to 1500 will buy a second hand FWB in exelent condition. so why start with the rohm for a similar price
edster99

a choice of 2

Post by edster99 »

I have a 'trainer' - CO2 powered - which is equipped with a red dot sight and is great for high speed shooting at plate targets, double action. Single action trigger - not good. My wife has a 'top' which is PCP but the trigger is pretty poor. Then again, its 1/3 of the price of a PCP over here in the UK, so what do you expect ? You cant compare a Steyr and a Rohm, in my experience.
Johnny

Re: a choice of 2

Post by Johnny »

edster99 wrote: I have a 'trainer' - CO2 powered - which is equipped with a red dot sight and is great for high speed shooting at plate targets, double action. Single action trigger - not good. My wife has a 'top' which is PCP but the trigger is pretty poor. Then again, its 1/3 of the price of a PCP over here in the UK, so what do you expect ?
Here, the top Rohm model asks 40 % of the cost of a top end Steyr, Morini or FWB.

edster99 wrote: You cant compare a Steyr and a Rohm, in my experience.
No. You can´t. In everybodies experience.
Alexander

Re: a choice of 2

Post by Alexander »

Johnny wrote: You can't compare a Steyr and a Röhm, in my experience.
Of course one can and one SHOULD. The comparison serves to show the difference. :)

Alexander
Walter

Post by Walter »

They have a long history of making junk.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=238332

Their airpistols are probably the best things they've ever made, but by the opinions of those who own them I wouldn't consider one based on their quality history.
Johnny

"medium" quality handguns

Post by Johnny »

Walter wrote:They have a long history of making junk.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=238332

Their airpistols are probably the best things they've ever made, but by the opinions of those who own them I wouldn't consider one based on their quality history.
Once upon a time, there was marketed "sub-quality" firearms (revolvers), of the "Reck" brand, probably "assembled" in same country as Rohm (Røhm). I have seen, and fired(!), these revolvers in the calibers .22 r.f. and .32 S&W L.
Long time ago, that was.

Does "Reck" have any connection to "Rohm"?

And what about "Arminius"? Another "medium"-quality firearm brand, I belive.
Alexander

German revolvers...

Post by Alexander »

The South West German firm of Hermann Weihrauch (using the old Arminius trademark of Pickert's heritage) makes lower and middle level revolvers, but their top-of-the-line HW 9 ST target model safely holds 10 shots within 25 mms at 25 metres. It is a rather highly esteemed gun in its longer-barrelled silhouette version too.

Röhm (RG) made much cheap junk, but also a few decent middle class guns. And even the abominable RG 10 does hold the 9 ring of the ISSF 25 metres precision target, as I have tried out. They had a number of better revolvers too.

The same is true for Reck and EM-GE and HS (Hermann Schmidt). Much junk, and a few decent middle-class guns. Today, they only make blank and gas guns.

Excellent German revolver producers on the other hand were Erma, Korth and Sauer & Sohn. None of these guns is still being built.

Alexander