Anybody have a new FAS 6004?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
kevinweiho

Re: Anybody have a new FAS 6004?

Post by kevinweiho »

I still have my "crappy" Gamo Compact that has well over 10.000 shots and I only had to change the piston and rear end of the compression cylinder with regular nitrile o-rings lubed with FWB special grease. After the seal replacement, the cocking force of the pistol and the discharge sound was low, but as I continued to pump and fire the pistol, the cocking force increased as well as the discharge.

This means that your FAS pistol is still brand new or lacks lubrication and needs to be used more frequently for the seals to be stabilized.
slofyr

Post by slofyr »

ScottF wrote:When I received my FAS 6004 from Airguns of Arizona, I also received a chrony test of five shots....
Beyond that, is it working for you? How are your groups?
Last edited by slofyr on Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rmca

Post by rmca »

kevinweiho wrote:I still have my "crappy" Gamo Compact that has well over 10.000 shots and I only had to change the piston
The Gamo was (and still is) my first air pistol. And I have a special place in my heart for her. But I'm not going to polish a turd...
The gun for proper competition shooting is plain crap.
I'm now shooting in the 560s with my LP10, and granted that the Gamo helped me get there... but only until the 520s... from then on the "climb" would be much more steeper with the Gamo than it was with the LP10.
And I've done a lot of work on the Gamo!

I didn't meant to offend anyone with the "crappy" comment. As I said, I have a soft spot for her!

Hope this helps
kevinweiho

Post by kevinweiho »

rmca wrote:The Gamo was (and still is) my first air pistol. And I have a special place in my heart for her. But I'm not going to polish a turd...
The gun for proper competition shooting is plain crap.
I'm now shooting in the 560s with my LP10, and granted that the Gamo helped me get there... but only until the 520s... from then on the "climb" would be much more steeper with the Gamo than it was with the LP10.
And I've done a lot of work on the Gamo!

I didn't meant to offend anyone with the "crappy" comment. As I said, I have a soft spot for her!

Hope this helps
No offense taken. The Compact was also my first ten meter pistol. I also have a LP10 and there is no comparison to make between the two pistols, except that whenever there is a problem with the Compact, I can diagnose and easily have her fixed up.

Did you know that the Airpistol Championships of Spain in 2006, the Compact was used by Miguel Salvador Giménez Carpena, who surprised everyone with a score of 575, ending up as the second runner up in the competition?

http://airecomprimido.net/portal/viewto ... 30&t=28764

I enjoy shooting my Gamo from time to time, but will never use it in a formal competition, because the learning curve is much easier with the first tier match pistols.
rmca

Post by rmca »

kevinweiho wrote: No offense taken. The Compact was also my first ten meter pistol. I also have a LP10 and there is no comparison to make between the two pistols, except that whenever there is a problem with the Compact, I can diagnose and easily have her fixed up.

Did you know that the Airpistol Championships of Spain in 2006, the Compact was used by Miguel Salvador Giménez Carpena, who surprised everyone with a score of 575, ending up as the second runner up in the competition?

http://airecomprimido.net/portal/viewto ... 30&t=28764

I enjoy shooting my Gamo from time to time, but will never use it in a formal competition, because the learning curve is much easier with the first tier match pistols.
Yes I did know that Mr Carpena came in second with that pistol... but he is a world class shooter. And I bet it was more of a publicity stunt than anything else.
Would he have won if is was using a "match grade" pistol?
Why didn't he used it since?

Anyway, I still do shoot mine from time to time.

As for the Steyr, I feel much more comfortable messing with her since I watched the repair videos Steyr made. Check them out:
http://www.steyr-sport.com/index.php/en ... ice-movies

Hope this helps
ScottF

Post by ScottF »

ScottF wrote:When I received my FAS 6004 from Airguns of Arizona, I also received a chrony test of five shots using RWS 7 grain Hobby pellets (dated 30 Sept 2014). The results are as follows from the first to the fifth shot:
1. 359 fps
2. 326 fps
3. 336 fps
4. 333 fps
5. 321 fps
I asked Airguns of Arizona for an interpretation of the results. Their reply was that it is normal for the velocity of the first shot to be well greater than the velocity of the following shots, but that velocity would likely even out at around the same velocity of the following shots.

My concern is: Is a velocity in the 320's and 330's too low (or normal) for the FAS 6004 (with a 7 grain pellet)?
To others with a 6004, what are the chrony results that came with your 6004 (or later chrony results)?
Slofyr asked about my groups with my FAS 6004 (described above). Unfortunately, I don't have a bench rest, so my shooting has been offhand (using Meisterkugeln 4.49 mm 7 grain pellets), and it seems fine...I suppose (mostly in the black using 10 meter targets with some clean holes and some torn holes).

But there is still that nagging question: Are these initial chrony tests for the first five shots typical for this pistol?
Do any other 6004 owners have initial five shot chrony results to share and compare?
kevinweiho

Post by kevinweiho »

ScottF wrote:When I received my FAS 6004 from Airguns of Arizona, I also received a chrony test of five shots using RWS 7 grain Hobby pellets (dated 30 Sept 2014). The results are as follows from the first to the fifth shot:
1. 359 fps
2. 326 fps
3. 336 fps
4. 333 fps
5. 321 fps
But there is still that nagging question: Are these initial chrony tests for the first five shots typical for this pistol?
Do any other 6004 owners have initial five shot chrony results to share and compare?
Hello Scott, can you tell us how many shots has already been fired in your pistol? Is there a consistent pressure when you are pressing down on the closing stroke or it varies from shot to shot?
Last edited by kevinweiho on Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
kevinweiho

Post by kevinweiho »

rmca wrote:Yes I did know that Mr Carpena came in second with that pistol... but he is a world class shooter. And I bet it was more of a publicity stunt than anything else.
Would he have won if is was using a "match grade" pistol?
Why didn't he used it since?

Anyway, I still do shoot mine from time to time.

As for the Steyr, I feel much more comfortable messing with her since I watched the repair videos Steyr made. Check them out:
http://www.steyr-sport.com/index.php/en ... ice-movies

Hope this helps
We can say that the Gamo is a “turd”, however, in the right hands (world class shooters) it is a diamond in the rough, capable of achieving high scores...Kinda reminds me of those infomercials with a product, but when you try it out, it doesn’t work for you!!!... In the interview, Mr. Carpena mentioned that the pistol is a very good pistol for a beginner to start out with, throughout the 60 shots, he never went lower than a 9, but will possibly chose another airpistol that is “better suited” for the following competitions. His words clearly tell us that he wants a more “refined” pistol.

In my opinion, he would have won if he had a true “match grade” pistol.

Yes, I already have seen those self repair videos of Steyr, they should make a video of a complete disassembly/assembly of the pistol.

Currently, the best match grade pistol at a reasonable price is still the new FAS 6004. It virtually has none of the shortcomings of the Gamo, except for the low velocity.
Leon

Post by Leon »

Hi - my 6004, also from Airguns of Arizona, has these chrono measurements -

1=347
2=349
3=348
4=352
5=352

i thought it was nice of them to perform this test and the accompanying leaflet, explaining the test measurements and airgun breaking in etc , is very interesting and useful.

Don't fret about your gun - the leaflet explains that the initial break-in it can take 30 40 shots or so...

There does not seem to be any difference in the velocity between my 6004 and 604 and is producing x ring size groups now, It seems to like the pellet that Rover has been raving about best - JSB Green Light Match.

The notch size of my rear sight is woefully small - 3.35mm so judicious use of needle files has widened it to 4.0mm, same size as the front sight.

I've performed some perfunctory trigger weight adjustment but cannot get it below 1000gram. If you take of the grip, there is a protruding bolt encased with a spring and a nut at it's end. I suspect that if I adjust this I can get down to my desired 500 gram weight.
ScottF

Post by ScottF »

kevinweiho wrote:
1. 359 fps
2. 326 fps
3. 336 fps
4. 333 fps
5. 321 fps
Hello Scott, can you tell us how many shots has already been fired in your pistol? Is there a consistent pressure when you are pressing down on the closing stroke or it varies from shot to shot?
Hello Kevin. Despite the wide velocity variation of the initial five shots, cocking pressure as I press down on the closing stroke has felt pretty consistent over a hundred shots of Meisterkugeln 4.49 mm 7 grain pellets. Without my own chrony, I do wonder if this gun now shoots in the 320 - 330 range (unlike the 6004 that Leon in Sydney just received from Airguns of Arizona which shoots around 350 fps with only 5 fps variation).

Anyone else have initial five shot velocity results for the FAS 6004 to share and compare?
Leon

Post by Leon »

Scott - do you happen to know what the trigger weight of your 6004 is?
ScottF

Post by ScottF »

Leon wrote:Scott - do you happen to know what the trigger weight of your 6004 is?
I do not have a trigger weight measuring device, and Airguns of Arizona did not tell me what the trigger weight is. (I have made no adjustments.)
Do you (Leon) know the trigger weight of your 6004?

Also, if any other 6004 owners have chrony tests results, we would be very interested to know what they are.
(Velocity results for Leon's 6004 and for my 6004 are in posts above.)
Leon

Post by Leon »

I've just set the trigger weight of my 6004 to 550 grams... It was about 1200 grams out of the box.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Test your trigger with a weight made of a bent coat hanger with two tins of pellets duct taped to it.

If the gun goes off, it's too light.
newenglandairgun

Post by newenglandairgun »

Just Received 3 6004's today, will be testing them with Lead-Free pellets as that is all we shoot. have a few members with beeman P17's, will get their input also.
REESE

Post by REESE »

Received my new FAS 6004 Match last Friday, put 500 RWS Basics thru it on Saturday without incident. I have been shooting a Pardini k58 so can't compare it to anything, and have not laid eyes on an FAS 604.

The 6004 balances very nicely, similar to my Xesse, and will be a good sub to train with. Grip is large right-hand and feels very good as is - so far. Benched it in a vise with above ammo and I get one hole at 10m with 0.1" center-to-center with 20 shots to the target after 200 shots total thru the new barrel. The K58 shoots same pellets at 0.06" after many thousands of pellets.

VERY well built and should stand up to club-gun and Boy Scout abuse. Sights are very nice for a $500 gun. Cocking effort is about half the Pardini, and I've found it quite easy either holding in hand and folding things up, or resting the gun on the table, grip and muzzle on the table, and dropping the lever smoothly into place, so younger or lighter arms will have no trouble.

Very quiet, about half as loud as the Pardini or PCP's I've been around. This is my new in-the-den gun. Trigger adjusts easily with good, comfortable feedback to the finger, and breaks cleanly. Does not break like glass like a $1K+ gun, more like a very dry pretzel with an audible snap. I'd say close to outstanding for its price.

Hope this helps.
micken

Post by micken »

REESE wrote:have not laid eyes on an FAS 604.

............................................. I'd say close to outstanding for its price.

Hope this helps.
I've got two 604's one very used and in need of some work on the rear sight. The other is one of the last bought from Bisley, here in the UK and has not been used very much. Your mini review pretty much covers the 604 quite accurately although I suspect that the triggers are better on the 604 than the 6004.

Fantastic guns and well worth the money imho.

Best regards,

Mick
Rover

Post by Rover »

First thing....lose the lead-free pellets if you want any kind of accuracy.
seamaster

Post by seamaster »

Any proof that lead free pellets are not accurate?

In big game hunting, copper bullets with modification are the most accurate bullets around.

So, any proof that lead free pellets are not accurate? I think it is just a myth.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

I don't know about pellets, but the rangemaster at MIT got some "green" CCI .22 lead-free ammo (NOT CCI Green Box). I tried in my Pardini SP, and it was awful. I've be surprised if it would group within half an inch at 50 feet. It was also very dirty.

I seem to recall someone testing lead free pellets here a while back. They were not competition quality. Here's one comment:
http://www.targettalk.org/viewtopic.php ... er#p211718