Dot size?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
old sparky

Dot size?

Post by old sparky »

Hello, I am struggling shooting 10 meter pistol because of my eyes. I have three sets of glasses that are different prescription. They all work well sometimes. Then sometimes they don’t. Do my eyes change from day to day? Maybe. I have thought about a red dot and want to keep the weight down. So I have been thinking about getting a Burris fast fire. They come in 3 MOA and 8 MOA. The other day I tried a LP10 with a fast fire it was the small dot used at a store. The target was a black bull about 6” I shot at ten meters. The dot seemed tiny. I only had the opportunity of shooting ten pellets. I wasn’t sold on set up or deal and let it go. I wondered if the 8 Moa dot could be used well on a ten meter target. In my mind it would. But I have been wrong before and don’t want to waste my money. Any answers for me?

Thanks, Jim
dronning

Re: Dot size?

Post by dronning »

Jim there have been several polls over on the Bullseye forum about dot size. The majority of responses (53%) were 2MOA. Not too many shot anything bigger than 4MOA. There were a couple that were shooting 8.

My personal experience was when I went from 4MOA to 2MOA my groups got smaller. I do shoot a 2MOA dot on my LP50 when practicing sustained fire.
- Dave
Certified Safety Instructor: Rifle & Pistol
They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
~ Ben Franklin
crankythunder

Post by crankythunder »

Dear Old Sparky:

I am in the same situation and shoot free pistol and bullseye pistol. Have trouble hitting a garbage can at 50 foot with irons.

Get yourself a ultra dot match dot that has 2, 4, 8, and 16 MOA plus a couple of other recticles.

You can switch between 2 moa, 4 MOA and the others and I believe that our eyesight changes daily, if not hourly.

I sometimes shoot 2 moa, sometimes shoot 4 moa in bullseye. Sometimes I start with one size and switch to the other and switch back again. Same zero.

Regards,
Cranky
SamEEE

Post by SamEEE »

You could try a "variolens" which is an inflatable(?) lens setup which changes the dioptre (-3 -> +3, I think) rating of the optic as you adjust it. A aperture in front of the lens will stop down your iris some and increase your depth of vision.

Hopefully between those two solutions you find something that helps your eyesight.
Image Image
old sparky

Post by old sparky »

thanks for the reply. Any chance someone can direct me to the Dot size poll. I can't seem to find it. I was looking at a fast fire to keep weight down. But since I don't have one I didn't know how reliable or accurate they are.

thanks
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

I've got a FastFire on a couple pistols, and they work fine. Recently I put a Vortex Venom on one of my pistols, and it is similar, but I think I prefer the Burris. The Venom has the advantage that it has more illumination levels, but the "clicks" for adjustments aren't as positive as on the Burris. Both are 3 MOA.

Both are very light and won't affect the weight & balance of your pistol much. I have a Fast Fire on an LP 50 for bullseye practice at 10 meters, and it works great.
Dipnet

Post by Dipnet »

For precision pistol shooting, the smaller the dot, the more precise the aim; go with 2 moa in a sight where you can vary intensity and precisely adjust the dot. For 50 yards, I shoot the lowest intensity that dot that I can clearly see.

I was initially fascinated by the small reflex dot sites like Burris Fastfire or Doctor, but in my opinion, do not adjust dot movement precisely and are therefore not satisfactory for target shooting. A easy test is shooing a square: when the sight is correctly sighted in for you pistol on a rest, shoot a square (equal number of clicks right, down, left, and back up). For a few ounces more, an Ultradot will do that and in my experience, they are very reliable and have good customer support. Aimpoints are excellent too, just pricey, but a compromise may be Holosun HS403B for about $200, less than half an Aimpoint (never shot with one but they seem to have good reviews). dipnet