Does Morini Still Make The Factory LP10 Grip?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
CraigB5940

Does Morini Still Make The Factory LP10 Grip?

Post by CraigB5940 »

I shoot a Morini CM162EI long with short cylinders with an XL grip and I just got a LP10E compact with an XL grip and the grip fits are night and day. I've also found that for my hand width (100mm) the Styer and Morini charts may be off suggesting the XL grip, I had to add putty to the wrist shelf on both. I'm thinking large would fit me too.

The LP10 grip surprised me, I think it is simply too big. I thought Morini made the factory LP10 grips and I would not see such a drastic change. I thinking that I am better off trying a Morini or Rink grip rather than trying to do a radical grip reconfiguration on the factory grip.
Craig B
J R

Re: Does Morini Still Make The Factory LP10 Grip?

Post by J R »

As far as I know LP10E grips are not, and never have been, manufactured by morini.
I remember reading here some speculation that they are, or at least were, manufactured by Iber.
John Marchant

Post by John Marchant »

The grips on the LP10 were made by Morini, whilst the grips on the LP10E circa 2010 were made by Iber, although that may have changed on the later models.
Not sure at present who is contracted to making the grips for the EVO10 or if there might be a different manufacturer for the EVO10E grips.
ABerryhill

Post by ABerryhill »

If you can't find a grip you like, I can help. I've been making 3d-printed custom grips for customers for almost a year now and would be happy to make one for you. I can even make them out of a material that feels just like a wood grip in your hand. You'll spend less and get a grip that fits better. See my site (PrecisionTargetPistolGrips.com) for details.

Andrew

PrecisionTargetPistolGrips.com
Precision Grips for All Hands and Most Guns
mld

Post by mld »

The grip sizes do vary by manufacturer. My hand is also 100mm, and the Steyr grip on my LP10E is a medium. The same grip from Rink is a large.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

mld wrote:The grip sizes do vary by manufacturer. My hand is also 100mm, and the Steyr grip on my LP10E is a medium. The same grip from Rink is a large.
I've been working on collecting data on grip sizes for the team I coach. Every vendor has a different idea about sizes. Here's what I have at the moment:
Attachments
Grip Sizes Ver 2.xls
(19 KiB) Downloaded 184 times
Owl

Post by Owl »

Gwhite - any chance of posting your clickable .xls file link in another format? My computer can't open the .xls version you posted.
-Marty-
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

It might be the spaces in the name. Here's a PDF without the spaces:
Attachments
Grip_Sizes_Ver_2.pdf
(46.7 KiB) Downloaded 134 times
therider

Post by therider »

Lp10e we're made by Pablo Alonso in Spain. The new Evo's grip are made by Pablo too, but they have nothing to share with the old lp10 grips. They are much better in my opinion.
CraigB5940

Post by CraigB5940 »

Thanks for the info everyone.
Now I think that I should have titled this tread Morini 162EI vs Styer LP10E!

I have contacted Andrew and he is going to copy my Morini 162EI grip profile to the LP10E frame fit with his 3D printing process. I am desperate to get this LP10 E shooting on par with my Morini. It is really difficult for me to shoot as consistently as I can shoot the 162EI and I'm having a hard time believing that the difference lies in the fact that this is a compact (with factory rear sight as far back as it will go) vs a standard barrel on the Morini with a compact cylinder. I have a rear sight extension for the LP10E on order from Pilkguns. Getting a long barrel and shroud is going to be pricey, somewhere near $800, which in that case I will just sell it or trade it for a long LP10E. I got it used but nearly brand new from a TT member a few weeks ago.

I got the compact LP10E with hopes it would put less strain on my elbow. I had a bad tendon injury in the years past and still feel discomfort from time to time if I shoot frequently throughout the week. I am using all four factory weights on the shroud way out front but I score less 10's and I get more shots outside my 9 ring wobble zone. I started with the Morini last year, I never had to struggle with chasing sight wobble vs trigger release. The year before that I had a IZH 46-M which was too muzzle heavy for me.

I'd hate to sell the LP10E so soon, I actually bought it in the hopes that the grip adjustments would benefit me in addition to less weight being out front to tax my sore elbow.

The trigger difference I feel is that the Styer has a "firmer and safer" wall between first and second stage but the Morini seems to be an easier trigger to release even though both are set to lift 525 grams. With the Morini trigger, I do have to be focused on the sensitive wall between the first and second stage, it is somewhat of a risk to me during a match to let stress trigger off a shot slightly early. This risk is always lurking in my mind since I just started shooting NRA matches. From time to time at home I get into a slump too with this too, maybe every month I have to tame it.

I really like the lack of recoil on the LP10E and the fact that I do not need a screwdriver to adjust elevation and windage.
Right now I am shooting in the 540 to 548 range with the Morini and I'm 10 to 15 points lower with the Styer!

I will update after I get the 3-D printed grip back from Andrew.
Craig B