Experience With Federal "UltraMatch" .22 Ammo in Semi-Autos?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Gwhite

Experience With Federal "UltraMatch" .22 Ammo in Semi-Autos?

Post by Gwhite »

The team I coach recently ordered 4 cases of CCI standard velocity .22 ammo from a special program for schools run by Vista Outdoors, which is the parent company of both Federal & CCI. Instead of CCI ammo, they sent us 4 cases of Federal UltraMatch. The published velocity of the UltraMatch is 1080 fps, and the CCI is 1070 fps, but those are both measured in a rifle barrel.

I will contact them tomorrow to see what they want us to do, but I was wondering if anyone has any experience with this ammunition in high end target .22 pistols. The team has a mix of five Pardini SP's, and over 20 Benelli MPO90/95's. Pinpoint accuracy isn't as much of an issue as reliable cycling.

So, has anyone here had any experience with this stuff? It would be great if someone could compare it with CCI.

Thanks!
BEA

Re: Experience With Federal "UltraMatch" .22 Ammo in Semi-Au

Post by BEA »

Look at the box and see if it says made in Germany. If it does, it is very good ammo and they sent you better ammo than you ordered. The lot I had was very accurate.
northpaw

Post by northpaw »

Federal .22 RF ammo made in Germany? Are you kidding me?
Have never seen any Federal (or CCI) .22 RF ammo made in Germany, and find it kind of hard to believe. (Please correct me if I`m wrong.)
Rover

Post by Rover »

If you don't want to open the cases, just buy a box or two and give it a try.

Back when .22s were hard to come by, I was using anything I could find and it all did surprisingly well.
Christopher Miceli

Post by Christopher Miceli »

northpaw wrote:Federal .22 RF ammo made in Germany? Are you kidding me?
Have never seen any Federal (or CCI) .22 RF ammo made in Germany, and find it kind of hard to believe. (Please correct me if I`m wrong.)
You would be wrong.

The spendy federal stuff is made by RUAG in Fürth Germany where RWS is made.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

I sent them an email asking how they would like us to handle it. I suspect they will give us permission to test a brick and see how it does. If it doesn't function well, I may be able to work out a deal with the school's rifle team.

The reason I'm nervous is that I used to shoot Federal #711 .22 (1100 fps), and it shot great. They loaded it down to 1080 fps (#711B), and it would no longer cycle my pistols reliably. I've been shooting 711B in my free pistol ever since because I had most of a case left over.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

Federal responded fairly quickly and said to go ahead & test it. If we have problems with it, we'll work something out.

I have two pistols (a Benelli MP90S and a Walther GSP) that are both a little fussy about ammo. We'll test them next week and see how they like the new stuff.
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

BEA wrote:Look at the box and see if it says made in Germany.
Please TRY to be less idiotic. Pretty please.
The Geco brand ammo (under the RUAG umbrella, their el-cheapo line) is presently made by Federal. And NOT the other way around.

Alexander
Christopher Miceli

Alexander wrote:
The Geco brand ammo (under the RUAG umbrella, their el-cheapo line) is presently made by Federal. And NOT the other way around.

Alexander
Not only are you wrong,you’re wanker as well

BEA

Post by BEA »

Thank you Chris and I accept your apology Alexander. Have a nice day.
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

Christopher Miceli wrote:Not only are you wrong
Which syllable of the word "pre-sent-ly" is inintelligible to you?

Gwhite (the guy who is wont to feed junk ammunition to his trainees in national championships and in all earnest calls this coaching, since, to quote him, they are not worth anything better) has asked in this thread about amunition delivered in 2018.

Not about 2008 vintages. Ten years ago. When Federal helplessly imported a batch of RWS because they were unable to ever live up to the time when they (once) made a REAL "Ultra Match" themselves. A time which I well remember

Alexander
Christopher Miceli

Dang...you a salty little turd. Your posts are useless without pictures
BEA

Post by BEA »

BEA wrote:Look at the box and see if it says made in Germany. If it does, it is very good ammo and they sent you better ammo than you ordered. The lot I had was very accurate.
Mr Alexander, you are indeed a caustic personality. What part of my original statement would make you want to refer to me as "idiotic?"

What a pity that such a simple inquiry about 22 ammo could turn so sour.

But at any rate, good shooting to you...and bless your heart.
SamEEE

Post by SamEEE »

Image Image
samg

Post by samg »

Alexander wrote:

Alexander
Why pay attention to this troll. He obviously has an agenda.
Christopher Miceli

Alexander wrote:
Christopher Miceli wrote:Not only are you wrong
Which syllable of the word "pre-sent-ly" is inintelligible to you?

Gwhite (the guy who is wont to feed junk ammunition to his trainees in national championships and in all earnest calls this coaching, since, to quote him, they are not worth anything better) has asked in this thread about amunition delivered in 2018.

Not about 2008 vintages. Ten years ago. When Federal helplessly imported a batch of RWS because they were unable to ever live up to the time when they (once) made a REAL "Ultra Match" themselves. A time which I well remember

Alexander

Damn Alexis you must be ignorant. ECC 2008 is for the European Control Conference, not the date of manufacturing. Other people’s children I swear.
SlartyBartFast

Post by SlartyBartFast »

It's one thing to be an arrogant ass when it's uncalled for. It's quite another to be an arrogant ass AND be proven wrong when calling others idiotic. LOL!

I have no knowledge of the manufacturing history of this brand of ammo, but I'm definitely picking up a box if I see it on a store's shelves.

Even the box currently shown on the Federal website quite clearly (although the text is blurry when zoomed in) shows the "Made in Germany, Imported by".

The only quibble I'd have is that what Chris says is "ECC" seems to me to read "FCC". Which would be that the Copyright is attributed to the "Federal Cartridge Company" a subsidiary of Vista Outdoor Inc.

I think I've found a business card for Alexander. But maybe need to change "Arrogant" for "Sarcastic"
- Smith & Wesson SW22 Victory
- FAS SP607
Christopher Miceli

SlartyBartFast wrote:It's one thing to be an arrogant ass when it's uncalled for. It's quite another to be an arrogant ass AND be proven wrong when calling others idiotic. LOL!

I have no knowledge of the manufacturing history of this brand of ammo, but I'm definitely picking up a box if I see it on a store's shelves.

Even the box currently shown on the Federal website quite clearly (although the text is blurry when zoomed in) shows the "Made in Germany, Imported by".

The only quibble I'd have is that what Chris says is "ECC" seems to me to read "FCC". Which would be that the Copyright is attributed to the "Federal Cartridge Company" a subsidiary of Vista Outdoor Inc.

I think I've found a business card for Alexander. But maybe need to change "Arrogant" for "Sarcastic"

oh my..... you are correct FCC....i was testing you..... i think. Either way Alexis was wrong. Here is a picture of a new Federal Ultra Match purchased today.

Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

The UltraMatch ammo we got by mistake is made in Germany. I suspected that might be possible when we initially opened a case up and one of the corner "bricks" had a nice lifting ribbon tied around it. We have RWS Target Rifle that comes packed that way, so it's quite possible they are the actual manufacturer, unless all the German ammo companies use that feature. One of the coaches who is familiar with SK ammo says the lubricant on the stuff we have isn't slimy enough to be SK...

We've shot RWS Target Rifle in quite a few of our Benellis successfully over the years, so I'm hoping this will be similar. Oddly enough, RWS "Target Pistol" isn't nearly as reliable in the Benellis as "Target Rifle."
Jon Math

Post by Jon Math »

I’ve always believed that Benelli when translated from Italian to English is: “double alibi” :D I never owned a pistol that was so darn picky about ammo.