Opinions on Match Guns MGH1 mechanical.

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
shaky hands

Re: Opinions on Match Guns MGH1 mechanical.

Post by shaky hands »

flolo wrote:you shouldn't compare professionals to beginners. i've seen people score between 385-390 in the Bundesliga with lent pistols , as their own had a problem. so, if you're world-class it seems that it doesnt matter anyway... but i'll ask Olena at the wc in munich at the end of this month.
I think you are missing my point. Yes, a professional COULD make it work with any grip, but why WOULD she, given that she can choose from any manufacturer whatsoever, especially if she is looking for that little edge over the competition where possible? It would be plain dumb for her to think "I can do it anyway, so let me choose something which does not fit my hands." This is why I am skeptical of your assessment that shooters with below median hands should be wary of LP10.
rmca

Post by rmca »

therider wrote:
rmca wrote:Since the stabilizer isn't a visible metal part, I would (and did) leave it dry.
Never had a problem with mine, and I check it at least once a year.
No, as far as I have understood from the conversation with the guy who bought my pistol, it is a random process. Sometimes it blocks and sometimes it works! So you never know unless you are Jin Jongho, if the pistol recoils because of you or because of the adsorber, it would be nice if it would simply block, but it doesn't.
And I heard similar descriptions from other good shooters.
Well, i'm a decent shot (between 560-570) so I would know if the absorber would block.

The way the absorber works is pretty simple, so a simple check for burs or dirt should get it working again.
Also check if the catch at the top of the bolt is free to move, as the guy does in the service video.
And make sure the gap of the white ring is between the springs and keep that area clean and dry (q-tips work well for that).

Pass this along to the guy who bought your pistol and see if it helps.

We have quite a few LP10's and LP10E's here in Portugal, and I haven't seen a problem with the absorber yet. Not that it couldn't happen... I just never seen it.

Hope this helps
flolo

Post by flolo »

@ shaky hands: let me ask her in about 3 weeks, maybe we get an answer( it's also possible that there may be a contract between the ukrainian team and steyr)

had jin jong-oh's new free pistol grip in my hands last week when i visited my fellow shooting-club colleague Francesco in Bedano with my fellow shooting club colleague therider, and oh's hand is also on the small side, so maybe this was a reason for the switch to morini also with airpistol.

p.s.: i didnt say you couldn't get the steyr to work with smaller hands, i just think it's more difficult(especially with shorter fingers). just look at the threads here about steyr and grip fitting, especially the lp10e. so, just my opinion, it may be easier to start with a pistol that supports the anatomy of your hand and doesnt force you to work around the mechanical ideal of pulling the trigger straight back in direction of the barrel axis by tilting the grip or the trigger blade. thats my experience from learning it the hard way, and also one of the reasons i sold my lp10& lp10e. and still, i think olena could easily score 390 with any pistol, even rover's ssp
shaky hands

Post by shaky hands »

Yes, please ask her, but the existence of the contract would not matter much. She most certainly has a contract, but just as likely would have a contract with anyone of her choosing. (By the way, I would not say that she can easily score 390 with any pistol; she was able to do so in the past indeed, but only a handful of times out of dozens of starts, according to the ISSF website.)

My own hands are a bit of a conundrum. They are not very meaty, so with long bones they are only 95 mm wide in the knuckle area, but I have fingers long enough to hold a basketball. So I am not sure if I should use the regular table which quotes a single dimension (width) or to go with a bigger size.
flolo

Post by flolo »

got a similar problem, but the other way round: wide hand, shorter fingers. try maennel.at , they have a lot of different models and also a sizing chart. but they offer for steyr only.

i don't know if they still work with ciro fiore as in the past, but i had them do a custom grip in ~2009, he took a sheet of paper, outlined my hand, took some pictures,sent it to ciro, and i got one of the best fitting grips - still very impressed with this, and it's a keeper - just in case i ever get a steyr again...
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

flolo wrote:i don't know if they still work with ciro fiore as in the past,
I heard that Ciro is now enjoying his retirement.

If anybody knows different, and has his contact details,I would be very interested to know.
therider

Post by therider »

I know somebody who recently got a grip done bye Ciro in milan
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

flolo wrote:got a similar problem, but the other way round: wide hand, shorter fingers. try maennel.at , they have a lot of different models and also a sizing chart. but they offer for steyr only.
I looked at Maennel's sizing chart, and they recommend their "short" grips for finger+hand lengths less than 194 mm. My wife's hand measures 160 mm, or more than 3 cm shorter than "short".

I searched their web site to find an email address, and struck out. It may be buried in the German text, but I looked for anything likely & still couldn't find it. Does anyone have contact info for them?
flolo

Post by flolo »

Also couldn't find any contact info on the site... So i googled them: try office@maennel.at , as the phone number i found is working, i just called outside their business hours, i think the email-address should work, too. Keep me informed if you get an answer, otherwise i give them a call when they're in.