Anybody have a new FAS 6004?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Benny

Re: Anybody have a new FAS 6004?

Post by Benny »

I just got my 6004 today. I also have two FAS 604s. I ordered the 6004 with the ambi grips because the factory large grips on my 604 were to small so I thought I would play it safe. As I just opened the box two hours ago I haven't had a chance to shoot it much. One 604 was bought brand new just a couple of years ago and the other was bought used. The serial numbers are about 10,000 units apart so the used one is a bit older. The 6004 seems to be a combination of the two. The sights of the 6004 are the same as the old 604. They do not have the removable plate so that you can change the notch size on the rear sight like my newer 604 does. The front sight is held in place with a slotted screw rather than one with an allen head. My old 604 has a trigger over travel pin where the new 604 and 6004 do not. Other than that all three triggers set up the same way. The old 604 also has an internal weight under the muzzle which the newer 604 and 6004 do not have. All three guns have a different finish. The old 604 has a dull powder coat look to it. The newer 604 is the same on the top strap but the bottom half is a charcoal gray colour. The 6004's top is the same but the bottom half has a slightly glossier black finish. It's not real shiny but it's not a flat black either. I'll have to do some more shooting before I can comment on the accuracy but so far it seems just as good as the 604s. That's about all I can say so far.
mparker

Post by mparker »

Thanks Benny -

Would you please post images of your three sometime?
Benny

Post by Benny »

I have attached a few photos of my pistols. I've kept them in order with the oldest 604 to the left, the newer 604 in the middle and the 6004 on the right. Another thing I noticed is the block containing the transfer port has a flat surface like the old 604. You can see on the newer 604 that there is a channel that the barrel fits into. From shooting I would say it makes little or no difference that I can see. The block on the 6004 isn't as smooth on the top or sides as the 604s but that's just cosmetics. I was shooting the 6004 the other day and got some tight groups with JSB Match 4.49 (green tin). It does seem to shoot a little high but that might be my sloppy form as I am a little out of practice. Hahaha
Attachments
FAS internals.JPG
FAS internals.JPG (55.27 KiB) Viewed 8357 times
FAS F sights.JPG
FAS F sights.JPG (87.67 KiB) Viewed 8357 times
FAS Ports.JPG
FAS Ports.JPG (52.58 KiB) Viewed 8357 times
FAS R Sights.jpg
FAS 3Pistols.JPG
FAS 3Pistols.JPG (76.59 KiB) Viewed 8357 times
Jkvandal

Post by Jkvandal »

Benny,

Thanks for the pics. Do you or any others have any more information/reviews on this air pistol? Since it's new, information is hard to come by.

I'm either going with the FAS 6004 or IZH 46 for my air pistol cross training for bullseye pistol. I figure the 6004 has the benefit of similar balance to a bullseye pistol and a new 6004 has roughly the same price tag as a used Izzy. Any other input or feedback on the 6004 is much appreciated!

-John
Rover

Post by Rover »

I personally would go with the FAS without the fancy grips (for your purpose), but remember that you cannot use crap American targets. You'll need the spendy Euros and use light pellets. I recommend RWS Basics as they are cheap, light, and good.
45ACP223

Post by 45ACP223 »

Rover wrote:I personally would go with the FAS without the fancy grips (for your purpose), but remember that you cannot use crap American targets. You'll need the spendy Euros and use light pellets. I recommend RWS Basics as they are cheap, light, and good.
I concur, the FAS would be a better match to bullseye pistols.
slofyr

Post by slofyr »

Jkvandal wrote:...I'm either going with the FAS 6004 or IZH 46 for my air pistol cross training for bullseye pistol....
To me, the 604 appeared to be intended [and seemed ideal] as a cross-trainer for their 22lr FAS602. The new 6004 is a far better mate to bullseye and standard pistols than the Izzy.

If your game is Free Pistol, then the heavier and longer Izzy might be a good choice for days when you can't get to the range.

FYI:
Although the website said "in stock" when I ordered on 12 August, Chiappa USA never shipped my 6004. I've cancelled and will re-order from Airguns of Arizona. At this time, Chiappa in Ohio appears to be a better distributor than retailer.
Rover

Post by Rover »

I agree. I found Chiappa in the US unresponsive. I know and have shot with the owner of Airguns of Arizona. He's a bit aggressive, but he'll take care of you.
Jkvandal

Post by Jkvandal »

Rover wrote:I personally would go with the FAS without the fancy grips (for your purpose), but remember that you cannot use crap American targets. You'll need the spendy Euros and use light pellets. I recommend RWS Basics as they are cheap, light, and good.
Rover, are you saying I need different targets because of the lower velocity of the 6004 and hence lighter pellets as well?

I was hoping to just be able to print my own targets and back them with cardboard for practice at home. Thanks everyone for the feedback.
Rover

Post by Rover »

I'm saying EXACTLY that!

Buy some decent targets, it won't bust your hump, especially when you can put ten shots on a target. I don't know the velocity of light pellets out of the 6004, but I get 45 MORE fps from my LP1 than I do with heavy pellets.

I have actually tried different targets and pellets with a FAS 604, thus my recommendation.
Jkvandal

Post by Jkvandal »

Rover, thanks so much for the tips!

Where would be a good source for the high quality euro targets?
Wynne G Oldman

Post by Wynne G Oldman »

Jkvandal wrote:Where would be a good source for the high quality euro targets?
http://targets.krueger-shops.eu/index.p ... G9n2qJRlF2
Morini 162 EI
Anschutz 1913 Supermatch
slofyr

Post by slofyr »

Wynne G Oldman wrote:
Jkvandal wrote:Where would be a good source for the high quality euro targets?
http://targets.krueger-shops.eu/index.p ... G9n2qJRlF2
In the US they ship from Oregon.... http://tinyurl.com/pt88mwe
ScottF

Post by ScottF »

To Benny or Leon or anyone else who has both a FAS 604 and a 6004:
How does the fit and finish and manufacturing quality of the 6004 compare to the 604?
Is there more left-right "play" in the barrel hinge (where the barrel tips up and down) in one over the other?
Is the wood-to-metal and metal-to-metal fit better in one over the other? e.t.c...
Benny

Post by Benny »

Hello ScottF,

Sorry for my late reply. So far I haven't found any real difference as far as fit and finish between the 604 and 6004. None of my FAS pistols have any left right play in the hinge area.

Regarding pellets, I didn't find the RWS Basics or even Meisterkuglens to group as well as the JSB 7.3gr (4.49) match pellets. The JSBs also cut a cleaner hole. That said every pistol is different so someone else's pistol might group better with basics. :)
Rover

Post by Rover »

In my tests, nothing grouped as well as JSB light pellets, but the Basics were less than half the price.

How did you test your FAS?
Leon

Post by Leon »

Finally picked up my new FAS 6004 today. Customs and police paperwork took forever.

Initial impressions -

Huge improvement in quality and in fit/finish over the FAS 604 - which have a cottage-industry look about them..

Grips are very well made and fit nicely. Nice wood too. The Morini grips on my FAS 604 seem clunky in comparison.

FAS have made a smart move in outsourcing production to Chiappa and I am looking forward to acquiring a Chiappa made FAS 607 when they become available.
ScottF

Post by ScottF »

When I received my FAS 6004 from Airguns of Arizona, I also received a chrony test of five shots using RWS 7 grain Hobby pellets (dated 30 Sept 2014). The results are as follows from the first to the fifth shot:
1. 359 fps
2. 326 fps
3. 336 fps
4. 333 fps
5. 321 fps
I asked Airguns of Arizona for an interpretation of the results. Their reply was that it is normal for the velocity of the first shot to be well greater than the velocity of the following shots, but that velocity would likely even out at around the same velocity of the following shots.

My concern is: Is a velocity in the 320's and 330's too low (or normal) for the FAS 6004 (with a 7 grain pellet)?
To others with a 6004, what are the chrony results that came with your 6004 (or later chrony results)?
rmca

Post by rmca »

ScottF wrote:My concern is: Is a velocity in the 320's and 330's too low (or normal)
That velocity is very low. I don't know if its normal for the FAS, but it isn't normal for any decent target pistol I know...
Just for reference a Steyr LP10 clocks around 155 to 160 m/s (525 fps), as do most CA air pistols.
A crappy Gamo Compact does about 120m/s (394fps), and that isn't enough to cut clean holes on the target (with the same 7gr pellets)

Hope this helps
Wynne G Oldman

Post by Wynne G Oldman »

ScottF wrote:When I received my FAS 6004 from Airguns of Arizona, I also received a chrony test of five shots using RWS 7 grain Hobby pellets (dated 30 Sept 2014). The results are as follows from the first to the fifth shot:
1. 359 fps
2. 326 fps
3. 336 fps
4. 333 fps
5. 321 fps
I asked Airguns of Arizona for an interpretation of the results. Their reply was that it is normal for the velocity of the first shot to be well greater than the velocity of the following shots, but that velocity would likely even out at around the same velocity of the following shots.

My concern is: Is a velocity in the 320's and 330's too low (or normal) for the FAS 6004 (with a 7 grain pellet)?
To others with a 6004, what are the chrony results that came with your 6004 (or later chrony results)?
Hobby's are a bit tight in the barrel, you'd probably get higher velocity with R10 Match. Still, it does seem very low. I think I read somewhere that the 6004 should have a velocity of around 400 fps.

EDIT: Yes, 400 fps on Chiappa's website.

http://www.chiappafirearms.com/product/2681
Morini 162 EI
Anschutz 1913 Supermatch