New FWB 300 owner- sight question

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

MonkTx

New FWB 300 owner- sight question

Post by MonkTx »

Hello all,

I have been lurking for a while and just recently purchased an FWB 300 to use for backyard practice for highpower competition and I have a question for those more knowledgeable about these air rifles than I am.

The manual is not very clear for me on how the rear sight attaches- is the sight supposed to have a little front to back play when attached? Also, can someone tell me what size inserts I need to order for the front sight as I only have one? I don't know if you measure the diameter of the circular part or across the insert from one tab to the other.

Thanks,
Monte
justadude

Post by justadude »

Monk,

When the rear sight is attached it should be firm. I sold my FWB 300 many moons ago so my memory is a touch rusty but if I rember that one correctly there were a series of notches across the receiver and the thumbscrew that tightened the rear sight was also a crossbolt that went through the notch. Postion the rear sight where you like, run the thumbscrew/crossbolt though the appropriate notch then continue to make the thumbscrew quite firm and the frame of the rear sight should clamp down on the dovetail making the sight assembly firm.

Note, assuming you have reasonably strong hands you should not require tools to make this happen. Most precision air rifles respond well to gentle pressure and judicious use of tools.

As for the front sight aperatures. Are you talking about size for the sighting ring or just the physical aperature that goes into the front sight tunnel? Many of the earlier European front sight tunnels take an 18mm outside diameter insert. Numerous companies manufacture clear plastic insert that drop right in. Now, what size? Assuming the precision 10m Air Rifle target fired at from 10m most people like something in the low 4s.. 4.1 to 4.4 being typical. Just off the cuff, smaller than 3.9 is just too small. If you are shooting different targets or different distances then a little more trial and error will be required. (or a calculator if you are comfortable with that kind of math.)

To verify a few things regarding the front sight inserts try calling Neal Stepp at International Shooter Service 817-595-2090. His shop has been in business since the FWB 300 was one of the front running air rifles so he can likely get you pointed in the right direction.

Cheers,
'Dude
GaryN

Post by GaryN »

This is what I would recommend. This way you can determine for yourself which insert hole size is best for YOU. Also as conditions and your hold changes, you can change inserts to match.

http://www.championshooters.com/store/p ... 332&page=2

Call them first, as I am not sure if this is the size for your FWB300.